Yellow Belt techniques...

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Hmmm, question then. Do the advanced belts at your school do Delayed Sword on the left side for a requirement?

I was under suspect that the Ed Parker System of Kenpo was a right handed system and that's why the techniques are designed the way they are. (If you notice, most start with your right side forward).

:asian:

Only because this is a Right dominant World(does it seem that it is right handed system) , there have been case studies, I don't have the number in front of me of ratio of right handed attackers to left handed attackers, I believe it is 9:1. Plus if you look at your classes how many left handed people are there.
No it is not a requirement for advanced belts. It is something that is asked of us to do on our own time, and there are times were we will do the techniques on the left side, in group classes. It is something not to be neglected. It should be done, and done often. It gives you so many more answers to any type of attack.

Michael

P.S. Remember this is only one answer of many.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

To quote the Purple Belt saying #6 ...

While there is a difference between the terms "opposite" and "reverse", both provide answers to THOROUGHLY UNDERSTANDING the effects of motion.

Very well put. Are those sayings in any of Parkers books? I would like to read the rest of them. I only own Infinite Insights 4,5, and the Encyclopedia.

Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, thanks I knew a lot of them, but not nearly all of them. You are definately a fountain of information.

Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

I am not saying not to practice the left side of the techniques, you can do what you want, I thought the forms taught you the opposites and reverse of Kenpo?

Besides if you think of it, for every attack you can think of there is a technique that combats it. Aren't most of them dirivatives of other techniques?:asian:

Neither am I. You should practice both the left and right side of techniques. And yes forms teach us many, many things. I am sure they teach me concepts that I will never know.
Yes they are diivatives from other techniques, Look at how many have the same motion but different targets, or weapons, or stances, look for the similarities in the differences and the differnces in the similarities.

Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score

ambidextrous freedom that will result in training the opposites, and of course the physical gain from the training.... a win win as I see it. It can't hurt.

Ohhhhh.........it could hurt especially if I am on the recieving end of it.....:D :eek: :D

Michael

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My reaction is to try to move my groin out of the way, thus bending over allowing the hands to loosen if not let go all together.

I agree with you though Gou, I like spreading branch much more.
You said the "old" spreading branch, are there two kinds?

cha ching (my 2 cents)

Chuck

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There was an irate jerk that went by the name of "Dutch" that talked big, but proved to be little.

Will Gou get to come back?

:shrug:

Chuck

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

"Also that some of the techniques if not all were formed from existing techniques in the system"

Lets look at this statement...........

Ok, now lets everyone try to develop a "new" Self Defense Technique of some sort without resembling existing techniques ........

Let me know what you come up with.......

Careful GD, your starting to sound like Mr. Planas :D

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told the reason for doing aggressive twins instead of alternating maces, is that alternating maces doesn't really work when done with any power in the block (it tends to move the attacker out of position and cover the targets). Now I learned
Alternating maces from my first kenpo instructor and Aggressive twins from my current one.
When I learned Alternating maces is was from a low two hand push, but I have seen it done from a high two hand push. When done low I think it works, but when done from a high push I tend to agree that it doesn't work right. Aggressive twins feels real easy to do and hit the targets intended. :shrug:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
High chest push - then you do a right inward block to the left arm, followed by a left vertical punch to ? , then a right backfist to ?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So when you do the block followed by the downward forearm block, wouldn't the target for the left vertical punch be covered up by the arms?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you guys have been doing this a lot longer that I have, those are just some of things that happen when I try to do it.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker himself put the Yellow Belt together ... Do you think someone else snuck it by him? He also did the revisions, Dropping Aggressive Twins, Spreading Branch, The Pincher, & Intellectual Departure..... and decided to insert Alternating Maces, Captured Twigs, The Grasp of Death and Sword and Hammer! Are you telling me he didn't know what he was doing? Sure sounds like it to me.

Do you know why he dropped those and added the others, did he ever explain why?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to add to what GD said, like he needs any help :shrug: ,
I think the techniques are to just give you an idea of what you could do and how to put the principles to use.

(am I close GD?)

OP
R

Rainman

Those are interesting ideas and in turn gave me some ideas for study. One place where your ideas can be cross checked and debated is the wording. That's the big thing with forums... perception and trying to get to the point of discussion without becoming frustrated. My opinion is- Thanks for the information!