Would you knock or wait for police?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably more sensible than me, even as I approach fifty; for I would have been sorely tempted to at least sneakily have a gander to see if there was anyone there or not. I might even have called out to see if that prompted any movement.

Of course, despite all the discourse we've had on crime figures, I still have the mindset that I live in a relatively safe country and do not anticipate that a burglar is going to stab or shoot me when they can just leg it.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hay always go with your gut!! the day you do not and enter, some needle commando will be waiting with a pistol he stole some where... and shoot you very dead.
even the cops do NOT go in alone! takes a min of two to clear a room properly, 4 is better!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember... By and large, cops and firefighters are kind of adrenaline junkies. We want the big stuff; that's what's "cool." The other thing is that we've probably gone to dozens of those sorts of calls, and we're probably pretty sure it's "nothing" from our POV. Like I said, one of the most important things for cops, especially, to remember is that even though it's routine for us, it's anything but routine for the victims we're dealing with.

Ahh...now you're speaking my language!! For the very reason why I love digging in to core network issues, pouring hours in to a mind-melting problem, and then shouting to anyone who will listen that I fixed whatever it is that was broken...........and then the boss jumps on my case because I'm two weeks behind on my paperwork. Yeah...I get it now :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh...now you're speaking my language!! For the very reason why I love digging in to core network issues, pouring hours in to a mind-melting problem, and then shouting to anyone who will listen that I fixed whatever it is that was broken...........and then the boss jumps on my case because I'm two weeks behind on my paperwork. Yeah...I get it now :D

I was always told that if it wasn't documented, it wasn't done. I didn't like that, but I documented everything.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep the documentation of the incident is a good thing and that comes with calling the cops too.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
Always call the cops. I'm not sure what the exact laws are in your country but most, not all, generally favor the bad guy. If you were to confront them and got into a fight and you got the better of them and took it a bit too far and hurt them, you might be the one getting charged for something serious and all they get is a useless trespass...

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a standing Sunday evening appointment with some renters. I arrived this evening to find no one home and a screen missing from one of the front windows. This is not a standard feature of the home - there had been an A/C unit and plywood there and it was now missing. This house is on a major thoroughfare and has had so many people try to come in through those front windows I've lost count - and that was when WE lived there. We also had a burglary when we lived there and the tenants recently reported to me a thwarted entry - a man opened the door and stepped foot in when a guest surprised him and shooed him away.

I have little interest in confronting a burglar if I have a choice. The way I see it here, I have a choice.

Before I reveal what I did, I'd like to hear what YOU would do.

Remember - you own but do not reside in the house.

At first sight of the theft (screen/AC missing) - I would pull my phone out and call 9-11, while doing that I would start (quietly) walking away and begin to take pictures of any nearby cars/plates, persons, ect, while keeping my situational awareness prioritized with ensuring i'm out of the zone of danger should there be someone in the house. Using force to protect solely property (which is what you would probably be doing if you found a guy in the house) - is never a good idea from a legal point of view (I have a law degree, haven't taken the bar, so this is not legal advice - check your state laws).

I've had some burglar experience (as landlord and tenant) as well, not fun...

G

Latest Discussions