Wieght lifting

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my last question of the day on wieght lifting do you have your class do it?

1) every other day
2) once a week
3) never it is not part of the program
4) when you fell the need

Me it is on a basis of when I think it will help we do not do it much every once in a blue moon.

Terry

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is not something we do either, mostly because we do not have the equipment at our site. Someday we hope to have this and I would absolutly take advantage of the opportunity. Right now, I'd rather save the money for the extra gym fee and just keep doing good old body weight exercises. Just can't get enough pushups and burpees!!:uhyeah:

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Here is my last question of the day on wieght lifting do you have your class do it?

1) every other day
2) once a week
3) never it is not part of the program
4) when you fell the need

Me it is on a basis of when I think it will help we do not do it much every once in a blue moon.

Terry
If you are going to lift weights, either for tone or for strength, you must do it consistently, or you are not going to get any real benefit.
Our class exercises typically use body weight for developing core strength.
Lots of abdominal, lower back, butt, and thigh stuff.
Then once the muscles are tired, we work on flexibility. You really aren't going to get any significant cardio benefit in the amount of time we have to work with, so our students are expected to do cardio conditioning on their own, along with any weight/strength training they feel they may need.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is not part of our curriculum although I am a personal fitness trainer and there are sessions offered outside of the normal program.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that, outside of body weight exercises, it should be the student's responsibility to train with weights - and on their own time. There are so many gyms, classes and videos out there that, should a student desire it, there is no excuse not to train with resistance. I know that it definitely helped my TKD study - particularly in the endurance necessary not to drop your guard towards the end of a hard sparring session.

Good questions, though, as it reminds us that strength training is an important part of our physical development.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
we dont do any weight training and it is not suggested. Having said that my instructor although a very good Martial Artist is ignorant of correct conditioning for Martial Arts. The club still does static stretches as part of the warm up.

I train with weights to supplement my MA, specifically compound exercises for explosive power. Also I stretch seperate to the class in line with the sequence suggested by Kurz. Dynamic as a warm up, static as a cool down.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't have any weight training equipment at the dojang, so my instructor focuses on body weight exercises. When I injured my knee, he suggested some weight training exercises to help.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not part of my cirriculum. However, body weight barring exercises most certainly are. I like em so much, that if you're late to my class, you get to do more.:)

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only type of weight lifting we would do is wear ankle, and wrist weights during training hours. Tho I make sure that I go to the gym before I go to class. Extra strength is never a bad thing.

Laborn.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
The only type of weight lifting we would do is wear ankle, and wrist weights during training hours. Tho I make sure that I go to the gym before I go to class. Extra strength is never a bad thing.

Laborn.

enjoy the joint problems in later life.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Its not part of my cirriculum. However, body weight barring exercises most certainly are. I like em so much, that if you're late to my class, you get to do more.:)

Hmm...I see a trend. Same is true for my instructor. Luckily I have never been late, although I have gotten extra 'incentives' for other minor infractions (near test time...low knife hands vs. middle...other things like that since I should know better!)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:

Laborn, I used to use 5lb ankle weights on my arms and legs. I later found out how bad this is for your joints. If I may offer a suggestion, use the ripcord from Century if you are seeking resistance training during your Taekwondo. These are great products.

We don't do weight-lifting during our classes (except for the "weight-bearing" exercises already mentioned) but this is very important supplemental training.

Miles

Latest Discussions