WT Training

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy,extensors and contractors work against each other.Repetitive relaxed chain punching will remedy anything that ails you trust me( don't forget,borrowing and the turnstile theory.....) .SMACK! the wall bag without rocking and you will achieve power....remember the formula speed times....equals..... also a heavy bag would not hurt.The hardest punches are delivered relaxed...study boxing.... the Hero's and you will know.
Smack down power baby...use the force Luke! Heck try taking down guy's the size of tree's..I call it John Wayne syndrome...I can do it and so can you!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the name of this Movie?

As for Michelle Yeoh Wing Chun Fight Scenes:

First one

Second One

Has anyone seen this Wing Chun Movie?

I appreciate the offer, I have the dvd somewhere, I looked earlier without much success, but I'm pretty sure I could find it online if not, butttt it'd be cool if you could find the fight scene your alluding to in case I can't find it and decide to watch another movie during practice, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yoshiyahu, the first one is from the t.v. series kung fu, someone made a comment about it, and the last one is from: Legend Of Twins Dragon aka Shuang Long Ji (2007). Happy hunting!

To qwksilver61 thanks for your elucidiations, I'm not familar with the concept of turnstiles tho! can anyone give me a brief explanation please?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you see the Wing Chun clips with Michelle Yeoh yet...they were in the middle?

Yoshiyahu, the first one is from the t.v. series kung fu, someone made a comment about it, and the last one is from: Legend Of Twins Dragon aka Shuang Long Ji (2007). Happy hunting!

To qwksilver61 thanks for your elucidiations, I'm not familar with the concept of turnstiles tho! can anyone give me a brief explanation please?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

He's saying that you are borrowing the attackers force and giving it back to him in the form of a strike . Say for example a heavy punch comes in , using the appropriate hand structure you intercept it , re-direct and if the force is strong enough you will pivot and strike the opponent .

The opponents force is used to power your own pivot , so you are taking the force he has given to you and are using it back against him , using the same principle as a turnstile .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I get what your saying its classic wing chun. But does the word Turnstile mean? Whats the actual definition of it in English?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get what your saying its classic wing chun. But does the word Turnstile mean? Whats the actual definition of it in English?

I don't know what you call them in America , but in Australia they are the things that turn around usually at barriers like in railway stations . You put your ticket in the slot and the metal arms of the turnstile turn around and let you through the barrier .

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Mook,for explaining....another way to illustrate is the "revolving door"
the sideling stance is not just a sideling stance.when practicing have your partner execute a sun punch towards you, you are in the pre fighting posture
turn your man sau into tan sau,wu sau into sun punch along the centerline all simultaneously,slow at first.The Idea behind the drills is to get you more comfortable and relaxed,there is also a diagonal stepping drill where you go nose to nose while stepping out diagonally drawing the front leg in for adduction,tan sau...sun punch.In an actual fight thats where it can get scary,you have to trust you can carry it out and go forward to meet your opponent, second he cannot hit himself so you borrow the momentum of his roundhouse punch and drive it back to him,this take practice and skill,like I always say slow at first for a while....speed then power.oh, to the fellow that has trained for seven months don't take it personal,there is a lot that I still don't know,I remeber being new and overly anxious to try my new techniques,just stay cool and patient take time to digest.Hope this helps someone....I too take heed and learn from the posters....sometimes we just have to be good listeners.

Last edited:
OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sweet thanks for the information guys!

And to Yoshiyahu, I watched the first clip last night and I reallllyy saw how in the first fight segment, before michelle was using a sword, how she was sticking to the wc/wt/vt principals and certainly any using some of the techniques, thanks for opening my eyes, I'll take a look at the second clip in a little bit!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We call them turnstyles in America at the railways, in Boston and such.
That's a good description of the movement.

I don't know what you call them in America , but in Australia they are the things that turn around usually at barriers like in railway stations . You put your ticket in the slot and the metal arms of the turnstile turn around and let you through the barrier .

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nabatksu, have they shown you side slash and punch with pivot yet?
This can help you get a feel for the turnstyle or revolving door theory and motion.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been shown a type of uppercut, which has the wrist bent straight up, and uses the knees for the main source of power, I've been show a hook which uses shifting from fighting stance into iras and than to fighting stance again to do a 180 turn and than the chain punches, also an elbow to utilize to escape a chokehold :)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay also take a note...When she was using the broadswords....Did you see the Wing Chun there too?

Think about it. Tan Sau, Pak Sau Bong Sau all using broad swords. an Wu Sau and others. Think about Short swords and how one could apply short sword form to broad swords?

The Weapon is just an extension of the hand!

Sweet thanks for the information guys!

And to Yoshiyahu, I watched the first clip last night and I reallllyy saw how in the first fight segment, before michelle was using a sword, how she was sticking to the wc/wt/vt principals and certainly any using some of the techniques, thanks for opening my eyes, I'll take a look at the second clip in a little bit!

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As a side note! The training is going good... started running yesterday, did a mile, and did another mile today.. I hope it gets easier as I continue, lol.. my legs are so sore, been working on my stepping, just basic footwork.. one thing I'm having trouble doing is going from iras to circle stepping.. I can do the footwork fine, and punching isn't an issue, but the circular step makes my arms want to go in a circle too! ack.. so hard to stop myself from doing that, lol.. I've been chain punching the air in between SNT off and on during the day.. it's been really tough.. my arms feel like lead, I can barely do SNT afterwards! I was punching the wall just to change it up.. seems so much easier to punch something solid as oposed to air... on the verge of crafting a wall bag so I can keep practicing when the air has taken it's toll!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very Interesting excellent. Punching Air does build power alot of power in fact. So does kicking Air!

As a side note! The training is going good... started running yesterday, did a mile, and did another mile today.. I hope it gets easier as I continue, lol.. my legs are so sore, been working on my stepping, just basic footwork.. one thing I'm having trouble doing is going from iras to circle stepping.. I can do the footwork fine, and punching isn't an issue, but the circular step makes my arms want to go in a circle too! ack.. so hard to stop myself from doing that, lol.. I've been chain punching the air in between SNT off and on during the day.. it's been really tough.. my arms feel like lead, I can barely do SNT afterwards! I was punching the wall just to change it up.. seems so much easier to punch something solid as oposed to air... on the verge of crafting a wall bag so I can keep practicing when the air has taken it's toll!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been shown a type of uppercut, which has the wrist bent straight up, and uses the knees for the main source of power, I've been show a hook which uses shifting from fighting stance into iras and than to fighting stance again to do a 180 turn and than the chain punches, also an elbow to utilize to escape a chokehold :)

That's good. I was wondering if you were taught pivoting with your stance yet. We teach this at first by pivoting with a side slash following up with a punch. Then you pivot and side slash again the same side your pivoting towards and follow up with punch. You do this back and forth to help learn your footwork with pivoting and also to learn to keep arms relaxed when pivoting for other techniques later. Like a "turnstyle" kinda.
Then you hit focus mits with the side slash and punch. two people on each side of you hold a mit and you pivot and strike one then the other continously.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was taught how to switch at an 180 degree angle to hit attackers behind me if thats what your refering to, still having some trouble with the footwork when I'm hitting pads my sifu holds up for me, I tend to do a lot better practicing on my own, lol.. we don't have class until the 1st of january! so I hope to make some serious improvements by than and "redeem myself" lol, thanks for your support my fellow brothers and sister!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was taught how to switch at an 180 degree angle to hit attackers behind me if thats what your refering to, still having some trouble with the footwork when I'm hitting pads my sifu holds up for me, I tend to do a lot better practicing on my own, lol.. we don't have class until the 1st of january! so I hope to make some serious improvements by than and "redeem myself" lol, thanks for your support my fellow brothers and sister!

I ask because I don't want to mess you up if your not working on pivot yet. :)
eep.. hubbie told me you have another month or so to go. Ignore what I said, don't worry about pivot and side slash. Sorry. I didn't train traditional in a kwoon, sometimes I tell people stuff too early.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I already know for a fact i've learned and have been practicing things 2-3 levels beyond what I should be already, be it from sifu or my sihings :)
But I have enough on my plate as it is, It work serve as much a distraction :)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I already know for a fact i've learned and have been practicing things 2-3 levels beyond what I should be already, be it from sifu or my sihings :)
But I have enough on my plate as it is, It work serve as much a distraction :)

Well I was trying to figure out how to describe side slash and pivot in text and it comes out too messed up. You do alot in one movement and can be used as a 180 degree turn between two attackers (although we don't train it that far of a pivot)
I think I'd just confuse you. But, it is a good way to turn from one focus mitt/or attacker to another in that fashion.

Latest Discussions