Training to take a Punch

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you guys condition your self to take a punch. In some Karate schools a student stands in a stance while another kicks his thighs inside and out side and punches him in the chest and stomach. They train their bodies to be harder by excessive push ups and sit ups. Some boxers use medincine balls to drop on their stomachs and practice breath control. My Sifu said when he was learning Wing Chun you get the practice by standing and take blows to different pressure point areas. He also said they use canes or wooden instruments to hit you with to harden you up while you sitting in your stance.

What do you do to condition your body to take a punch?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys condition your self to take a punch. In some Karate schools a student stands in a stance while another kicks his thighs inside and out side and punches him in the chest and stomach. They train their bodies to be harder by excessive push ups and sit ups. Some boxers use medincine balls to drop on their stomachs and practice breath control. My Sifu said when he was learning Wing Chun you get the practice by standing and take blows to different pressure point areas. He also said they use canes or wooden instruments to hit you with to harden you up while you sitting in your stance.

What do you do to condition your body to take a punch?

While doing Sanchin kata, Sensei would punch, kick, and strike all muscled parts of our body. If we flinched, we did push ups.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
My particular method was to get regularly beat up by sadistic instructors , I will qualify that statement by saying that they wouldn't make that much contact unless they thought you could take it .

They also didn't mind if you hit them as hard as you could , if you got through their guard . But I rarely got through their guard , one time I did and I cracked him fair in the cheek bone which probably would have stunned any normal person , but he just smiled and said " Good Hit " and then we kept on going , I will always remember that .

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very Intersting...Sounds pretty skilled....

My particular method was to get regularly beat up by sadistic instructors , I will qualify that statement by saying that they wouldn't make that much contact unless they thought you could take it .

They also didn't mind if you hit them as hard as you could , if you got through their guard . But I rarely got through their guard , one time I did and I cracked him fair in the cheek bone which probably would have stunned any normal person , but he just smiled and said " Good Hit " and then we kept on going , I will always remember that .

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yeah abit like mook. we have to make contact,controlled as it should be and expected to take the odd heavy hit.a few of the more seniors def give you a whack to either test out your bottle/reserve or dedication to the art but i expect that and dont want them to lighten up,stupid as it sounds!

the saying goes "train as you will fight" so if you train to just graze or miss then youre likely to do just that in a fight.
sitting here typing with a split lip form monday and a very painful thumb where it got jarred in a double pak drill....

is it me that i sorta enjoy having this pain, knowing that it was benefitting me, that i,m learning and developing a skill...........abheit very very slowly mind you:whip1:

matsu

matsu

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holding the pads helped along with light kumate...

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah abit like mook. we have to make contact,controlled as it should be and expected to take the odd heavy hit.a few of the more seniors def give you a whack to either test out your bottle/reserve or dedication to the art but i expect that and dont want them to lighten up,stupid as it sounds!

the saying goes "train as you will fight" so if you train to just graze or miss then youre likely to do just that in a fight.
sitting here typing with a split lip form monday and a very painful thumb where it got jarred in a double pak drill....

is it me that i sorta enjoy having this pain, knowing that it was benefitting me, that i,m learning and developing a skill...........abheit very very slowly mind you:whip1:

matsu

matsu

Sounds like your doing some hardcore training there champ , what do they say at work when you front up with a split lip ?

They probably think " Have a go at him , he's been out drinking all night again and got into a fight ". Just tell em " Yeah , but you should see the other bloke " :uhyeah:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally i'd rather train my defense than my ability to take a punch. i used to do some body hardening but it really didn't seem very beneficial for my purposes.

jf

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please elaborate?

on which part, exactly?

regarding defense, i'd rather get really good at not getting hit than get really good at taking hits. let's say i'm getting kicked in the leg a lot. rather than spend 5-10 minutes of my training time each session getting intentionally kicked in the leg, i'd rather spend 5-10 each session working on my leg checks & stop hits.

as for body hardening...just not my cup of tea. made it harder to get to work when i was doing manual labor, harder to do my next workout, etc. plus i think your body will condition naturally just by sparring. i think that's more realistic anyway since during sparring you don't know where you're going to get hit.

hope that explains better,

jf

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your opinion. I understand!

on which part, exactly?

regarding defense, i'd rather get really good at not getting hit than get really good at taking hits. let's say i'm getting kicked in the leg a lot. rather than spend 5-10 minutes of my training time each session getting intentionally kicked in the leg, i'd rather spend 5-10 each session working on my leg checks & stop hits.

as for body hardening...just not my cup of tea. made it harder to get to work when i was doing manual laber, harder to do my next workout, etc. plus i think your body will condition naturally just by sparring. i think that's more realistic anyway since during sparring you don't know where you're going to get hit.

hope that explains better,

jf

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
1) If you never train to take a hit, then when/if it happens in a real situation, your going to probably be more than a little "stunned" and end up getting your butt handed to you. Being hit is a shock to the system and one should at least occasionally take one so you can deal with it in real life.
2) Taking it a step further, not only learning to take a hit but also learning how to react after the hit. Do you just end the drill or keep going and if you keep going are you training on how to recover from the hit and regain center/control, respond and deliver your own hit/attack.

I don't think that the hit should be an arbitrary "ha, I got you" kind of thing for the ego, but I do believe that there should be some training on how to take the hit without the whole "freeze up, shock factor", and how to respond/react/counter to the hit scenario.
BFL
and Happy Holidays to all

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great. I agree. One should be able to recover his structure and re-take centerline after being hit. Also learn how to attack effectively even when you are hit. The fight don't stop when your hit. In fact more is coming at you. If you freeze up your done for.

Great Post BFL

1) If you never train to take a hit, then when/if it happens in a real situation, your going to probably be more than a little "stunned" and end up getting your butt handed to you. Being hit is a shock to the system and one should at least occasionally take one so you can deal with it in real life.
2) Taking it a step further, not only learning to take a hit but also learning how to react after the hit. Do you just end the drill or keep going and if you keep going are you training on how to recover from the hit and regain center/control, respond and deliver your own hit/attack.

I don't think that the hit should be an arbitrary "ha, I got you" kind of thing for the ego, but I do believe that there should be some training on how to take the hit without the whole "freeze up, shock factor", and how to respond/react/counter to the hit scenario.
BFL
and Happy Holidays to all

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you want to be able to take a hit to the body or legs, you should be in good shape. If you want to keep from getting knocked out with a punch to the head, it helps to be able read what's happening. That takes lots of sparring. Seeing a punch coming helps you brace for it. Lots of boxers say its the one you don't see coming that puts you down.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So very True you sound like someone who has alot of experience with sparring and taking hits? NO?

If you want to be able to take a hit to the body or legs, you should be in good shape. If you want to keep from getting knocked out with a punch to the head, it helps to be able read what's happening. That takes lots of sparring. Seeing a punch coming helps you brace for it. Lots of boxers say its the one you don't see coming that puts you down.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
haha the guys at work-mostly girls are bemused by my enthusiasm and enjoyment at getting hit!
but they are used to me now doing funny things with my hands in the air in any freee space and time i get during the day!!!

matsu

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So very True you sound like someone who has alot of experience with sparring and taking hits? NO?

LOL. Yeah, I guess I've taken my fair share of hits. But I'd like to think I've gotten better at not getting hit over the years. It sure beats having to brace yourself and take a punch. If you want to see guys who are really good at not getting hit, I'd recommend checking out some of James Toney or Chris Byrd's boxing matches.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been in a fight in years, but I seem to recall coming out with bruises and aches; not knowing exactly how I got them because with the adrenalin dump I didn't feel getting hit at the time.

In kickboxing we did a drill where you did leglifts while a partner dropped a medicine-ball on your ab section. As far as conditioning you to take a hit, it never seemed to get any easier.

There also was a solo drill also where you would swing a heavy-bag and let it fly back into you, this more or less taught you timing to exhale as the bag struck you. But in a fight, fight. When you go over the edge and are no longer concerned with getting hit, but rather hitting, these little things probably go out the window.

Latest Discussions