You english speakers have it all wrong!!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As long as we're taking each other to school I'd better show yinz how it's really done. I'm from Pittsburgh. Take notes:

[yt]dEyJjAAPy38[/yt]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ohhh man...that is wrong on so many levels.... :lfao: :lfao:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I'm beginning to understand why you Americans feel you are misunderstood!
icon10.gif

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pittsburghese comes from Pennsylvania Dutch, a descendent of Dutch settlers back in da day. Every time I hear it I get nostalgic; as the years go by I've lost my fluency.

The infinite variations on American English fascinate me. As I searched youtube for just the right illustration of Pittsburghese, I also found a beautiful description of Gullah english:

[yt]LvuWSJI87r8[/yt]

And of course there's Cajun, Amish, Appalachian, it just goes on and on. I think I missed my true calling as a linguist. I would have been cunning indeed.

Oh wait ... wrong thread. :p

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LMAO! That was so wrong. LOL! My mother-in-law is Pennsylvania Dutch so I'm quite familiar with many PD terms. ;)

Chicagoans also have their own unique way of speaking/slang. A couple examples: Jewel/Osco is a large grocery store chain here, you will hear some people say they are going to "da jewels". Also "You guys" refers to speaking to anyone more than a group of two, be they male or female. "You guys wanna get some pizza?" Those with a *heavy* Chicago accent will say, "Youz guys". :D

Latest Discussions