You Know You're Hooked on Karate When...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You Know You're Hooked on Karate When...
By De Stewart

Do you wake up Saturday mornings stiff and sore? Is another night like Friday night the only thing that will make you feel better? Do you workout alone? Do you find that once you've thrown a jab, you can't stop until you've followed it with a reverse punch? If so, you may be (gasp!!) HOOKED ON KARATE. How do you know? Here are a few clues.

You know you're hooked when the first word out of your parrot's mouth is KIAI!, and you teach your cat how to free spar.

You know you're hooked when you have more bruises than a roller derby queen, and you still go back for more.

You know you're hooked when you shut the refrigerator door with a side thrust kick.

You know you're hooked when you shop for clothes based on whether you can kick in them.

You know you're hooked when the only clothes you'll wear are gis.

You know you're hooked when you actually crave a beach workout.

You know you're hooked when the books on your night stand are by authors like Gichin Funakoshi, Hirokazu Kanazawa and Musashi Miyamoto.

You know you're hooked when the Twelve Days of Christmas becomes: one boxing bag, two boxing gloves, three shin pads (includes an extra pad for the one you'll inevitably lose), four Tokaido gi's, five rolls of adhesive tape....twelve cases of Tiger Balm.

You know you're hooked when you look for a place to live based on the amount of practice space it provides.

You know you're hooked when you refuse to wear shoes.

Well, how did you score? Does any of these situations sound familiar? If so, it's hopeless - you're hooked. The only option now is to join CKA, Compulsive Karatekas Anonymous. Don't fret though. I'm sure you'll find plenty of familiar faces. See you there.

R

Rob_Broad

I will keep my score to myself.

Hi my name is Rob and I..........

T

tunetigress

Hi, my name is Tune, and I am methodically working my way through the 12 steps of Karate Addiction. I can identify with the shutting of a refrigerator door with a side thrust kick! Any oppor'Tune'ity for training! LOL! Karatekas Anonymous Unite!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guilty of kicking objects that should not be kicked.

With my current FMA practice, I find I start doing FMA footwork if I end up standing still too long. People think I'm doing some goofy dance :)

Cthulhu

T

tunetigress

My family has learned to stay clear of the kitchen when I'm cooking, cuz I tend to run through my competition Hand Set while waiting for something to fry, and there is only just enough space to do it, albeit gently! They are all very thankful that I must go to the basement to practice my Staff set! LOL!!!

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tunetigress

Hi, my name is Tune, and I am methodically working my way through the 12 steps of Karate Addiction.

:rofl:

"Hi, I'm Chris and I'm a Karateholic.
I used to think I could stop if I wanted to... but I realize now I was wrong." ;)

Take care

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just reread this...

Oh man, I'm beyond help!

"Hi, my name is Bob, and I need help."

:D

R

Rob_Broad

I've been to those meetings, usually end up leaving with some bruises.

T

Ty K. Doe

How about if you rent a new martial arts movie everyday, even though you know your wife is going to wig out if you bring just one more home, but you can't help it and as you try to talk yourself out of it you go into cold sweats because you just gotta have it, then you give in and get it anyway?

Wait, that's just being a lazy couch potato who wishes he could do what they do in the movies, but never gets off his but to practice because he's too busy being a couch potato watching the movies.

T

TLH3rdDan

is it a bad thing that i have rented every MA movie at blockbuster and hollywood video 3 or 4 times??? could i be addicted??? you know its bad when you are practicing your finger strikes on your dash when your sitting at a red light... i get lots of strange looks for some reason when i do that lol

T

tunetigress

Ty, you don't have it too bad if you are still just RENTING videos! Just wait till my hubby gets a load of all the videos I just bought off E-bay! LOL just wait till he sees that Visa bill. I think I just may be in for a bit of trouble on this one, I think your wife should count her blessings, cuz at least you are gonna take THOSE darn videos back. LMAO! :rofl:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with ya Chris.

Hi my name is Laurie S and I am a karateholic.

I do almost all the stuff above ...... Oh my Lord! The 12 step program will not help me :shrug:

T

tonbo

*ahem*

Uh...hello.....my name is....uh....tonbo, and I am a karateholic. I admit it.

I have been addicted for years.....and even worse, I got members of my family addicted.....even my own children.....and my wife.....

....it started out *so* small....just a technique here and there....my first week was free......then it turned into sparring sessions and forms practice......I would practice forms wherever I was, whether I was in public or not......

....then I earned my Black Belt, and it just got worse.....I began reading more about martial arts.....and it turned into a gateway addiction.....now I have experimented with other martial arts as well....

....I can't help it.....I'm hooked.....addicted.....and there is no cure, at least, not for me.......

:D

But what a way to go.......:D

Peace--

V

VampyrSoul2000

Well now... all I can say is that the side thrust kick on the fridge door usually happens when I have my hands full.
Testing out the pants with kicks just means you can move in them.
And what's wrong with having lots of room in your apartment?

lol

VSoul

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
What about watching a MA vid and screaming at the screen because the technique is so poor then getting really worked up because somebody got paid 4 times your annual salary for doing it?????

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
What about browsing the Martial Arts section at the local bookstore.....

Got that one....and that one....and that on is on order....that one is cheaper on EBay......photocopied that one (Did I say that out loud?)

Thanks
jeremy bays

T

tonbo

I find myself doing that a lot.

Actually, one of my most memorable experiences was watching some movie with my brother, an army ranger. The main character was doing both military-type stuff and MA techniques....and we would each slam the character when he was doing our respective "strengths". It was a hoot, since we were doing it as if the main character could actually *hear* us...;)

Peace--

Latest Discussions