Would you recommend training here??

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey lonewolf, I did a quick search for Clute, TX, and came up with a possible alternative.
Wah Lum kung fu, seems to be a mantis style. I couldn't find a site for the TX school but the other US sites seem pretty legit classical kung fu.

I sense what the others are alluding to, a vague whiff of inauthentic cultishness, when I look up the NWC stuff. Just a feeling I get. You could possibly join the school and learn a great deal but that 70s throwback "kung fu is an asian superpower" stuff will rub off on you in the end. Not good.

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that answered me I really appriciate yall taking the time to help me out and keep m form joining a McDojo. I boxed and did it just for fun and to stay in shape but at 44 i would like to learn a tma. I always loved kung fu but I don't know anything about it thats why i came on here. Cethlapod thank you for the respone and yes at one time wah lum kung fu northetn mantis was out here. from what I herd the sifu was very good but unfourtunetly he moved to austin. Not much to choose from out here where im at. 4 tkd schools one bjj school and the nai wai chia place. I found a place in sugarland that from the reviews ive seen is a very good kung fu place they teach san da, southern fist and shaolin. I woluld have really loved to have learned northern mantis a friend of mine trained there for a long time and he's really good at it. hes a prison guard and has used a few times to keep himself safe. once again thank you very much to everyone that replied to me. avoided this place and i think i found a really good place to start training. Thank you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that answered me I really appriciate yall taking the time to help me out and keep m form joining a McDojo. I boxed and did it just for fun and to stay in shape but at 44 i would like to learn a tma. I always loved kung fu but I don't know anything about it thats why i came on here. Cethlapod thank you for the respone and yes at one time wah lum kung fu northetn mantis was out here. from what I herd the sifu was very good but unfourtunetly he moved to austin. Not much to choose from out here where im at. 4 tkd schools one bjj school and the nai wai chia place. I found a place in sugarland that from the reviews ive seen is a very good kung fu place they teach san da, southern fist and shaolin. I woluld have really loved to have learned northern mantis a friend of mine trained there for a long time and he's really good at it. hes a prison guard and has used a few times to keep himself safe. once again thank you very much to everyone that replied to me. avoided this place and i think i found a really good place to start training. Thank you
Awesome, good for you. If they teach sanda, that could be a sign that they pressure test/it's not a mcdojo.

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
Awesome, good for you. If they teach sanda, that could be a sign that they pressure test/it's not a mcdojo.
yes sir that's one thing i liked they do full sparring in the san da class and the kung fu classes as well so its not just forms you get real live action. and thank you for supporting me in my new venture thank you very much

Reactions: KPM

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
a 10th Degree "Grandmaster" who refers to himself as Si-Gung... smdh...

After reading through their website, I call ********.

They aren't that far from me... maybe I should disguise myself as a student and go check them out lmao.

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
a 10th Degree "Grandmaster" who refers to himself as Si-Gung... smdh...

After reading through their website, I call ********.

They aren't that far from me... maybe I should disguise myself as a student and go check them out lmao.
LOL few people have told me the same thing :)

Latest Discussions