will the morally confused please stand up

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
It's intersesting he sites Nazi Germany as an example, since wasn't it Hitler and his regime that used nationalism as a socio-political tool to fuel an invasion of a neighboring country (for "breathing room")? Wasn't it the third Reich's platform that if you spoke out against the nation, you were part of the enemy?

I'm no student of history by any stretch of the imagination, but even I can see corrollaries here, and they're the opposite of what Heir Rumsfeld is saying.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
It's intersesting he sites Nazi Germany as an example, since wasn't it Hitler and his regime that used nationalism as a socio-political tool to fuel an invasion of a neighboring country (for "breathing room")? Wasn't it the third Reich's platform that if you spoke out against the nation, you were part of the enemy?

Might have been. The "If you aren't part of the solution, then you are part of the problem" mentality has been used by the American Left and the American Right to indulge in name-calling and denigration of whomever they disagree with.

Same scheist, different day.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too bad both the left and right are both part of the problem though.

Jeff

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Too bad both the left and right are both part of the problem though.

Jeff

So true.

No, I'm not morally confused - I think Secretary Rumsfeld should step down.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lol that is the best way to get a point across when it logically makes no sense to a few million sound people, insult them. Of course coming from this administration it surprises me little.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find two things frustrating, 1) that no one with any real power will ever counter his remarks, no matter what and 2) that this current climate of left's and right's make it impossible to have any politicians who are in the middle. If you are a Republican who doesn't support the war, you are gone, if you are a democrat who does support the are, you are gone. There is no middle ground anymore and as someone who stands just to the right of the middle, I find that frustrating and disheartening....

OP
J

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well for this morally confused dude- where i am mystified by rummy's comments is that no one i know who's anti-iraq-- isn't equally from the KILL OR CAPTURE Osama camp. I don't really know anyone is trying to appease alqueda- in fact-- we have rummy confusing the iraq war against WMD with the war on terror/alqueda again.

it is a wonder how rummy can speak of moral confusion when the US continues to ignore or take action in Dafur, where under the most virulent rule of islamic "fascists," a genocidal campaign against african tribes people in the region had been called "genocide" by no less than Colin Powell while he was Sec of State.

George W. Bush had just a few years ago criticized the UN for its inaction in Rwanda as a way to justify the US taking action in Iraq.

sit around and imagine if we funded our anti-terror/homeland security operation with an extra 500 billion dollars right now... no, that's too intellectually difficult to contemplate.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I support our troops in the field. I do not support this war. In the greater scheme of things, and for the original "reason", this war is a misguided issue.
It accomplishes nothing. It costs billions. It makes life rough on the folks at home. It does nothing good for anyone, except for Bush and gang.

I'm not morally confused. I simply callzemazIseezem.

Bring our military assets home for now and use them where they will do the most good. In my opinion, that would be where the terrorists are seated.

I'd kind of like to see a huge sweep of the mountain border regions of Pakistan.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Donald Rumsfeld, 21'st Century America's own version of Heinrich Himmler.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, obviously, since I disagree with Bush's policies and Rumsfeld's tactics, I am morally and intellectually confused. Or in other words, I'm both immoral and stupid.

Or it's possible that I am neither, that I understand perfectly well, but I just happen to disagree with Bush's policies and Rumsfeld's tactics.

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I was taking psycology in college the textbook definition of projection was blaming others for your faults.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was taking psycology in college the textbook definition of projection was blaming others for your faults.

As a soon-to-be psychology grad student, I personally believe the entire mentality of the Bush Administration's leadership is a judicious combination of projection, groupthink, and cognitive dissonance.

Outside of the sphere of social psychology (which examines how situational and group dynamics can influence individual's thoughts and behavior), though, what I find particularly interesting is that the Bush Administration leadership and their neo-conservative cohorts in Congress are almost, without exception, textbook examples of the authoritarian personality type.

That, in my opinion, is very telling....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a soon-to-be psychology grad student, I personally believe the entire mentality of the Bush Administration's leadership is a judicious combination of projection, groupthink, and cognitive dissonance.

Outside of the sphere of social psychology (which examines how situational and group dynamics can influence individual's thoughts and behavior), though, what I find particularly interesting is that the Bush Administration leadership and their neo-conservative cohorts in Congress are almost, without exception, textbook examples of the authoritarian personality type.

That, in my opinion, is very telling....

With your psych background, how do you think that compares with other recent administrations? Do you think that it (this type of behavior) is how the political duopoly attempts to force people into one of two 'acceptable' cubby-holes, our 'good' cubby-hole v. their 'evil' cubby-hole?

Don't worry, I won't see any similarities in the comparison of last two administrations as the defense of the behavior of one of those administrations. ;)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
With your psych background, how do you think that compares with other recent administrations? Do you think that it (this type of behavior) is how the political duopoly attempts to force people into one of two 'acceptable' cubby-holes, our 'good' cubby-hole v. their 'evil' cubby-hole?

Don't worry, I won't see any similarities in the comparison of last two administrations as the defense of the behavior of one of those administrations. ;)

Actually, the planning that led to the "Bay of Pigs" fiasco under the Kennedy administration is the textbook example of groupthink. I mean that literally, too.

Laterz.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No confusion here, I have no morals...I traded them for a bottle of Boons Farm Apple Wine when I was 17..

Latest Discussions