WTF clubs that credits General Choi as founder and/or developer of TaeKwonDo

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that it's not an alternative version of the knife-hand. It is similar to it in a rough sense, but it is not a version of a knife-hand, at all.

Exactly. He might as well call it a punch. After all, it uses the hand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the difference between striking with a back swing as a typical knifehand, compared to a vertical trajectory with the ridgehand, but I still don't concider them completely different. In my book they are both knifehands-types of strikes due to the open hand and nature of the strike.
If you don't see the core difference between these, there's a problem.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What difference does trajectory make to what you label it as? The point of impact is different parts of the open hand, but that does not warrant a new terminology in my book. The hand formation is waaay too similiar and both resembling knifes in hand forms.

Just like a turning kick with the instep and a vertical trajectory path is just as much of a turning kick as when it's horizontal and striking with the ball off the foot.
But not the same if you're doing an entirely different kick, using an entirely different part of the foot.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it says "this form is similar to the knife hand" (I think I've quoted that correctly), and then it shows, quite clearly, that the striking surface isn't the same. It is visually similar, but not a similar technique. None of the mechanics are even close.

Nor is a vertical vs horizontal turning kick with different parts of the foot as point of impacts. We call them both turning kick, or in "american terms" roundhouse kicks.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But not the same if you're doing an entirely different kick, using an entirely different part of the foot.

So you don't think the instep compared to ball of the foot is equally an entirely different part of the foot as the different striking surface between a ridge hand and knifehand?

Really?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a reason why you don't understand this strike and why it hasn't been taught to you (but has to others in your class much as you might disagree).

It first appears in Choong Moo, and you are not there yet.

When you learn that form, your instructor will show you the fingers are straight. Or not, because not all people do it with fingers straight based on their own experiences with the strike. Some people splay the fingers, some bend them. The book says straight. But is is in now way an alternative knife hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. He might as well call it a punch. After all, it uses the hand.

Sorry but I reject your offer. I call it an alternative knife hand due to the hand formation resembling a knife for both techniques. In fact, the ridge hand more resembles a knife than the actual knife hand.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry but I reject your offer. I call it an alternative knife hand due to the hand formation resembling a knife for both techniques. In fact, the ridge hand more resembles a knife than the actual knife hand.
Stubborn as well as arrogant and ignorant. We almost have a new set of tenets.

Check out movement 13 of Choong Moo for the correct terminology.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stubborn as well as arrogant and ignorant. We almost have a new set of tenets.

Check out movement 13 of Choong Moo for the correct terminology.

I have no quarrels with the exact terminology, but just so you know there are plenty of inaccurate terminologies.... The ITF apparently makes no distinction between a reverse turning kick and a spinning hook kick, when it's very clear that a spinning hook kick hooks with the foot (just like the normal hook kick), while the reverse turning kick has the foot planted on the target in a static foot formation.

So I am used to inappropriate terminology in the ITF.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no quarrels with the exact terminology, but just so you know there are plenty of inaccurate terminologies.... The ITF apparently makes no distinction between a reverse turning kick and a spinning hook kick, when it's very clear that a spinning hook kick hooks with the foot (just like the normal hook kick), while the reverse turning kick has the foot planted on the target in a static foot formation.

The encyclopedia does however differentiate between sonnal/sonkal and sonnal/sonkal deung. Knife hand and reverse knife hand.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, the ITF does have a reverse hook kick. So that one I will take back. General Choi said reverse turning kick when Jong Soo park did a spinning/reverse hook kick, so that's where my confusion stemmed from.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the terminology isn't 'inappropriate', it could be inaccurate or false but I doubt it's inappropriate. :D:D Unless there's some really sexy writing in it or pictures perhaps?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the terminology isn't 'inappropriate', it could be inaccurate or false but I doubt it's inappropriate. :D:D Unless there's some really sexy writing in it or pictures perhaps?

I'm gonna vote to rename ridge hand "front knife hand strike". This will be my contribution to humanity.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Terminology will vary somewhat due to difficulties in translation - much of the terminology in TKD does not translate directly. A common example is the term "reverse punch" which in Korea means a punch from the front hand, while in most of the rest of the world it means a punch from the rear hand.
But that's hardly the same as failing to recognize that a knifehand and a ridgehand are totally different techniques.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But that's hardly the same as failing to recognize that a knifehand and a ridgehand are totally different techniques.

I knew the difference between the techniques then just as I do now, and since the hand formation is roughly similiar, I stand by alternative knife hand even though the TKD dictionary disagrees.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew the difference between the techniques then just as I do now, and since the hand formation is roughly similiar, I stand by alternative knife hand even though the TKD dictionary disagrees.

You should look up the word "hubris" sometime...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11062868_10153558513449239_6162691124435267719_n.jpg
I'm gonna vote to rename ridge hand "front knife hand strike". This will be my contribution to humanity.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a second, " you just wrote that TKD has a reverse knife hand strike... That is exactly the same trajectory path as ridge hand... Only difference being fingers slightly bent and thumb not tucked in???
So the motion is Not always different for a knife hand

Last edited: