YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have received the first piece of junk mail that I can directly connect to the KKW 17th F.I.C.: A 2010 calendar from the Korea Tourism Organization. It's actually cool, though. Nice pictures from the Korean countryside.

I got mine on Saturday. Hopefully, that's all we get.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my calendar too. I called and asked to be taken off of the list. Has anyone heard when we will get our certification? I am planning on going to Korea next year to do the REAL course so I do not feel bad about displaying the certification.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am planning on going to Korea next year to do the REAL course so I do not feel bad about displaying the certification.

Looking at this report from Gerry Reilly, a UK practioner, who attended the 14th Kukkiwon FIC in Korea in 2006, I'd say the 17th FIC in Chicago wasn't as bad as we think, save for some of the terrible lectures we've talked about on this thread. This applies to those who studied the Kukkiwon course book -- which I think is a terrible textbook -- entirely before the course and had also done some serious practice of basic, movements and modern WTF poomsae on their own, before the event.

According to Mr. Reilly, it really doesn't seem as though the course in Korea should take five days. The only thing done on Day 1 for the 14th FIC was hotel registration. A large part of Day 2 was spent on lectures and visits with Taekwondo officials. The report goes on and on, and the final impression I get is that a few minor tweaks of the more affordable and convenient Chicago course would have made it very good. The meat of the of the 14th FIC in Korea was Poomsae training. That was the case in Chicago, but we just didn't have enough space, instructors and time allocated to that training. Read on: http://www.chungdokwan.org.uk/Newsletter/CDK_Newsletter_Jan2007.pdf

FLTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
I did the 16th instructors course in july. From what I have read here their is a lot different. We spent 2 days just working on poomsae both days started a 8:30 a.m. and ended at 7:00 p.m. About 4 hours were spent on olympic sparring foot work on on of the five days. We did spent time in the class room, but the topics were a little different. I enjoyed the classroom time.

Not to say it was better or worse, just different. But keep in mind, It was in Korea! in the "Kukkiwon!" Just can't get better then that!

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this, since doing the course I have done my forms almost daily and with a new passion. If nothing else you meet great people and I bet can find a spark that can be applied somewhere in your training.

Dave O.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this, since doing the course I have done my forms almost daily and with a new passion. If nothing else you meet great people and I bet can find a spark that can be applied somewhere in your training.

Dave O.

Me too! I have been more excited to practice Tae Gueks after that weekend than I have in a long time. I have been doing TKD for a long time, and have always loved it, but it is nice to get a little "spark" now and then!

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is how I felt after I attended a Poomsae seminar with Master Park from the KKW. I have been to 4 different Poomsae seminars put on by the KKW and each one of them was awesome...Just like you....because....
YOU ARE AWESOME!

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow...you guys (and gals) are all awesome. This thread will soon be in the top ten (total visits) in this section. Not that it was my intention or anything, but it is cool.
I hope that everyone had a good holiday and remember......
YOU ARE AWESOME
unless you do tkd dance.....it is just wierd to me.....sorry

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got this from the USTC....

To All,

USTC President Sang Lee returned from Korea on Christmas Day and brought with him the Kukkiwon Master Instructor Course Certificates. Today I received from him the Kukkiwon Instructor Course Certificates and Kukkiwon ID Cards for those of you who are 4th Dan and above. For those of you who are 3rd Dan, upon receiving your 4th Dan from Kukkiwon you need only send $50
to USTC and we will get your Instructor Course Certificate processed and sent to you.

I plan to mail out the Kukkiwon Instructor Certificates to you during the first week in January, or very shortly thereafter. I still must sort, stuff into mailers, address them all and get them to the US Post Office. So, I appreciate your understanding for the brief time that it will take for me to get the certificates mailed to you. I do have them in my warm hands.

As a reminder, some of you still need to send to me proof of 1st Aid Certification on proof of having completed the Background Check. I will hold onto your certificate until I receive the requested proof. You may send it to me via this email, as some of you have done.

Finally, there are a few of you who applied while 3rd Dan but have since received your 4th Dan. I need for you to send me the $50 payment (Check made out to USTC) so that I can forward your Kukkiwon Instructor Certificate to you.

~Bruce Harris
Executive Director,
USTC

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got this from the USTC....

To All,

USTC President Sang Lee returned from Korea on Christmas Day and brought with him the Kukkiwon Master Instructor Course Certificates. Today I received from him the Kukkiwon Instructor Course Certificates and Kukkiwon ID Cards for those of you who are 4th Dan and above.

Me too.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me three....which is a little strange since my Instructor Certificate from 2004 came directly from KKW.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Me three....which is a little strange since my Instructor Certificate from 2004 came directly from KKW.

Yeah, it is strange, but I really thought we would never receive them. Guess I'll believe it when I see it...

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you are from Missouri, aren't you?!:ultracool
It seems appropriate!

Iceman, that's appropriate indeed. I also reside in the Show Me State. On the same topic, I've seen some grandmasters with pull get dan certificates directly from the Kukkiwon for distribution to their student so it's a safe guess to assume the USTC folks also have the clout to get the instructor certificates in the same way. USTC after all convinced the Kukkiwwon to deliver the 17th FIC in Chicago.

On a side note I wish all the awesome folks a very, very Happy New Year.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get them to get my name correct on initial certificate that they gave us. I email Master Harris once a month about it. He's is yet to respond to my latest email of a few days ago. All I want is my name spelled correctly. Is that too much to ask?!

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Is that too much to ask?!"
Maybe : )
As you may have noticed every time I was missing on the sheets, turns out my number got mixed up. At the end I of course also had no certificate. The funny part is the guy from the Kukkiwon looked at my name and said he made it. To be fair when we got upstairs and he opened the computer my name was there and it looked like it should have been made. Best we could figure two numbers overlapped/got shared. Either way he pulled the one and only last cert out and made mine. Just then a Korean gentleman came up to their suite as well with the spelling problem. All I heard was a lot of Korean and pointing and then he handed him a pen and said in english " just scratch out" " "it will be right at Kukkiwon".
My 3rd Dan school cert also got messed up. My teacher at the presentation ran in back and used another one that been made so it too looked horrible. He also said "whats the big deal?" "Your Kukkiwon one will be right".
So maybe the lesson is we worry to much about these things. At the same time if your stuffs wrong at the Kukkiwon, good luck! Thats a big problem
: o

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, hopefully DOrtiz you got your KTO calendar!

All humor aside, I've never tried to get a spelling error from KKW corrected so I don't know how hard it is to do so. Hopefully you won't have to learn either!

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup, they had no problem getting me on the that list : )

By the way gang, Happy New Year and lets all have a really great one.

Latest Discussions