your favorite feints

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't have to be blocked. Someone who front snap kicks will get padduh chagi to the body or face in response.

Of course, that presumes that their kick is faster than mine. You have no real basis for making that assumption.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, I didn't mean that moving inside caused confusion...The opening post asked for our "personal favorite feints"....short of actually sparring you, I'll do my best to elaborate....as I'm countering, if I notice my opponent is starting to telegraph or appears to be figuring out their next move..I'll use my back leg to vault myself forward and inside - and from there I am able to get in a clean kick or straight punch...Note, this is not merely stepping inside - which, granted - would not cause confusion..this is a straight launch (about 3 feet) - it's quick and most importantly, it works for me and is and has been effective...and since the post asked for our personal favorites - this is mine, I thought of it..I use it and it works for me...Further, and for that reason - ANY disrespect toward my dojang is not appreciated.

A much better description, and something I have done on occassion myself.

No disrespect intended. Some schools teach sport. That's fine, so long as people know what they're learning.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, that presumes that their kick is faster than mine. You have no real basis for making that assumption.

Actually, no presumption is necessary, because while speed matters, it isn't the deciding factor. Tim Thackery taught us that.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
A much better description, and something I have done on occassion myself.

No disrespect intended. Some schools teach sport. That's fine, so long as people know what they're learning.

That's cool, and believe me!! We don't move ahead at our school until we know and our school is growing all the time...(side note, we had about 20 more students testing this past weekend, than we did - same weekend last year!)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To actually talk about our favorite feints.......

Mine is to skip in and do a fake with the front leg, and then (when the opponent leans away or blocks that side) to turn it into a jump roundhouse to the head with the back leg. Nothing super sophisticated, but it works for me alright. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Earl Weiss Lead hand Jab tothe head. Get them to raise their arms to open the body.

This tells me that your comfortable pre-engagement distance is standing in reachable distance. Put another way, if you tried this feint against someone well trained in the modern competition training methods, he would stand there in front of you, his arms down, and wouldn't react, because he would be at unreachable kicking distance, much farther than reachable punching distance. Or prior to you doing your lead jab, you would be lumbering or inching your way in QUOTE]

You are not standing in reachable distance because the lead hand jab is coupled with a lead foot step to close the gap.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Earl Weiss Lead hand Jab tothe head. Get them to raise their arms to open the body.

This tells me that your comfortable pre-engagement distance is standing in reachable distance. Put another way, if you tried this feint against someone well trained in the modern competition training methods, he would stand there in front of you, his arms down, and wouldn't react, because he would be at unreachable kicking distance, much farther than reachable punching distance. Or prior to you doing your lead jab, you would be lumbering or inching your way in QUOTE]

You are not standing in reachable distance because the lead hand jab is coupled with a lead foot step to close the gap.
Aka, how most Jabs are done in Boxing. I agree.

Latest Discussions