Wing Chun vs Anyone - 1989

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sifu Marc Philips posted this. I’m curious to what people think of it. I have some thoughts even as a noob: doesn’t maintain forward pressure and no strikes from different angles. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
doesn’t maintain forward pressure
My personal thoughts on this is that many WC practitioners take this to an extreme. Sometimes you go forward, sometimes, you go off at an angle, and sometimes you move backwards. Only being able to move forward or to maintain forward pressure means that you lose the skill sets required to move in other directions because the extreme desire to "maintain forward pressure." I actually fight better against people like this because I know they can only move in one direction.

I actually have more respect for anyone who has done sparring like this. You can see that they are actually trying to use their techniques. The speaker in the video is reviewing his past performance which is awesome. It's one of the benefits of recording sparring sessions. You can always review the video and see things that you weren't originally aware of at the time.

One of the things that he points out is that his stance was too tall and some of the techniques he tried to pull off during grappling failed because he was too high up. The only reason he knows what he does today is because of the sparring that he did back then. I used to think I was good when I first got into martial arts, but now I'm so much better than I thought I was back then. The continuous sparring against a resisting opponent from a different system has greatly helped me to better understand my the system I train.