Worrying to much.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always been a guy who over thinks stuff always have been but lately it's been getting ridiculous. For example today at work I did something that's not bad or wrong but Im worrying that someone will complain about making that thing sound worse than what I did...I mean I know it's stupid and I know theres absoloutely no reason to be thinking this at all and it's driving me nuts.

I know it's probably related to the other issues I've had and I know the best thing is to go to doctors for it but I'm not a fan of dosing myself up on meds plus I've had issues with addiction in the past and would rather not risk going down that path again.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i work on parts worth thousands of dollars and any little mistake on my part could send it to the trash bin. i program computer controlled machines and operate them. it is very tedious very detail oriented. i find just owning it helps. i did it , its my fault ....lets move on.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
i work on parts worth thousands of dollars and any little mistake on my part could send it to the trash bin. i program computer controlled machines and operate them. it is very tedious very detail oriented. i find just owning it helps. i did it , its my fault ....lets move on.
That's the problem I haven't actually done anything wrong but I'm still worrying about it. I know it's dumb but I just can't help it it's just annoying more than anything and I pretty much know absoloutely nothing will come of it that's the frustrating thing and yet I'm still worried about it. Drives me nuts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need meds, depending on severity. Go see a behavioral psychologist/therapist, they can help a lot with anxiety. I've referred plenty of my own clients who don't like meds to one, and that's how I handle my own anxiety issues (I don't use meds for a similar reason). Helped me out a lot.

if you decide that absolutely need meds, there are non-addictive anxiety medications that you could explore. Any psychiatrist (not a PCP) worth their salt will know what medications you can try that won't risk your sobriety.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Learned along time ago not to sweat the small stuff.

Figure out what is priority in your life and then just grind through all the other problems that come up. Worrying about needless things or things out of your control just wears you down faster.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need meds, depending on severity. Go see a behavioral psychologist/therapist, they can help a lot with anxiety. I've referred plenty of my own clients who don't like meds to one, and that's how I handle my own anxiety issues (I don't use meds for a similar reason). Helped me out a lot.

if you decide that absolutely need meds, there are non-addictive anxiety medications that you could explore. Any psychiatrist (not a PCP) worth their salt will know what medications you can try that won't risk your sobriety.
Honestly I don't know. Sometimes I feel yeah I've got anxiety sometimes I feel like I don't because like now I feel totally relaxed about the issue and not bothered but I know in a couple hours it'll bother me again. It just annoys me because I know I've got nothing to worry about and it's literally me making up problems it's stupid and I know it's not a worry. Eugh life can be a ***** lol

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with using meds for this sort of thing is that they only mask symptoms. Not the problem. Treating the problem requires a good therapist and a lot of hard work. But because we live in a world where people expect instant solutions, most are not willing to do this. They just want a pill to fix it. Right now. And of course, all the meds used to mask the symptoms are highly addictive.
It always seems to me that this approach is analogous to saying "Awww.... you broke your arm. Here's some narcotics." And then not bothering to fix the arm.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know. Sometimes I feel yeah I've got anxiety sometimes I feel like I don't because like now I feel totally relaxed about the issue and not bothered but I know in a couple hours it'll bother me again. It just annoys me because I know I've got nothing to worry about and it's literally me making up problems it's stupid and I know it's not a worry. Eugh life can be a ***** lol
Sounds to me like you've got anxiety.

A really relevant psych joke:
How do you know when you've got anxiety?
When you're not just worrying, you're worrying ABOUT worrying.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with using meds for this sort of thing is that they only mask symptoms. Not the problem. Treating the problem requires a good therapist and a lot of hard work. But because we live in a world where people expect instant solutions, most are not willing to do this. They just want a pill to fix it. Right now. And of course, all the meds used to mask the symptoms are highly addictive.
It always seems to me that this approach is analogous to saying "Awww.... you broke your arm. Here's some narcotics." And then not bothering to fix the arm.
Absoloutely that's why I don't want to bother with pills. I don't want to be relying on pills to make me feel happy. Anyway whatever I know im being dumb and my worry probably pass by tomorrow

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've got anxiety.

A really relevant psych joke:
How do you know when you've got anxiety?
When you're not just worrying, you're worrying ABOUT worrying.
Well hey it doesn't affect me that bad it doesn't stop me doing stuff I don't lock myself away crying about it it's there in my head but I can live with it. It just pisses me off when it does happen. Tbh if I've done something wrong and worried about it it's not as bad because I take responsibility when I do things wrong and I don't lie or he dishonest but when it's something silly like this it's more like I want to slap myself and say what's the matter with you boy get a grip lol. I'll probably be over it tomorrow that happens something happens I stew on it for the rest of the day and next morning when I wake I'm over it or at least it feels like less of a problem

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Um... using a pain killer masks the pain - that is the point of the medication. Using a prosthetic leg allows an amputee to walk better - that's the point of the prosthetic. And so on. How far would you get if you broke your arm and told "Oh, just get over it - it's just a broken arm. Deal with it."? Not very far, I suspect, because pain would impact your judgment, your focus, and your ability to function even on the basic level.

It is true that working on this type of problem requires a good therapist, iron-clad discipline, and reevaluation of your own self-worth. It is true that, when battling mental illness, one must find a balance between various devices to improve the situation - and that takes a lot of trial and error and hard work. But dismissing medication outright and shaming people, who use medication in combination with other measures to battle their mental illnesses (or any illness), is neither kind nor smart.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... using a pain killer masks the pain - that is the point of the medication. Using a prosthetic leg allows an amputee to walk better - that's the point of the prosthetic. And so on. How far would you get if you broke your arm and told "Oh, just get over it - it's just a broken arm. Deal with it."? Not very far, I suspect, because pain would impact your judgment, your focus, and your ability to function even on the basic level.

It is true that working on this type of problem requires a good therapist, iron-clad discipline, and reevaluation of your own self-worth. It is true that, when battling mental illness, one must find a balance between various devices to improve the situation - and that takes a lot of trial and error and hard work. But dismissing medication outright and shaming people, who use medication in combination with other measures to battle their mental illnesses (or any illness), is neither kind nor smart.

Over sensitive much?
Because what you're responding to isn't what I said. At all.
Try reading it again. I'm blunt. There's nothing subtle or implied in what I write.
What I said, in what would seem to be very clear words, is that throwing pills at symptoms without addressing the REAL problem is a bad idea.
Doesn't matter if it's a broken arm or a broken mind, that statement holds true.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Do you really need to start an argument over this? No one was shaming anyone. Pills have their uses and if they help people then great but there's more to it than popping pills. Now if you haven't got anything relevant to say on the post then move along I don't want to be reading through a big argument when I get home later.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well hey it doesn't affect me that bad it doesn't stop me doing stuff I don't lock myself away crying about it it's there in my head but I can live with it. It just pisses me off when it does happen. Tbh if I've done something wrong and worried about it it's not as bad because I take responsibility when I do things wrong and I don't lie or he dishonest but when it's something silly like this it's more like I want to slap myself and say what's the matter with you boy get a grip lol. I'll probably be over it tomorrow that happens something happens I stew on it for the rest of the day and next morning when I wake I'm over it or at least it feels like less of a problem

We all fall into that mental sand trap at times, it's the way the mind works. It only has two settings by itself, the past, and what's coming ahead. The mind tends to think about things gone by, about the way things were, good or bad. It spends the rest of it's time looking ahead, concerned, wondering about this or that, dreading, or just being impatient about something. The mind hates to be in the present, unless it's occupied, then it doesn't have time for it's preferred modus operandi.

It's a natural thing for the mind to do, with everyone, it's just a cat being a cat. It's a wonderful servant at times, but it's a terrible master.

As an aside - strange mental health doesn't run in my family, it fricken' gallops.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this particular thing is bothering you enough at least if you posted a thread to talk about it, and think the best thing would be meds. It's up to you to decide if it's a persistent enough issue to go get help for it, but I always lean towards getting the help rather than ignoring the issue (time and money allowing it, of course).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I didn't get that from his post, just that using only meds (which is what headhunter stated in his first post) isn't really a solution. And it's not. You need to do more, otherwise when you stop taking them, or when you get used to them, all the issues are just waiting for you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the problem I haven't actually done anything wrong but I'm still worrying about it. I know it's dumb but I just can't help it it's just annoying more than anything and I pretty much know absoloutely nothing will come of it that's the frustrating thing and yet I'm still worried about it. Drives me nuts

Do something about it. The act of action should clear up the stress.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absoloutely that's why I don't want to bother with pills. I don't want to be relying on pills to make me feel happy. Anyway whatever I know im being dumb and my worry probably pass by tomorrow

Also don't think you are required to feel good all the time.

People get emotions.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Over sensitive much?
Because what you're responding to isn't what I said. At all.
Try reading it again. I'm blunt. There's nothing subtle or implied in what I write.
What I said, in what would seem to be very clear words, is that throwing pills at symptoms without addressing the REAL problem is a bad idea.
Doesn't matter if it's a broken arm or a broken mind, that statement holds true.

A symptom and the problem can be the same. In fact, mental illness is an excellent example of this - which is what makes it so complex and challenging to diagnose. Your basic, vanilla depression can be a symptom of any (but not all) of the following: bad reaction to a major change in life (including positive change), long-lasting reaction to a trauma (physical or emotional), a digestive or circulatory problem, or a chemical imbalance in the central nervous system. Identifying, which one it is, begins with treating the symptom. And that involves "throwing pills" at times - which very much constitutes addressing the real problem. The hardest part, of course, it might not be the first diagnosis, or the second, or even the fifth or the sixth before the core issue is discovered. But, in the meantime, addressing the symptom can help the patient cope.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anxiety doesn't have to be crippling to be worth getting help with. If it bothers you enough for you to worry about it, it's worth figuring out another way.