wing chun vs muai thai

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ON Thompson vs. Brown Highlight.... weLL?
Here's my read on the Thompson vs Brown Hightlight.
0:28 wasted kick to the face. Within the same amount of time Thompson could have ended the fight with a kick to the ribs provided it was hard and solid enough to break them or bruise them. The timing of the kick was good, but the type of kick was wrong. (I'm referring to the kick to the body at 0:28). A person that prefers kicking to the body instead of the head would have kick to the body when the opponent tries to long punch to the head.

1:33 Thompson had brown backpedaling and should have used a low sweep while brown was unstable. Unstable footing is the idea to do low sweeps. Even if brown doesn't fall from the sweep, he'll have to use a lot of energy to keep from falling. If he falls then he'll use a lot of energy to get back up. Fighters usually miss opportunities for sweeps because they aren't looking for them.

Thompson does a lot of head hunting. Punches to the biceps and triceps helps to slow down punches, if they are open then they should be attacked when the hands are are covering the head.

Thompson at 2:41 should have been sweeping the mess out of Brown running away or at a bare minimum kicking the back of those legs.

Brown did a better job at attacking a backpedaling Thompson. In my school we are taught not to backpedal as it makes things worse. For me if I see my opponent backpedal then I'm going to take away his root. A person can't kick when they are back pedaling

I saw a lot of things that I would have clearly taken advantage of. To me it didn't look like they were fighting with a specific strategy. Strategy for fighting high kickers is to move in on the high kick, sweep the standing leg of the high kick. As seen in the video below.

Strategy for jab or cross is to parry it and then counter. I didn't see much of that. They both also fought with their hands down low. Brown always covered the right side of his head as if he was going to get kicked on the right side. This often left is face open for a punch. If he fought with his hands up then he wouldn't have to guard like that.

There wasn't enough body work, both were trying to fight upstairs a lot, which goes back to how I fight. "Fight my opponent where he isn't." If both fists are flying at my face then everything below that punch is open and that's where I need to counter. If kick comes to my head then there's an open at the bottom. If my opponent is kicking me low then I fight above the kick. Watch the video with that in mind and you'll see all of the openings that I saw.

When I spar, I fight based on what my opponent gives me. But they both seem determined to end the fight in a specific manner.

Latest Discussions