Would you give your boss your facebook password?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny thing is everyone aways says no way they would never give the password. Yet we have been asking for a few years and have never been told no. When you really need or want a job I guess your willing to deal with a little invasion of privacy. I didnt have a facebook page so I didnt have anything to worry about. They didnt believe me at first when I said I didnt have one.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny thing is everyone aways says no way they would never give the password. Yet we have been asking for a few years and have never been told no. When you really need or want a job I guess your willing to deal with a little invasion of privacy. I didnt have a facebook page so I didnt have anything to worry about. They didnt believe me at first when I said I didnt have one.

LOL, then again, peple who live on FB are exibitionists anyhow...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't trust my boss with my password. He's an idiot.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't trust my boss with my password. He's an idiot.

:lfao:

but yeah, I don't trust nobody but me myself and I...and I am not sure about me and myself...
Certainly not on a machine I had no idea if they didn't have nasties on (and don't tell me the public sector is better protected than my private mchine... it's neen three days since I was able to look at the library's page...I send them a note via FB, but I don't think they took it seriously...)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think some jobs should be allowed? For instance applying for a police department, Politician, doctors, top secret security jobs? Is there any job you think it would be ok to know whats on there facebook page? I know we ask at my job for people to log onto there facebook page. We dont ask for the password but you have to log and and allow us access to see it with you there. You refuse then no job.
We also require lie detector tests as well which normal jobs dont.

The poly? An honest polygrapher will tell you that the standard lifestyle/fishing expedition poly in a background investigation is a prop to make people be honest. (I bet you've got at least one competent, honest, professional colleague who'll tell you how he "beat the box" when he got hired... I know I do.)

Demanding that I show you my Facebook, etc? Bullcrap. First, anything they'll openly disclose like that isn't going to be the one you need to worry about. Second, there are better and more effective ways to get that information.

Yes, asking about social networking sites should be part of a BI today. But, just like interviewing only the references given isn't doing a good job, stopping at what the applicant openly discloses isn't enough.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know of 2 people that have been disqualified due to photos on facebook. One had a picture of him drunk pissing on a police car and the other had pics of him growing marijuana plants. The pics were older but it went to his character.
Now everyone knows we look so they clean up there photos before they apply

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you think some jobs should be allowed?

From a real high level one could think this, but I stand by my point that once you look at it is still a no.

For instance applying for a police department,

I understand background checks are good. The answer is no. If they check out what is public and decide no that is ok. If they get a warrant and check it out that is ok as they showed probably cause.

Just because No.

Politician,

Their life is always exposed. This will happen anyways. So No. Besides if they have a clearance they should know better then to use an unsecure form of communication with secure topics.

Nope. Once again check public or go through the legal system.

top secret security jobs?

Now this is one that many who have never been cleared would say yes. I will say that they look for you to disclose anything on your paperwork that might be used to black mail you. If you come clean and are not afraid about it then it is not an issue. So if they they provide their password then it should be ok right? NOPE! If the person in question is trusted with a secret they are trusted with a secret. If they need to know they will be read in. If not, have a nice day. I have worked on programs that my Chief Engineer was not read in on. He did not need to know. Once again use the system to get access, as in show probably cause.

Is there any job you think it would be ok to know whats on there facebook page?

No.

I know we ask at my job for people to log onto there facebook page. We dont ask for the password but you have to log and and allow us access to see it with you there. You refuse then no job.
We also require lie detector tests as well which normal jobs dont.

Lie detector tests are fine. Questions asked over and over to see how you answer over time or understress is ok. Calling and talking to all their friends and family and checking on what they do by even following them (legally) is fine as well. It all goes to see if they have anything to hide.

Credit score is semi public to public. Meaning it is public to all businesses and you need to pay for access. ;) But that aside, credit score is also ok, yet it is the border line. It should not be the only issue. If they come clean about a divorce or something else then they are not afraid to talk about it and therefor not about to get blackmailed. They are still a risk as they might take an offer to get out of trouble. This is why it is ok to use, yet frustrating as you could be in a temp situation, disclose it, and still loose your job or classification. As they find it easier to error on side of caution and less tracking on their side.

So still a NO on passwords to e-mail and or social media, unless they get access per legal process.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would not.

But I would submit to a random review of my FB page. The company could summon me to a dedicated computer on any given day; ask me to log in (privately) and then examine whatever was on the page at that time. They could inspect to their heart's content.

Kind of like submitting to a random drug test.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would not.

But I would submit to a random review of my FB page. The company could summon me to a dedicated computer on any given day; ask me to log in (privately) and then examine whatever was on the page at that time. They could inspect to their heart's content.

Kind of like submitting to a random drug test

Interesting idea...
though FB...last time I looked was legal...

I am really wondering what would make a boss think the privacy of FB was ok to demand a look at. The public part of it, knock yourself out. but the logged in version?

That is no different than demanding the family albums and scrap books. A kin t home invasion.
Does it make a difference if it is on an external server?
You can't look through my drawers without court order....

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting idea...
though FB...last time I looked was legal...

I am really wondering what would make a boss think the privacy of FB was ok to demand a look at. The public part of it, knock yourself out. but the logged in version?

That is no different than demanding the family albums and scrap books. A kin t home invasion.
Does it make a difference if it is on an external server?
You can't look through my drawers without court order....

Yes, true. FB is a legal activity. As is having a beer or a glass of Scotch (most of the time).

And if Company A wants to know if I've had a six pack over the weekend or whether I've taken one-too-many of my prescription Percocet, they might be able to find out by demanding a "random" drug test for some kind of drugs.

I wouldn't like it, but I'd give them their sample. I just wouldn't let them ... you know ... "access" it themselves.

Same would go for my FB page.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously missing something about FB! I wouldn't give anyone my password but all I have on FB is what you can see if you are a 'friend' and I only have a few of them..( ahhh!) I've got nothing secret on there or anything I wouldn't want anyone to see so I'm assuming there's more to FB than I've discovered!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one of the things I love about being an academic. Many things about working academia suck, but a thousand plus year tradition of academic freedom means no giving up passwords, no drug tests, no internet and email monitoring, no phone monitoring, no dress code, no set hours, no...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of 2 people that have been disqualified due to photos on facebook. One had a picture of him drunk pissing on a police car and the other had pics of him growing marijuana plants. The pics were older but it went to his character.
Now everyone knows we look so they clean up there photos before they apply

Not at all disagreeing with checking. And, sadly, we're still going to catch a few idiots applying. Just saying that, while it should probably be a question in the Personal History form (something like "list all email addresses & account names on social networking sites...", a good check should go deeper than just what they admit to having.

But I'm not saying that the chief or his designee should get my password. If they need to force their way in, they should have probable cause, and get a subpoena.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to be clear on something.

I wouldn't give out any of my passwords, even with a court order.

I don't know what 95% my passwords are. Mr. Spock couldn't rip them from my mind, because they aren't there.

But even if I knew them, I wouldn't surrender them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of the things I love about being an academic. Many things about working academia suck, but a thousand plus year tradition of academic freedom means no giving up passwords, no drug tests, no internet and email monitoring, no phone monitoring, no dress code, no set hours, no...

Along the same lines, it's one of the things I love about engineering. Having a list of hard skills means interviewing is more about what you've done, what you know and how well you know it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know what 95% my passwords are. Mr. Spock couldn't rip them from my mind, because they aren't there.

So, the worst thing someone could do, would be to log you out of everything?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Bob,

Yet, if you ran a site and all the paper work was in order, you would allow them to see posts made by me (* example usage of myself *).
That is how if they really wanted to see my facebook or e-mail they should get a court order and gain access to the info they want, sans passwords.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, most posts are already visible. All I have private is realname, reallocation, email and IP addresses.
I can't give them the passwords as they are encrypted.
They'd have to go around me to get those.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They get nothing from me that I haven't already offered. If they're that interested, and that good, let them dig all they want. If they can find something, more power to them.

I suppose they could look us all up on forums. That might be kind of interesting. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when reading some of our posts. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been an old story but a blurb on the news reminded me of that little thing.

Supposedly companies now ask for your FB password as they are hiring you or prior to it.

Would you hand it over to them?

I mean, they can ask for it, sure. but could/should they be allowed to require such thing?

No, I would not give it to them. However, I will admit, that many people I see on FB, clearly dont use their head, with some of the things they post. Hey, its your FB acct. so post/say what you wish. However, understand that your actions, may come back to haunt you. As an example, here are some of the things that I've seen:

Sexually explicit pics, pics of drug use, mention of drug use, mention of violence, people posting every step that they make thru-out the course of the day, people posting personal information.

I could probably go on, but you get the idea. :) Personally, I caved into the pressure and started a FB acct. that I've had for a while. I rarely post, though I do comment at times, on other peoples posts, I don't have any personal info, no pics...yeah, its a pretty boring acct...lol...but thats my choice, and I have my reasons for doing what I do.

I suppose if it was a matter of me getting fired from the job I have, yeah, I guess I'd have no choice, but I also have nothing to worry about, because I'm careful with what I post. :) This isn't the first time that people have been under the gun for what they've said, posted, on FB. I wonder if a potential empolyer would also ask for the PW for your email acct. as well.

Latest Discussions