Would you recommend training here??

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone I was wanting to get into Kung Fu but we don't have very many places close by. There is a place here in town that teaches Wing Chun and I was wanting to see what peoples opinions were on this school. Here's the website www.nwckungfu.cmasdirect.com

Thank you to anyone who answers me. :):)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't really say anything useful because the site gives nothing to go off of, but schools that teach a million different arts tend to be mediocre to bad in quality

Edit:

For what it's worth I took a look at their Facebook page and they do seem like a friendly bunch that don't take themselves too seriously, so I imagine it'd be fun to train there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't really say anything useful because the site gives nothing to go off of, but schools that teach a million different arts tend to be mediocre to bad in quality

Edit:

For what it's worth I took a look at their Facebook page and they do seem like a friendly bunch that don't take themselves too seriously, so I imagine it'd be fun to train there.
I got an entirely different view from their site. The website gave a decent amount of info, and they seem to specialize specifically in nei wai kung fu and tai chi. The main instructor has degrees in a couple different arts, but there's no indication he actually teaches those, or that the other instructors share those rankings/styles.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No idea I've never trained there, go down there yourself and see what you think

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone I was wanting to get into Kung Fu but we don't have very many places close by. There is a place here in town that teaches Wing Chun and I was wanting to see what peoples opinions were on this school. Here's the website www.nwckungfu.cmasdirect.com

Thank you to anyone who answers me. :):)

Sounds hocky as hell to me! I don't think they actually teach Wing Chun. It just looks like they have rolled up Wing Chun into this "Nei Wei Chia"....which seems to be a conglomerate of many things. And anyone that lists themselves as "10th degree Grandmaster" always sends up red flags for me! But hey! They may be doing some good stuff and some good training! I just wouldn't expect it to actually be "classical" Wing Chun!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with KPM. There's no indication that the school teaches any Wing Chun. Their history states that the head instructor's instructor studied some Wing Chun, but not that he passed any of that knowledge on or that the art makes up any of the curriculum. Supposedly Wing Chun was one of the component arts which went into Nei Wei Chia, but the claimed history seems ... questionable.

(Just off the bat, how does it make sense for someone to be promoted to the rank of "founder", especially for an art which supposedly was created 74 years previously?)

The instructor's instructor, Larry Sanders, seems have made questionable claims himself. We don't do fraudbusting at MartialTalk, but you can read an investigation of some of Sanders' claims here.

None of this is to say that this is necessarily a bad school. The instructor, Dan Suchon, might be a perfectly fine instructor of their version of Tai Chi (although it's unclear where his instructor's training in the art came from) and "Nei Wei Chia" (whatever the actual history of the art). Just don't expect any classical WC. (Given the misuse of terminology and the questionable lineage, I would also be skeptical of whether what they teach is any sort of authentically Chinese art, but that doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly cromulent martial art in its own right.)

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My review of the website left me without a good feeling for this one. That’s just my spidey sense tingling. I could be wrong.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most I see as to Wing Chun they teach what Bruce Lee taught when first coming to the US, Jun Fan. Though Jun Fan Gung Fu is good it is incomplete as Wing Chun goes. It also seems from the website it is a part of Nei Wei Chia and not Wing Chun specifically. What they teach may well be good but it will be some wc aspects and not the system of wc.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey lonewolf, I did a quick search for Clute, TX, and came up with a possible alternative.
Wah Lum kung fu, seems to be a mantis style. I couldn't find a site for the TX school but the other US sites seem pretty legit classical kung fu.

I sense what the others are alluding to, a vague whiff of inauthentic cultishness, when I look up the NWC stuff. Just a feeling I get. You could possibly join the school and learn a great deal but that 70s throwback "kung fu is an asian superpower" stuff will rub off on you in the end. Not good.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand, the instructor also purports to be a "grandmaster" in Tantric Yoga. Hopefully he doesn't teach that in the kid's classes.

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score

Edit:

Thank you for answering me and no I want a legit place to train. I just don't know much about kung fu I boxed but now that im older 44 i would like to learn a tma but something easy on the knees and I read where wing chun was easy on the knees. once again thank you

OP
L

lonewof0323

White Belt
Reaction score
I got an entirely different view from their site. The website gave a decent amount of info, and they seem to specialize specifically in nei wai kung fu and tai chi. The main instructor has degrees in a couple different arts, but there's no indication he actually teaches those, or that the other instructors share those rankings/styles.
Thank you so it sounds to me than my be McDojo

Latest Discussions