Only Black belt class

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do all of you think about only a BB class once or twice a week, is it necessary or do you do them to give them a little more attention once and a while?
Terry

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What do all of you think about only a BB class once or twice a week, is it necessary or do you do them to give them a little more attention once and a while?
Terry

My instructor teaches a red/black belt class once a month, to anyone from our association who wants to attend. This is the norm for our association; the senior student in each state (state technical director) offers a similar class monthly. The state technical directors train regularly with the senior technical advisor. This is intended to improve consistency and maintain technical standards.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would be a very good idea.

It's nice to have a class where there are only yudansha present, and taught only by the chief instructor (or maybe the second in command). This way, the yudansha are able to go into class as purely students, and not as mentors / assistants, and focus on learning the more advanced material that you really can't teach to mudansha. Also, this gives the chief instructor a chance to watch closely how the yudansha are progressing.

The CI might not get a chance to do this if there's a mixed class of yudansha and mudansha. There's just too much material to cover, and to divide one's attention into so many directions will result in everyone only getting a small benefit.

dtfrank

White Belt
Reaction score
In our school, we actually have a black belt class 2 days out of the week. One day we primarily spend on kata; and the other day primarily bunkai, self defense.

david f

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

Many times, Black Belts get caught up doing more teaching than training, so yes, I have to say that it is a very good idea! I think that there should be a class available to Black Belts and the advanced asst. instructors at the school, to review material needed for their rank, discuss issues at the school or during classes, etc. This should be done on a weekly basis.

I also think that once a month, there should be a Black Belt only workout. This workout should be intense and consist of techniques, kata, sparring, as well as exercise, ie: push ups, sit ups, etc. Basically, run it as you would a BB test.:)

Mike

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
we have advanced class every wednsday for red and above and also for instructors meetings. i like this because the other classes i train at i ussually end up teachings the lower ranks to help the other instructor. plus in advanced class we learn everything thats not on testing requirements.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think BB classes are a great idea, too. Sadly, I've never been part of a school that's had them. Like MJS said, most BB's need to teach more than they get to train w/ their instructor. I think its also a great BB retention tool. If the BB's have a class where they can learn & grow & ask questions they'll feel like there's something to learn beyond just getting "the belt."

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Many times, Black Belts get caught up doing more teaching than training, so yes, I have to say that it is a very good idea! I think that there should be a class available to Black Belts and the advanced asst. instructors at the school, to review material needed for their rank, discuss issues at the school or during classes, etc. This should be done on a weekly basis.

I also think that once a month, there should be a Black Belt only workout. This workout should be intense and consist of techniques, kata, sparring, as well as exercise, ie: push ups, sit ups, etc. Basically, run it as you would a BB test.:)

Mike

I think one learns even more while teaching about the technqiues they use. They have to be able to break them down and answer questions.

Yet, without practice with equals or betters then their timing cannot improve or wil take much longer to improve.

We have a small club so we try to work one on one with our BB's during normal classes as we do partner work.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I think one learns even more while teaching about the technqiues they use. They have to be able to break them down and answer questions.

Hi Rich,

Yes, I agree 100% with that statement!! I've had some rather thought provoking questions asked during the years.

Yet, without practice with equals or betters then their timing cannot improve or wil take much longer to improve.

Agreed!:)

Mike

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We have one each per week: red/ black, black belt and advanced black belt class. It helps us to focus on more advanced techniques, but we're also encouraged to attend a couple of lower belt classes to keep us sharp on the lower belt skills.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We used to have one about evey 6 months or so and bring in as many of the systems black belt as possible.
It was always intense and tireing but we sure did learn

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
We run a black belt class every monday. This class is open to black belts and black belt canidates only. It is a great time to give the people who have been with you the longest that little extra time.
In Peace
Jesse

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In one Dojang I attended, active Black Belts had mandatory monthly private lessons. I prefer the red/black or brown/black class to the purely BB class because it motivates the dans to keep in shape when they see younger (in the arts, at least), up and coming red belts perform more sharply than they do. Also, it teaches the near black belts that they are only a big fish in a very little pond compared to the other coloured belts and that, overall, they are still very fresh and inexperienced.

Latest Discussions