How to speak Canadian

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Ken :D. My time in Canada amounted to only three weeks and you chaps are wonderful to Englishmen so I never got to dig deeply into slang. I had the odd chuckle about "Aboot" and "Inzzert" but that was the extent of it.

I was much more affected by the excellent service in restaurants, despite my huge under-tipping for the first week because I didn't know any better :eek:. My most favoured memory was free bottles of Nookie Brown from the managers private store all night in the 'English Pub' in Calgary because I took a draught pint back to the bar as "Undrinkable" {it really was vile}. The other one was going back, in week three, to a restaurant I'd been to in week one and the waitress remembering who I was, where I'd sat and what I'd had! Outstanding :applause;.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am Canadian, and except for a couple words I havent heard yet, this list is pretty much right on, eh. :)

I'd like to add though that 'hydro' is a word you hear from 'Up-along' or 'the mainland' as we Newfoundlanders call the rest of Canada, because we're an island, you see. Down here, we say 'the power's off' ( we Newfoundlanders often have our own way of speaking, there is even a dictionary for it....and most of the words I dont even know though I am a Newfoundlander. I didnt grow up hearing the words unique to Newfoundland. some people in my family think its a shame, but i dont care. Not gonna hurt me if I never heard them.)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]BRI-A3vakVg[/yt]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually tell a Canadian from an American accent, I find Canadians a little crisper, pronounce words just a little more.
Cliff Thorburn, my favourite Canadian could watch and listen to him for hours.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can usually tell a Canadian from an American accent, I find Canadians a little crisper, pronounce words just a little more.
Cliff Thorburn, my favourite Canadian could watch and listen to him for hours.

Have a listen to one of my favourite Canadian broadcasters, Tez. Rex Murphy, who reports on CBC television and radio, is from the Province of Newfoundland. "The Rock," as is sometimes referred to, was a British Protectorate until it joined the Confederation in 1949. Newfoundland, like the rest of Atlantic Canada, is home to some remarkable dialects and also very interesting speakers because of the region's oral tradition.

My mother was born in Newfoundland -- pre-Confederation. Her dialect faded over the years but would awaken when she visited home. As a child I delighted in listening to my extended family speaking.

In this YouTube link, Rex Murphy discusses Canada's controversial national gun registry.

More on Newfoundland English here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_English

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions