Wing CHUN Wing TSUN rivallry?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see what ya'll are saying, but...
we have videos of me and hubbie using anti-grappling against 10+ year experienced BJJ and wrestling fighters and defending beautifully. Some fighters came to our school to learn and "test us out", and only studied 2-3 years BJJ or MMA, but when they found that they couldn't just submit hubbie or I then they didn't know what to think. Some became students, most just never came back. (bummer too, we were very polite, and nice_

But, if we put these videos online people just assume that the opponent was "compliant" or unexperienced thus making the videos worthless.
That's why we're trying to do the cage thing. Then this claim cannot be made.

This stuff works. Traditional WC works against these types of fighters too. It just takes longer to perfect it. (2-4 years study in WT/WC whatever, making your first level would be preferable.)
Again, depends on the student and the teacher.

We learn what to expect from a BJJ or grappler, but we don't focus on learning how to do thier technique. That would take away time from learning ours.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see what ya'll are saying, but...
we have videos of me and hubbie using anti-grappling against 10+ year experienced BJJ and wrestling fighters and defending beautifully. Some fighters came to our school to learn and "test us out", and only studied 2-3 years BJJ or MMA, but when they found that they couldn't just submit hubbie or I then they didn't know what to think. Some became students, most just never came back. (bummer too, we were very polite, and nice_

But, if we put these videos online people just assume that the opponent was "compliant" or unexperienced thus making the videos worthless.
That's why we're trying to do the cage thing. Then this claim cannot be made..
It is very easy to see on videos how good someone is
I'm not expecting you to go up against Royce Gracie and have the best fight we've ever seen, but just an idea of how you deal with people on the ground
As I have said before, chunners can hold their feet very well. In previous demos, Master Chan challenged me to throw him to the floor in any way I wanted. Using wing chun stancework and movement, I couldn't do it. He even got so cheeky as to stand on one leg in the end

The point is, it can be very easy to keep yoru feet if you train it, but it is those times when the fight does go into a clinch or to the ground when you don't expect it to.

If you are punched in the head and go to the floor and your opponent gets on top of you, what do you do to recover for example?

If you won't post it, we can't see what you are talking about
There will always be criticism, no matter how good/bad your techniques are. The point is that we are on a discussion forum having a debate about grappling and wing chun, and your video could possibly end it once and for all.

This stuff works. Traditional WC works against these types of fighters too. It just takes longer to perfect it. (2-4 years study in WT/WC whatever, making your first level would be preferable.)
Again, depends on the student and the teacher.

We learn what to expect from a BJJ or grappler, but we don't focus on learning how to do thier technique. That would take away time from learning ours.
If you don't learn the principles or how to do their technique, you can't really say 'we learn what to expect from a BJJ artist'. My training is a blue belt in BJJ and he tries something different everytime

But in Kamon we aren't that interested in learning how to outgrapple a grapple. As I have previously said, you only need the skills to get back into a position where you can use your wing chun

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright...bag on me if you want to,but Sifu Emin does teach groundfighting,to what caliber or degree? Still delivers.....I have often noticed that here in this forum that people often spout off....usually...I suspect it's people who have some know how..some who have something to prove without any regard to furthering the art.Also without respect to a true master of their profession.All of you...please do your homework.GGM Leung Ting is not just another Wing Tsun personnage, he is the real deal.I only want people to realize,that I would have the same respect towards your Sifu or GM.Most could not stand foot to foot with these people,I know.With respect to Sifu Kevin Chan,GM Leung Ting,Sifu Emin .. the list goes on....please, we all have something to share....in this Wing Chun Forum.No accusations.... or finger pointing..help me out here...Si-Je,
don't know what your beef is with Gm Ting,but have you ever considered attending one of his classes or better yet seminars before dealing judgement?Just a question and not a stab at you....I tend to like your posts,but I did not expect such negativity towards GM Ting.He does not deserve any discredit at all.To me there should be no rivalry..respect should be shared by all who practise this art..... the proof is in the pudding.....are you a pugilist or a voice?This is a fighting art people...do you train to truly fight..or practice out of "convenience?"Opinion only....take no offense....

Last edited:

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK I would like to un-do this post before it starts a fire..I still don't understand why people dislike Wing Tsun so much,it's seems to me that GM Leung Ting & Sifu Emin take a lot of hits,can anyone tell me why?I'm curious about the big push for BJJ, isn't this WT? pardon me for being on the defense.....

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK I would like to un-do this post before it starts a fire..I still don't understand why people dislike Wing Tsun so much,it's seems to me that GM Leung Ting & Sifu Emin take a lot of hits,can anyone tell me why?I'm curious about the big push for BJJ, isn't this WT? pardon me for being on the defense.....

I hope you are not aiming this at me. I was only asking legitimate questions I am truly curious about. In a perfect world, I'd study both systems as well as others outside WC/WT.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
To be truthful,no I am not aiming this at anyone,I apologize If I offended anyone with that earlier post.The postings I've seen that have to do with GM leung Ting and the Sifu Emin are usually negative.I just want to know why.Is there anything about these styles or linneages that people do not like? It's just a question that deserves an answer,not meant to offend.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Dude, you haven't insulted anyone. I have seen and trained with Leung Ting a cpuple of times and have 'trained' with a few of his instructors.

I don't like some of the things that Leung ting has said in the past, that is all. And the way he runs his school like a headhunting corperation.

His technical skill is there and knowledge of wing chun is there, but I just can't find it in my heart to trust the guy
I would direct your attention to the article named 'Leung ting - The Big Fake' that has been posted in several martial art forums. There is indeed lots of goosip and talk about him and as you have pointed out, people should really see the guy before they pass judgement

As for Bosteppi - I like the guy and like his training clips
I have heard good things about him and would relish the chance to see him in person. If he teaches groundfighting then I only have more respect for him

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the honest response.....I have trained with Sifu Bozteppe,I believe he is headed in that direction(groundfighting)..at least that Is what I observed while attending one of his seminars,same Wing Tsun....diferent approach....as far as GM Ting..when you're that well known around the world...being a celeb.does come with a price,what I personally experienced..definitely quality instruction...

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for the honest response.....I have trained with Sifu Bozteppe,I believe he is headed in that direction(groundfighting)..at least that Is what I observed while attending one of his seminars,same Wing Tsun....diferent approach....as far as GM Ting..when you're that well known around the world...being a celeb.does come with a price,what I personally experienced..definitely quality instruction...

Bozteppi has always sparked my interest and I think that if he goes into groundfighting it will make him very famous