Wing Chun

M

mdthomp31

Hello everyone my name is Matt, I am new to Martial Talk and look forward to talking to everyone. I started taking Wing Chun with Sifu Berger in Atlanta about two and a half years ago. I moved about 50 miles away and cannot take his class so I have to practice on my own now.I still train on my own but it is tough not having a training partner or a wing chun studio close by.I have learened Siu Lum Tao and Chum Kui and still am trying to find a good training aid for Bil Jee.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Matt!! Enjoy your stay!

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome! :wavey:

Where are you located?

There are quite a few people here who practice Wing Chun, and they may be able to supply you with ideas/resources/suggestions/locations that may help with your situation.

- Ceicei

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mdthomp31 said:
Hello everyone my name is Matt, I am new to Martial Talk and look forward to talking to everyone. I started taking Wing Chun with Sifu Berger in Atlanta about two and a half years ago. I moved about 50 miles away and cannot take his class so I have to practice on my own now.I still train on my own but it is tough not having a training partner or a wing chun studio close by.I have learened Siu Lum Tao and Chum Kui and still am trying to find a good training aid for Bil Jee.

I wouldn't let 50 miles stop you. Often times a teacher will allow a student to train at a distance and will let you come in for training once or twice a month. Without some warm bodies, you're not going to go far with your WC training at the stage that you are. Have you approached your teacher to see if he has a distance program? You may be surprised by the answer.

Other quality instructors like Duncan Leong have distance training that will allow you to create a study group and learn as you go with travel to train with the Sifu at regular intervals.

Good luck.

OP
M

mdthomp31

No, have not completed enough to teach a whole lot. I culd probably teach Siu Lum Tao and a little Chum Kui but nothing beyond that.

OP
M

mdthomp31

Thanks bart. My only issue with traveling the distance which I realized yesterday is that it is actually 65 miles is that this is Atlanta and if you know Atlanta a 65 mile drive through this traffic is hurendous. I do need to ask my Sifu if he has ever thought of openeing a remote studio or having a senior student open it for him. I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts you guys have.

Latest Discussions