Wing Chun

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by mdthomp31, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mdthomp31

mdthomp31 Guest

Hello everyone my name is Matt, I am new to Martial Talk and look forward to talking to everyone. I started taking Wing Chun with Sifu Berger in Atlanta about two and a half years ago. I moved about 50 miles away and cannot take his class so I have to practice on my own now.I still train on my own but it is tough not having a training partner or a wing chun studio close by.I have learened Siu Lum Tao and Chum Kui and still am trying to find a good training aid for Bil Jee.

2. MJS

MJS Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Welcome to the forum Matt!! Enjoy your stay!

Mike

3. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Welcome!

You need a partner, it seems. Can you teach someone yet?

4. Ceicei

Ceicei Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Welcome! :wavey:

Where are you located?

There are quite a few people here who practice Wing Chun, and they may be able to supply you with ideas/resources/suggestions/locations that may help with your situation.

- Ceicei

5. bart

bart Brown Belt

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I wouldn't let 50 miles stop you. Often times a teacher will allow a student to train at a distance and will let you come in for training once or twice a month. Without some warm bodies, you're not going to go far with your WC training at the stage that you are. Have you approached your teacher to see if he has a distance program? You may be surprised by the answer.

Other quality instructors like Duncan Leong have distance training that will allow you to create a study group and learn as you go with travel to train with the Sifu at regular intervals.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mdthomp31

mdthomp31 Guest

No, have not completed enough to teach a whole lot. I culd probably teach Siu Lum Tao and a little Chum Kui but nothing beyond that.

7. mdthomp31

mdthomp31 Guest

Thanks bart. My only issue with traveling the distance which I realized yesterday is that it is actually 65 miles is that this is Atlanta and if you know Atlanta a 65 mile drive through this traffic is hurendous. I do need to ask my Sifu if he has ever thought of openeing a remote studio or having a senior student open it for him. I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts you guys have.