wing chun heavy bag app?

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
howdy doodley neighbour lol

So yeah didnt know where to post this...computer section isnt for this kinda question.

What apps would you guys recommend for a wing chun practitioner for using a heavy bag?

I been looking at kickboxing bag apps.

As allways your input is welcome :)

dlcox

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest that the bag is more important than the app. Simply get a bag and hit it, no app required.

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
As a guitarist...i know how to be creative with music..lbut being creative with my repertoire of punches, kicks and foot work is not obvious to me and am looking for something to show me the way...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a guitarist...i know how to be creative with music..lbut being creative with my repertoire of punches, kicks and foot work is not obvious to me and am looking for something to show me the way...

Going basic then. Learn to get punch first, kick second IMHO :)

dlcox

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A teacher is better than an app. If no teacher I would suggest a video for reference. If it is just for a work out no need for either, if to improve fighting ability, a teacher is needed. In all honesty I don't believe an app exists.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, there isn't an app, dvd, or "distance learning program that can compare to legit instruction from a qualified teacher. I know this is hard for us to swallow in this modern age, but it's the truth ...at least for now. If you are good with tech stuff, maybe this is a problem you can help contribute to solving ....someday.

Meanwhile, as you are a guitarist, I'd recommend going easy, and building up reps and power gradually. Avoid going for "hand conditioning" and hitting any bags with hard fill. I used to do that and it was a mistake. Fortunately, I'm not a musician and my hands still work well enough to do my artwork as well as martial arts. So dude, "F" the apps and find a sifu who values your talent a a musician so you won't mess up your hands. Happy training.

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
Have teacher but was looking for an app to say out combinations and timer between rounds etc... A teacher all well and good but he not going to do that for free.

Ah well might have to use another styles app then...

Yes Transk learning basics simply on bag like that will help.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have teacher but was looking for an app to say out combinations and timer between rounds etc... A teacher all well and good but he not going to do that for free.

Ah well might have to use another styles app then...

Yes Transk learning basics simply on bag like that will help.

Do you want it for just fitness or for your actual style. If it's just for fitness Bas Rutten had good CDs and Dvds where he does rounds of kicks, punches etc shouting them out for you. Iain Abernethy has a DVD that counts out kicks in rounds for you as well. These are both for any style.

If you want it for style there's nothing that can help even if it's available, as the others have said you need an instructor.

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
Bas Rutten! Now your talking my language ;) thank you Tez, will have to get my hands on that...

So far am learning by mistakes on the bag...skin off knuckles cause of inadequately padded gloves and no hand wraps...

Cool thank you guys :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bas Rutten! Now your talking my language ;) thank you Tez, will have to get my hands on that...

So far am learning by mistakes on the bag...skin off knuckles cause of inadequately padded gloves and no hand wraps...

Cool thank you guys :)

It will be either boxing or MMA punching, very good for fitness workouts which is what they are designed for, WC punching I believe is done differently so you may need a good instructor!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be either boxing or MMA punching, very good for fitness workouts which is what they are designed for, WC punching I believe is done differently so you may need a good instructor!

Pretty much the chain punch. Well in the context of what I know is a punch. In this case I feel WC is bereft of options.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty much the chain punch. Well in the context of what I know is a punch. In this case I feel WC is bereft of options.

Why limit a workout to chain punching? Maybe the word "punch" is the problem. "Strikes" is more all-encompassing. Our VT has straight, hooking and uppercutting punches, then add palm strikes, fak-sau, elbows, etc. and you can get a pretty good and varied workout.

Latest Discussions