Winter...I hate winter...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it's 47 out, rainy, and ugly. Time to pull the AC and start weather proofing. I realized that living in Buffalo my windows are closed tight 6-7 months out of the year, and that I only get at best 4 months to shoot outside. Soon that white crap will start falling, and I'll need to start paying the gas company buttloads of cash to stay only slightly chilled. Here's hoping that Xmas 2010 will be spent somewhere in central Texas, in shorts, on my own deck with the only snow to be seen a can of spray snow.

:D

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Bob - after moving to Florida...I don't think that I can ever do another Winter. High 85, low 72 without fail. Chance of thunderstorms in the evening. It's a rough life.

Missing the MT Meet and Greet is a small price to pay for LIVING in a vacation spot.

The sooner you move down here, the sooner I can make it again!

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Where I am, I DREAM of Buffalo winter........consistently -20F, sometimes colder..loads of snow.....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the winter and feel bad for anyone not experiencing it's beautiful deathly chills.
icon12.gif

Attachments

• $Winter Outdoor Pictures February 2008 10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 133
  • $Winter Outdoor Pictures February 2008 11.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 122

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob, you might be singin' a different tune come summertime. Texas summers can be brutal. Of course, I gre up there so I can handle anything this earth has to throw at me. When I was in Central Africa, the locals told me I was the only white woman they had seen who could work like an African during the heat of the day (in the end, it was the parasites that got me...)

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I moved from Pennsylvania to the South ten years ago and I miss winter. Or more specifically I miss snow. I still have my cross-country skis and every year when our annual storm hits I'll whoosh around the neighborhood.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was there (Texas) for a week in August last year...I was ok, just drank lots n lots of water and dropped 10 lbs. lol!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I lived in Ohio for a few years. It was hellish. I would get cold in early September and not thaw out until the end of May. Now I'm in Texas, which is just fine with me. I grew up in South Louisiana, which is hot as the dickens and has 100% humidity most of the time, so 100+ temps here with low humidity aren't that bad.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It went from the 80's to the 50's in one day here in central Ohio. Electric heat and frozen pipes are what I have to look forward to for the next 4 months.

I long for a beach somewhere in south Cali.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Winter is great. Driving in the winter is a pain.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I don't like freezing cold but driving in snow, that can be a lot of fun. Of course, the fun is in direct disproportion to the number of other drivers on the road. The more drivers, the less fun.

Edit - Buffalo is one place I would not want to winter in. I used to work with a guy who worked in Buffalo at one time. The parking lot for the business was on the lake. He told me that they actually had ropes for people to hold onto as they made their way from the parking lot to the building. Wow!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where I'm living Autumn is the most beautiful time of the year. Remember all those trees Bob? Well imagine them in bright vibrant colors.
That would be a spectacular photograph in-of-by-itself. :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do enjoy fall. I find it ironic that I prefer photographing clothed trees.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
. Here's hoping that Xmas 2010 will be spent somewhere in central Texas, in shorts, on my own deck with the only snow to be seen a can of spray snow.

:D

I hope you get what you want-as long as you know that it won't be all that you want.

Prepare to be pissed-or amused-at Texas drivers during one of their ice-storms....

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll hopefully be watching from my porch when that happens. lol.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Before you shuffle off to Texas to fry eggs on the sidewalk and burn yourself on your car seats in summer I have to say there is nothing like standing on the side of a mountain in Pennsylvania (outside of Coudersport while snowshoeing – oh and they call them hills there :D) in the winter when it is about -20 with the wind chill on top of about 2 feet of snow. That is an awesome sight and an awesome place to be…. Enjoy the heat of Texas…Lord know I wouldn’t

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lived most of my life in Southern California. Know what? I don't wanna go back. We get a lot of drizzle here and I honestly start to feel it in March. I like four seasons rather than the year-round summer I had before.

Latest Discussions