Wonder how these would do?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I would never risk the beating I would get by having a pair on my feet.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They look intereting. I would be willing to try a pair out, mainly for practice outside of the dojo. Our GM does not allow footwear of any kind unless medically mandated.

Daniel

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand the point.

If you want to be barefoot, be barefoot.

If you want to practice in a shoe, because most of us wear shoes most of the time, and it makes sense to practice at least somewhat realistically, then wear shoes.

Whats the point of wearing a shoe that feels like you are barefoot?

Lamont

Edit: Disease, if your training floor is nasty enough that you are worried about catching a fungal disease, THAT would make sense to wear something. But if that is the problem the solution is to clean the floor, not this fugly thing.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know some runners who swear by them. They feel barefoot, but protect your feet from road debris. If I had to run on a regular basis, I might try them, as barefoot is the only way my messed up flat feet really feel comfortable doing repetitive physical activity.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted about them a while ago. Then I tried them out and really didn't like the feel of the material between my toes when I was running, so I switched back to running barefoot. If I wanted protection, then I'd wear shoes.

However, my Vibrams are definitely going to be useful if/when I go camping or floating. I initially emailed the company about their practicality for a MAist, and they claim that several MMA fighters swear by them for training. Talk is cheap and they failed to provide concrete evidence.

The "shoes" are very light, and protect your toes and soles. Like I said, the only problem I had was the feel of the shoe between my toes when I ran.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really understand the point.

If you want to be barefoot, be barefoot.

If you want to practice in a shoe, because most of us wear shoes most of the time, and it makes sense to practice at least somewhat realistically, then wear shoes.

Whats the point of wearing a shoe that feels like you are barefoot?

Lamont

Edit: Disease, if your training floor is nasty enough that you are worried about catching a fungal disease, THAT would make sense to wear something. But if that is the problem the solution is to clean the floor, not this fugly thing.
I said the same things when I saw them. Really did not get the point. But after some thought, I think they are not for Martial Arts but for other outside activities when protection is needed for the soles of the foot but you would like to be barefoot but can't be, like on tanbark, rocks or something like those. That is the only thing I can see them used for, in the dojo or dojang the server no purpose at all.

For running I would stick to something made for the impact on the joints. These would not suffice at all.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Somebody in my class wears them. He does parkour too, so it seems like a great investment for him.

We tease him mercilessly anyway. %-}

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aside from "Wear Shoes" there is no restriction on what type of shoes I can wear to work...
I just can't make myself spend $75 for those...