Cardiovascular training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just how much wieght do many of you guy and girl put into cardiovascular training at your school?
1) Everyday
2) every other Day
3) twice a week
4) just when I feel I need it

My school works on it every class for atleast 15 minutes, I believe it is one of the most important aspect to your training especially in the early stages.
Terry

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do some cardio every class although some days are heavier than others. On basics day, the whole class is like a cardio workout whereas on requirement material days it is more of a warm up.
The more advanced the ranking, the higher the expectation for cardio (depending upon age, physical limitations, etc...)

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Warmup+drill+rolling=The whole class is sport specific cardio.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I was in TKD. We would work Cardiovascular training every class, 15 - 20 minutes. On saturdays we had a class from 2:00 - 4:00 we would just work on cardio, very important for taekwondo.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have too much material and requirements in the curriculum to target cardio or weight training. If a student wants to improve this aspect beyond the workout they get from normal in-class training, then that is their business.

I am a certified personal fitness trainer as well. The normal training provides the necessary balance for cardio and toning. But, I'm happy to help with additional training for students outside of class if desired.

R. McLain

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We dont do enough IMO in Cardiovascular training in my school, we do do some, but I think that it would be to our benefit as a class to do more of it. I personaly run and jump rope every morning with wieght training, but this is just on my own, not as a class.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do mostly cardio/strength/technique training. Everything is cardio when you push your heart/lungs. But when your're kicking high and traveling too, it gets anaerobic real quick. So far this week, we've had two killer classes. I think I've gotten to the point that I need an oxygen tank attached, so I can force feed it in. But then I guess that would be extra weight too. Then brilliant me, I'm leading four other kickboxing classes. Well, granted they are half speed newbies, but I'm the fearless leader so...I push. I do 100 while they are at 50-75 low kicks.

A better question is at what age, do we give up cardio training? Not yet...I still like the rush. But others have told me weight training is better after 50. But not my favorite way to exercise.

I think it should be on a regular basis, cardio level with strength/technique work (or sparring) or with the occasional just strength/technique workout, or cardio/strength (kickboxing!). TW

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heavy, heavy cardio with the understanding that the student will do much much more on their own to progress. Most of what we do is really based in cardio, so it gets exstensive. Of course it starts very slow and builds up.

7sm

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, Taekwondo = Cardio.
Whether it's line drills, forms, sparring drills, pad/bag drills, etc., it all gets the heart/lungs pumping. If you give every drill your all, everything is cardio in TKD.

Latest Discussions