WTF clubs that credits General Choi as founder and/or developer of TaeKwonDo

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not "wrong" - he teaches a different method. He wants people to learn that method, because that's what he can optimize for them.

No, he is by his own admission teaching General Chois system (we are ITF) , and is occasionally inacurrate despite his GM rank.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correcting your instructor, based upon something in a book? Who is the instructor, again?

A book written by the founder of our system, General Choi. Encyklopedia of TaeKwonDo.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor is apparently not aware of this, since he claims in every single class that knife hand is always with slighly bent fingers. WRONG
The fingers in a knife hand should be slightly bent. If you have completely straight fingers then you are not getting the required tension in the hand at the end of the strike.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The fingers in a knife hand should be slightly bent. If you have completely straight fingers then you are not getting the required tension in the hand at the end of the strike.

I don't mind him arguing that point. It's the l-stance 25 degrees rear leg that buggs me, but he claims to be correct, even when I reference the encyklopedia, which he himself endorses, as a follower of General Choi.

That being said, I suggest you look at his fingers at

02:58 for this alternative knifehand strike.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind him arguing that point. It's the l-stance 25 degrees rear leg that buggs me, but he claims to be correct, even when I reference the encyklopedia, which he himself endorses, as a follower of General Choi.

That's not a knife hand strike at 2:58 - the voice says it's "similar to a knife hand" (I'd call it a "ridge hand" - don't know if that's a common name). Is there an actual knife hand demonstrated in that video?

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
the sidekick in that instructional video is hardly chambered - it's more like a front snap kick that turns into a sidekick at the end, (IMO)

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not a knife hand strike at 2:58 - the voice says it's "similar to a knife hand" (I'd call it a "ridge hand" - don't know if that's a common name). Is there an actual knife hand demonstrated in that video?

Yes the one before it, with the fingers classicaly bent.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not a knife hand, it's a ridge hand.
This is one reason why it's generally a mistake for kids to correct those with actual knowledge.
Your instructors standards are his own business, but I can promise you that no student displaying your combination of ignorance and arrogance would be testing for Dan rank in our system.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a ridge hand for sure, Haito Uchi. One of my favourites.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not a knife hand, it's a ridge hand.
This is one reason why it's generally a mistake for kids to correct those with actual knowledge.
Your instructors standards are his own business, but I can promise you that no student displaying your combination of ignorance and arrogance would be testing for Dan rank in our system.

I don't care if it's listed under a seperate name, it is a similiar technique that he completey disregards and claims that fingers must always be bent. Just like he claims that the rear leg MUST be pointing 25 degrees in the L-stance which I can refute in 10 seconds. Yet he insists on correcting me each time....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if it's listed under a seperate name, it is a similiar technique that he completey disregards and claims that fingers must always be bent. Just like he claims that the rear leg must be pointing 25 degrees in the L-stance which I can refute in 10 seconds. Yet he insists on correcting me each time....

if you don't like what he teaches leave.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care if it's listed under a seperate name, it is a similiar technique that he completey disregards and claims that fingers must always be bent. Just like he claims that the rear leg must be pointing 25 degrees in the L-stance which, I can refute in 10 seconds. Yet he insists on correcting it each time....

So basically you don't care that you're completely wrong, you're just going to continue spouting nonsense. Got it.
I'm going to revise my statement. Not only would you not be tested for Dan rank, you'd be encouraged to go elsewhere.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
So basically you don't care that you're completely wrong, you're just going to continue spouting nonsense. Got it.
I'm going to revise my statement. Not only would you not be tested for Dan rank, you'd be encouraged to go elsewhere.
¨
Am I completely wrong about the L-stance? Which I am not allowed to perform they way I sees fit for my body? Which I have informed him is perfectly correct by the book

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did not wear the same dobok as a coloured belt in KKW compared to a coloured belt in ITF.
Therefore the same is true for everyone else? Is that what you are saying?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or the fact that I said an alternative version of a knifehand. The commentator says similiar to the knife hand, I am content with alternative.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
¨
Am I completely wrong about the L-stance? Which I am not allowed to perform they way I sees fit for my body? Which I have informed him is perfectly correct by the book

Yes, you are completely wrong. If you want to do your own thing, fine. Declare yourself the 25th Dan Soke of Douche-Ryu and be done with it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or the fact that I said an alternative version of a knifehand. The commentator says similiar to the knife hand, I am content with alternative.

It's not an alternative version. It uses totally different body mechanics to strike with the opposite side of the hand. That's not an alternative version. It's a completely different technique. I would expect even a 9th geup to understand this.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you are completely wrong. If you want to do your own thing, fine. Declare yourself the 25th Dan Soke of Douche-Ryu and be done with it.

Okey, so in summary then: My terminology for the ridge hand - "Alternative knife hand - perfectly compatible with the instructional video, is completely wrong. Such a technique does not exist in the ITF, apparently, because striking with straight fingers is always wrong according to the GM. You will break them. End of dogmatic sentence. Nevermind the video or the parent technique that is never shown in class.

And my stance on the L-stance is also wrong, despite the encyklopedia backing me 100%.

Good to know.:)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, that's ridge hand not knife hand. Yok sudo in Trad TKD terminology.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions