Would you give your boss your facebook password?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been an old story but a blurb on the news reminded me of that little thing.

Supposedly companies now ask for your FB password as they are hiring you or prior to it.

Would you hand it over to them?

I mean, they can ask for it, sure. but could/should they be allowed to require such thing?

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, that would be pretty much equal to them being able to go through my personal belongings at my residence...

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, like I said it was old, and I probably posted on that thread, too.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Giving my personal passwords to anybody is about the same as me willingly handing over my firearms... not gonna happen...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No.

I have nothing to hide, yet if the company wanted it and insisted, I would explain it is breach of confidence. So if they want me to provide information about them to others, I would request that they provide me with such in writing. i.e. They release me from any NDA or competition clauses and also from harm for providing any information to an outside source. Once I have it in writing (* Which will never happen *) I would turn them down as I would not work for them. I would expect them to consider the agreement null and void and that they were under pressure to get my passwords.

If they do not understand, I walk. I have walked from interviews and job offers for less.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are they also going to ask that I strip naked and dance around?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't give my passwords to anyone for any reason.
Ever.

If it was reason for employment, I'd ask for a show of trust...they can give me theirs too. Then walk when they don't "get it".

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't either. But it's easy to say now. What would you say when this becomes the industry standard, and nearly all employers ask for it? It's all well and good to say that an employer won't want to miss out on your amazing skills, but it will hardly hurt them if all of their competitors do the same thing. We all have to eat, after all.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I wanted the job bad enough, yes.I just can't think of any job I would want that bad.Maybe I would use Rich Parson's example.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are they also going to ask that I strip naked and dance around?

tell you the truth, I'd rather do that.

And no, I would not ask for their FB password...they can give me the one to their email and/or bank account. :D

Industry standard?
Sorry, it's akin to snooping through my underwear drawer.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes! I would.. he already knows I am a big sleaze and a flirt so I have nothing to hide there either haha..

No I am totally joking I am not on FB any more though my fantastic stalker hijacker ponce is still there doing a very good job of being me probably a better job of being me than I do myself.. Thank you FB you have made a very powerful enemy of me! well maybe not.. still.. Facebook sucks! :p

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think some jobs should be allowed? For instance applying for a police department, Politician, doctors, top secret security jobs? Is there any job you think it would be ok to know whats on there facebook page? I know we ask at my job for people to log onto there facebook page. We dont ask for the password but you have to log and and allow us access to see it with you there. You refuse then no job.
We also require lie detector tests as well which normal jobs dont.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think some jobs should be allowed? For instance applying for a police department, Politician, doctors, top secret security jobs? Is there any job you think it would be ok to know whats on there facebook page? I know we ask at my job for people to log onto there facebook page. We dont ask for the password but you have to log and and allow us access to see it with you there. You refuse then no job.
We also require lie detector tests as well which normal jobs dont.

lie detector test?
why not.

I mean, i have nothing on my FB, it would not matter if you looked, but would you also hand over your mail and diaries?

I understand background checks...but that is really intrusive.

They can do my annual GYN exam while they're at it....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on my mood that day, the individual asking or how the interview went, I might say, "yes" and proceed to spell out the equivalent of a reproductive negative. As in, "F-*-*-K-N-0."

Absolutely not. And I would inform them that asking me to break a covenant that carries legal complications could be deemed illegal activity in and of itself and thanks anyway.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lie detector test?
Yeah Lie detector tests. Sometimes voice stress analysis test but normally the reg old lie detector.
I mean, i have nothing on my FB, it would not matter if you looked, but would you also hand over your mail and diaries?

I understand background checks...but that is really intrusive.
I think thats the point. To learn what kind of person your hiring. Its one thing to show up in a suit and be respectful and then see pics on your facebook page of you pissing on a parked police car when your drunk.

They can do my annual GYN exam while they're at it....
YEah we do medical exams also Im not a girl so I dont know how detailed the female exam is but they got pretty personal with mine lol:eek:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah Lie detector tests. Sometimes voice stress analysis test but normally the reg old lie detector.

I think thats the point. To learn what kind of person your hiring. Its one thing to show up in a suit and be respectful and then see pics on your facebook page of you pissing on a parked police car when your drunk.

YEah we do medical exams also Im not a girl so I dont know how detailed the female exam is but they got pretty personal with mine lol:eek:

well, the only way to check for hernias...drop them and cough....

but whatever isn't public on FB is nobody's business - unless you are expected to have committed a crime...