Yellow Belt techniques...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remember "He who knows how will always be the student, he who knows why will always be the instructor" - Ed Parker

You failed to mention that you must know the "CORRECT" WHY to be the accurate instructor!

From one who does know!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kenpo 3631 stated..........
Are you telling me that the what I posted is completely wrong sir? That there are not high and low line techniques, that categories are not completed and that the Yellow techniques were placed in the system strictly for "getting your feet wet"?

And with this quote "You failed to mention that you must know the "CORRECT" WHY to be the accurate instructor!", are you saying that what I am
teaching my students is incorrect?

Please clarify for me what I missed in a nutshell
so that I can know the "true" history of the
Yellow Belt Techniques...."

My response is ..............

Yes, you are incorrect. If you check back to page two (2) of this string I gave the origin of the Yellow Belt Techniques.

Here it is again.......
--------------
"Actually the Yellow Belt came into being as a part of a juniors program. The consensus was that since children were now allowed to study (at one time no one under 16 was allowed to join), the original curriculum was a bit too much, so Mr. Parker was asked to develop an adjusted level - thus the Yellow Belt.

It was a success...... but soon the Adults started complaining and wanted to do the belt also..... so he added it to the adults curriculum as well.

LOL gotta keep those adults happy.... they don't want to miss anything....... lol".
--------------
This chart (Yellow Belt)as you pointed out before was implemented after the 32 Technique per Belt (Thru Green) was completed.

Mr. Parker himself put the Yellow Belt together ... Do you think someone else snuck it by him? He also did the revisions, Dropping Aggressive Twins, Spreading Branch, The Pincher, & Intellectual Departure..... and decided to insert Alternating Maces, Captured Twigs, The Grasp of Death and Sword and Hammer! Are you telling me he didn't know what he was doing? Sure sounds like it to me.

As far as category completion..... I asked before and got no answer...... who's term is this.... where did you get it from...... what categories and why do they need to be completed?

As to getting your feet wet..... I did NOT say that..... Rob Broad did. Please don't confuse me with anyone else. I believe the above answer that I gave on page 2 defines what I said.

I look forward to your response.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was no dummy......... the system would not be where it is today if he were. He was - as you say - always looking for better ways of doing things ....... even if it meant rearrangement or deletion. (part of our equation formula) !!

He never did anything without thorough examination and thought.
The Yellow Belt adjustments were no different.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look wandering puppy,

You can't argue with me (I refuse to do battle with an unarmed opponent ... lol)......

What I have posted is exactly what I discussed with Ed Parker. If you want to believe what Huk tells you today that's fine he can rework the system anyway he wants (but it doesn't make it gospel) ....... but Mr. Parker didn't always agree with Huk (just for your information). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I choose to follow what Mr. Parker discussed with me and what I have analyzed out for myself. You can recreate the system all day long if you try hard enough but not necessarily accomplish anything.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but if you were to sit down with a good American Kenpo Instructor you would find that we actually DO teach the principles and anatomy of an attack and much more. Sure at the basic level of learning you learn the model structure but to become a useful technique you definately need the principles.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jaybacca72
as for big guy's response i think huk is responsible for alot of the seniors in the game today but like you said his way is not the only way but it is definitely one of the most thorough and credible paths to choose.laterjay

LOL........ well, since you called me the Big Dog, I had to come up with some little fuzzy haired creature to lash back with..... :rofl: glad you got a laugh.

I believe anything is possible however not this particular story. I have been told of the introduction of the yellow Belt from several different sources (at least 4 including SGM) starting back in the late 70's when it was fresh and not retold a jillian times. So I believe it to be true. It definitely was an after thought to the 32 system and an addition to that curriculum. I was there when the change of techniques happened so I know and experienced all the whys and how's because I had to change all my charts which I didn't necessarily want to do. Some Seniors where not teaching in studios actively on a daily basis at that time or had left Mr. Parker or were not as close to the system as some (at that time).

Everyone needs to cling to their instructor and believe he is the best so I don't blame big guy for any of his reasons, (his information is 2nd hand...... I lived it DURING the time). He should follow what his instructor is teaching.

I do not disrespect Huk an iota.... in fact I still look to him for certain things and ask his opinion and take on. However I have learned not to take any one persons word as gospel particularly for one that I personally discussed certain specific Kenpo issues with the SGM myself. I personally disagree strongly with "some" of his beliefs. That's ok. I'm sure he disagrees with me on some issues.

Keep in mind, Steve LaBounty is my current instructor reverting back to him after the passing of Ed Parker, and was my instructor prior to having the opportunity of studying under Mr. Parker. Steve LaBounty, promoted Tom Kelly to Black Belt originally and Tom Kelly was Planas instructor which is where many of his root knowledge stems from. I remember my roots and my lineage of which Huk is my Uncle. So to dis him is stupid..... and wrong, but everything he says I don't necessarily agree with, that needs to be understood, I have NEVER been a yes man like some and I don't intend to start now. FYI - I even disagreed with Mr. Parker from time to time on some issues....... some I won him over, some I conceded and he showed me where my thinking was off. Simple as that. :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The American Kenpo Equation Formula is:

To any given base move whether it is a single move or a series of movements, you can:
(1) PREFIX it, add a move or moves before it,
(2) SUFFIX it, add a move or moves after it,
(3) INSERT, add a simultaneous move with the already established sequence,
(4) REARRANGE, change the sequence of the moves,
(5)ALTER the weapon, the target, or both,
(6) ADJUST the range, the angle of execution, or both the angle of execution and the range,
(7) REGULATE the speed, the force, both speed and force, intent and speed,
(8) DELETE, exclude a move or moves from the sequence.

This is one of the most improtant Kenpo Tools.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
do everything on the left as well as the right side from day one, and have been doing it that way since 1978! The students excell and have no problems what so ever....... (4-10 year olds excluded).

To quote the Purple Belt saying #6 ...

While there is a difference between the terms "opposite" and "reverse", both provide answers to THOROUGHLY UNDERSTANDING the effects of motion.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
YELLOW BELT

Distance is your best friend.
Whatever the attitude, so is the response.
When blocking on the inside of an opponent's arm, do so below the elbow, never above it.
When blocking on the outside of an opponent's arm, do so at or above the elbow, never below it.
The ankle is the wrist of the foot.
A knife edge kick is a chop with the foot.
Deflection; then infliction of pain.

ORANGE BELT

Let time be your measurement to skill and experience.
To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to believe.
In every offense there is a defense and in every defense is an offense.
Forms and sets are expressions of basic skills.
One becomes humble when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.
Condition and guts take over where knowledge and skill end.
When circular moves end, linear begin; when linear moves end, circular moves reoccur again.
Many answers lie in a single move, but many moves do not necessarily give a single answer.
There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.
He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position.

PURPLE BELT

To beat action, meet it.
Fair play is when your opponent's definition of fair play is equally matched with yours.
It is not the size of a man, but the size of fear that has been the cause of many a defeat.
Slow to learn, slow to forget.
Anger can often constipate your retaliatory efforts.
While there is a difference between the terms "opposite" and "reverse", both provide answers to thoroughly understanding the effects of motion.
Always strike from where the natural weapons are found during the time of an attack.
Wasted inches are wasted time.
Knowledge is bound when one is compelled to tradition. Knowledge is endless when tradition is bound.

BLUE BELT

Reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last is the first object to move out of the way.
To aid your action, feed it with your opponent's reaction.
A check, in most cases, is an application of, whereas a cover is used in anticipation of.
Shuffles and crossovers are movements of adjustments.
Flow first, power later.
Guts are the anesthesia that deaden the pain of fear.
The ultimate aim of Kenpo is to elongate circles and round off corners.
Low kicks are excellent weapons to neutralize your opponent's aggression. Knock out his support, and you weaken his aggressive abilities and desires.
An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.
Refinement too much time and often too little progress.
Never send an opponent's weapon into orbit to only have it re orbit back to you.
Devote time with a particular move before deciding whether it does or does not work for you.

GREEN BELT

Action with effect keeps an opponent in check.
Accuracy must accompany speed, for it takes both to secure victory.
Although belt colors show, it is no proof that you know.
To desire something does not mean to accomplish it. To perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality.
The man who knows "how" will always be a student, but the man who knows "why" will continue to be the instructor.
When a man's mind is occupied with his own injury, he is not apt to think of retaliation.
Principles of motion take precedent over the sequence of motion.
Whether it is a big ship or a little ship, the same size hole placed correctly in the hull can sink it.
Sophistication is no more than simplicity compounded.
Will power is the hammer that drives action.

THIRD BROWN

There are only a set number of basic moves all else are variations of the same.
What is truth for one may not be truth for another. The real truth for both lies in the moment of actual combat.
When you exaggerate a move you can build an offense into a defense. When you condense a move the reverse holds true.
You must earn what you learn.
Environment involves what is around you, on you, and in you at the time of confrontation.
While practice locks in our knowledge of basics, instinct is what makes it free.
Mastery of the Art comes when the tiger is seen, but the dragon prevails.
A leg that kicks can be hurt just as easily as it can hurt.
The Kenpo system is based on the outer limits of simplicity and the starting point of complexity.
Principles are the roots of a technique. Unless you have a thorough understanding of them your boundaries of limitations will always be restricted.

SECOND DEGREE BROWN BELT SAYINGS

Strikes are intermissions of relaxation.
The ears are the eyes of darkness.
Transitions are the conjunctions that bridge techniques.
Not until the brain shifts into gear with the body will the
intangible become tangible.
While the term approximately does not mean exactly, it can
lead to exact findings applicable to you.
Explosion from within is really implosion to without.
Separating your direction can also mean separating your power.
Never discard knowledge that is not applicable to you, but store it.

SAYINGS FOR FIRST BROWN

Deprivation breeds appreciation.
Desperation often hinders inspiration.
Don't look for answers beyond your realm of understanding for
more often than not, many answers are before you that have
been overlooked.
Logic, as it applies to the times, is the key.
Motion is the language of the body; properly executed, it can
be used to save your life.
Glory disrupts, power corrupts.
There are three types of motion: MOTION, EMOTION and
COMMOTION. All three can be effective, depending upon how
they are used.
Style is what an individual eventually molds for himself.
Categorize your moves as either: useful, unuseful, or useless.
First control the use of the weapon, then take control of the
weapon.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Consider the coordination gain, additional training time (which is an extremely important part of ingraining material to become extemporaneous), ambidextrous freedom that will result in training the opposites, and of course the physical gain from the training.... a win win as I see it. It can't hurt.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

At the recent OKKA camp we spent sometime with the yellowbelt techniques and found out why they were put in the order they were. It was quite interesting. Does anyone have more little tidbits on the yellow belt techniques.

I have been told why by many, what did you here?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

What would you like to know?

The order followes the Web of Knowledge....

.:)

I understand that. However it was my understanding that the yellow belt "curriculum" wasn't entered into the system until around 1970-71 or so.

Also that some of the techniques if not all were formed from existing techniques in the system.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that statement was a bit quirky...

What I was trying to imply was that the Yellow Belt techniques weren't the "original" base for the rest of the system. Rather, that the yellow techniques came into the system after it was devloped...sort of like an after thought.:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool, I have heard that the yellow techniques were put into the system because the jump from white to orange was a bit much for beginners (32 techniques and all). So, for beginners, the yellow techniques were like getting your "feet wet" so to speak.:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Cool, I have heard that the yellow techniques were put into the system because the jump from white to orange was a bit much for beginners (32 techniques and all). So, for beginners, the yellow techniques were like getting your "feet wet" so to speak.:asian:

I guess noone will ever know...:(

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started in EP Kenpo I was taught Alternating Maces and Sword and Hammer.

However, later on I was taught Intellectual Departure and Aggressive Twins.

I think the influences of Mr. Parker's students had a major role on the system. Mr. Parker borrowed allot of material from the brainstorming of his students. However, I really don't understand what principle Alternating Maces teaches and that if done by the book I found that it doesn't work. There is NO downward forearm check anywhere in the written material. I also think Sword and Hammer is redundant. It shows you target changes from the same position as Obscure Wing (something we can find through experimentation).

Intellectual Departure however, teaches you Category Completion. It works the inside of the opponents right leg as well as uses the inside vertical downward block. (Where else do you use it beside Long Form 1 if you don't teach Intellectual Departure?). Agressive Twins' inward block does the same thing as Alternating Maces however it shows you how to regain the centerline of your opponent (on the low line) by kicking him in the knee to cause his body to rotate towards you and to lower his height for the Front Kick. The high line used to regain the opponent's centerline is taught in Attacking Mace.:soapbox:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

As for Sword and Hammer being redundant I think you have t look at the order the trechniques are taught in. What comes first Sword and Hammer or Obscure Wing in the original teaching order. And is the idea of changing the targets not important enough to be repeated.

Ah-ha! That's the point! Sword and Hammer was injected into the system WAY after Obscure Wing. Remember the Yellow Belt requirements weren't in the system until around 1970-71 and at that Sword and Hammer wasn't even taught! It was Intellectual Departure!:soapbox: :asian:

Latest Discussions