Yellow Belt techniques...

OP
R

Rainman

O' Mr. Ceeee-eeeeee, What is the low line- high line- center line thing? Tool?

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that means to be in Trouble.

Dutch is Trouble. LOL

:rofl:

I keep forgetting many of you are younger and don't remember these phrases all the time. lol

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Also that some of the techniques if not all were formed from existing techniques in the system"

Lets look at this statement...........

Ok, now lets everyone try to develop a "new" Self Defense Technique of some sort without resembling existing techniques ........

Let me know what you come up with.......

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually the Yellow Belt came into being as a part of a juniors program. The consensus was that since children were now allowed to study (at one time no one under 16 was allowed to join), the original curriculum was a bit too much, so Mr. Parker was asked to develop an adjusted level - thus the Yellow Belt.

It was a success...... but soon the Adults started complaining and wanted to do the belt also..... so he added it to the adults curriculum as well.

LOL gotta keep those adults happy.... they don't want to miss anything....... lol.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hee hee......... well, He came up originally under Tom Kelly, who originally came up under Steve LaBounty who I look to for guidence.

Guess we have a good gene pool here!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

GD7,
Do you teach Intellectual Departure as part of your yellow
belt curriculum?

No, that technique was deleted years ago (early 80's). Sword and Hammer replaced it.

Just for the record however, I like the technique and use some of its movements all the time in sparring.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Were the firts four techniques of yellow belt not designed not to teach the 4 quadrants and how to protect them. Delayed Sword your upper left quandrant, Alternating maces lower quadrant, Sword of Destruction Upper right quadrant, and Intellectual Departure lower quadrant.
I have another question though, why was Intellectual Departure removed from most yellow belt curriculums.

In answer to your first question No. While Delayed Sword does cover the upper left Quad, and Sword of Destruction covers the upper right Quad, Alternating Maces does not cover the lower (you didn't say which) Quad - this technique is actually in the upper left Quad as well. and Intellectual Departure would have covered a lower left Quad if left in - Besides it was Technique # 10 in the Chart so it wouldn't fit your model anyway. So I'm not sure where your information came from.

Intellectual Departure was deleted because of the sophistication of the Technique at this level. If you examine the actions they are a little above the Yellow belt level of necessity, Sword and Hammer is much better for the beginner.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When Mr. Parker made the changes in the yellow belt I did what he wanted. That technique is nearly the same as alternating maces anyway.

I do not rearrange or delete like many, the curriculum. I understand the way they are set up and why. Any changes I always called the "Boss" for his desires and reasoning. That's why I teach the curriculum that I do...... the complete Kenpo System. I only add to and enhance never delete.

Why fix something that is not broke.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is all in how you do the initial move. Yes, since this is the 2nd technique of the Yellow Belt..... Delayed Sword utilized an Inward Strike... the 2nd technique continues the motion starting with the same action except this time it is a block instead of a Strike but.... THEN continues down turning into a downward forearm block as at this point the left hand shoots a vertical punch.

The purpose here is to continue the counter clockwise arc and learn a new definition to the action......

It's not what you know but who you know that knows! LoL:rofl: