Worthless certifications

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
My is opinion is pretty simple. A certificate is only as good as the instructor giving it, and the requirements to recieve it.
Some people go thru several years of hard work and dedication to get one, and some get them with little more then a check.

I agree with John here. Variation form school to school or organization to organization is going to cause differences in techniques and philsophies evne if they are subtle. One tries to pass it on as much as possible yet it is natural to add in your own experiences and data.

If I took my certificate signed by the Late GM Presas to Jeff Delaney who runs one of the Modern Arnis Organzations, it is not recognized. I did not test in front of him at a summer camp. Yet, I started before him and had rank before him and have video of one test done by the Late GM Presas at our club. So, as he does not know me he would want to have people like me test under him. (* He told me I was a liar as GM Presas never tested outside of a camp. Old news and old story that many others have proven wrong. Just used as an example of how even a Cert from a respectable person such the late GM Presas may not be accpeted. *)

My personal take is he can do his thing and I will do mine, and if we ever end up on the same floor the students can decide. Or those who train with both can decide on who has a better approach or is respectable or fits their needs.

Our club gives Certs. They are there for the students to know they have done anything. I also explain that it is their skill set that is more important on the street or when training with other people then paper hanging on their wall at home or the color around their waist.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Flying Crane. Someone can claim to have studied under so-and-so but if he doesn't have a certificate attesting to that, his words aren't worth the paper they're written on-

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
I agree with Flying Crane. Someone can claim to have studied under so-and-so but if he doesn't have a certificate attesting to that, his words aren't worth the paper they're written on-

I have a certificate (it was given as a joke) what says I'm the 100th Dan-soke of mexican judo and personal student is Jesus Christ back in 1256 RE. It also goes on the state the padded room and staight-jacket are there for the protection of the spork gnome and imaginary pants stealing midget's safety.

Guess the paper proves it all lol... Seriously anything can be faked, spoofed or disproven with or without the right amount of appearance. Thats why the legal system doesn't work properly.

Oh and if anyone is interested the certificate was given as a joke because I said I don't need to find my certificates in storage to know I knew more then him. So he had the certificate printed up to be a wish ***, and I ended up showing him I did out rank (at the time). It was a stupid drunken arguement over martial arts I dont even remember...

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think most of the meaning of a cert from my instructor, for me, is that it's a personal achievement and not really as trying to offer proof of anything to anyone else other than a general credential since I am a school owner.
Those that feel that you have something of value to offer will work with you and those that don't, well, I guess no piece of paper is going to matter! :)
Good previous comments and funny story Dark!

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the personal student of jesus christ came from a comment I made about how all human endevers are doomed to fail do to human imperfection. Thus the personal student of Jesus Christ (only perfect human). lol

When black belts get drunk and discuss the arts lol

Latest Discussions