WT book covering basics needed

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys,

Got a few WC books but none of them covers things like how to execute the basic strikes of WT.

So am wondering if anyone knows of a book that details how to execute the basic attacks of the system. I need in depth information about how the power for each strike is generated. Eg cross...power comes from rear leg ball of foot etc.

I have a teacher but his explanations are not in depth enough for me to grasp the complete path kinetic(?) energy travels for each strike.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hi guys,

Got a few WC books but none of them covers things like how to execute the basic strikes of WT.

So am wondering if anyone knows of a book that details how to execute the basic attacks of the system. I need in depth information about how the power for each strike is generated. Eg cross...power comes from rear leg ball of foot etc.

I have a teacher but his explanations are not in depth enough for me to grasp the complete path kinetic(?) energy travels for each strike.

The way to explain power generation varies a bit depending on your lineage. I noticed that you used the abbreviation "WT" as used by Leung Ting (my original Sifu). Is that the system you train? And if so, do you train AWTO, EWTO, EEWTO, or Hong Kong branch of the IWTMAA? They all use slightly different training methods.

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
My teacher never mentioned lineage so i had to look it up...this is thefounder of organisation i train in...

Nick Smart eWingChun

Trained under Leung Ting...headed the uk branch of IWTA then broke off and formed own organisation apparently.

So the short answer is Leung Ting. I would be very interested in any books you would deem essential reading for a beginner like me. Cheers.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you should either give it more time;

I agree that you probably just need more time.
I would be willing to bet your Sifu could make your head explode with the amount of detail he could give you on each and every aspect of WT.
His approach is probably much like everyone else's, myself included, which is give it to you in small digestible pieces that don't overwhelm or confuse, or worse, discourage.

But that's not what you asked, so to answer your question, check out Dynamic Wing Tsun, by Leung Ting.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What Yak said: Dynamic Wing Tsun (I think I'm in that book somewhere), and also the "big book" ie Wing Tsun Kuen, both by Leung Ting.

Also what Danny T. and Kwun Sau said: Give it time, get the "little idea" right and don't try to learn everything at once. A strong punch comes from proper, unified structure, kinetic linkages, relaxation, development of muscle and tendons.... and so on. It's too much too think about, but if you do the training a lot of it will develop naturally.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What Yak said: Dynamic Wing Tsun (I think I'm in that book somewhere), and also the "big book" ie Wing Tsun Kuen, both by Leung Ting.

Also what Danny T. and Kwun Sau said: Give it time, get the "little idea" right and don't try to learn everything at once. A strong punch comes from proper, unified structure, kinetic linkages, relaxation, development of muscle and tendons.... and so on. It's too much too think about, but if you do the training a lot of it will develop naturally.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This post is of interest to me; I had posted sometime last year on trying to find a good WT/WC "coffee table book" to refer to when I have downtime and am not training (will be on a plane and sitting in an airport for a few hours next week for example). The Leung Ting books Geezer and Yak Sao mentioned are already on my Amazon list to buy.

I agree that any good Sifu likely has a wealth of detail they have to whittle down to sound bites to communicate during class. Class time is limited, and perhaps the thought process is that any student who needs to understand in more nuanced detail, will be a long-term student who attends frequently, and with time this info can be passed along. Also, getting too bogged down with details or the "whys" behind everything, whilee important, takes away from valuable partner training time. This is the sense I get.