Why You (Probably) Should Not Carry A Weapon

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem or not, it's like waving your schvantz around. Yeah yeah, that's great, put it away ya yutz.
Iā€™m donā€™t normally open carry. First, it draws attention to me which, as you are aware, is not good in a gunfight. Secondly, I donā€™t want anyone to know that Iā€™m armed, since it can make people feel uncomfortable and I donā€™t like making myself a target. Thereā€™s enough people out there that would love to kill me, I donā€™t need any more attention šŸ˜

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Open carry people tick me off. It's like a challenge to people, hoping they'll take offense so they can get all puffed up. Yeah, it's your right, we get it. Grow up.

I've left businesses when open carry people walk in. And I make sure the management knows they'll never get another penny from me as long as they permit these whackadoodles in their business. Maybe they don't care, maybe they do, but I won't reward tolerating idiocy.

I've observed that brown belts are a little cocky. They have just reached that stage when their physical skills are becoming noticeably effective and it kind of goes to their heads. It's noticeable when you see someone who's just fallen in love - it kind of goes to their head too and they get a little extra bounce in their step. Recent college grads think they know it all and want you to know it. You can tell when someone has just won the lottery by the way they spend money loosely. I think the same phenomenon apprears when someone first starts to carry a gun.

A 5th degree black belt has increased skill, the guy married for 20 yrs is still in love, and a grad who is old enough to know there's a lot he doesn't know is still smart. But as one gets used to the particular quality their attitude towards it changes. It matures and becomes more comfortable. It is more disciplined, subtle and seen in perspective. The quality becomes more internalized and less apt to be shown off. Of course, there is always the oddball that never grows up but mostly the quality gets under control and becomes "quieter" and treated with more respect over time.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iā€™m donā€™t normally open carry. First, it draws attention to me which, as you are aware, is not good in a gunfight. Secondly, I donā€™t want anyone to know that Iā€™m armed, since it can make people feel uncomfortable and I donā€™t like making myself a target. Thereā€™s enough people out there that would love to kill me, I donā€™t need any more attention šŸ˜
I've always thought of it like the guys who roll coal or have those testicle things hanging from their bumper hitch. "Hey, look at me, and by the way I hope it offends you."

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of it like the guys who roll coal or have those testicle things hanging from their bumper hitch. "Hey, look at me, and by the way I hope it offends you."
Iā€™ve spotted them in the wild. They are easy to track by their questionable English and the occasional ā€œyee-hawā€! šŸ˜‚

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™ve seen dudes open carry at political rallies, but I could tell through observation, that they were either there as CPOs for particular people, or an organized attempt at security. They did not strike me as untrained idiots. Nobody there was uncomfortable with them.

I personally am not in the habit of attending such things, but I look from afar, or look after loved ones who do decide to go check it out.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Open carry people tick me off. It's like a challenge to people, hoping they'll take offense so they can get all puffed up. Yeah, it's your right, we get it. Grow up.

I've left businesses when open carry people walk in. And I make sure the management knows they'll never get another penny from me as long as they permit these whackadoodles in their business. Maybe they don't care, maybe they do, but I won't reward tolerating idiocy.
That is an opinion you are entitled to freely have, of course. A constitutional right.
Just like the right to bear arms. So, I never have ill will against someone using their constitutional right, whether I fully agree with the method or not. And they are Not a 'whakadoodle', nor is the business owner that allows it, and by virtue does not violate their constitutional rights.

Of course, you fully have the right to not patron any establishment for any reason you can come up with. But it is blurring the line when the only reason you can come up with is 'Bills' reason.

I would say you should expect to see more and more open carry, and that there is Much more concealed carry than you may think.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm the same way with "no guns allowed" places. Because it's idiotic. The only people who will obey that sign are people you don't need to worry about.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your truck actually had any balls, you wouldn't need to hang a fake set off the bumper.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is an opinion you are entitled to freely have, of course. A constitutional right.
Just like the right to bear arms. So, I never have ill will against someone using their constitutional right, whether I fully agree with the method or not. And they are Not a 'whakadoodle', nor is the business owner that allows it, and by virtue does not violate their constitutional rights.

Of course, you fully have the right to not patron any establishment for any reason you can come up with. But it is blurring the line when the only reason you can come up with is 'Bills' reason.

I would say you should expect to see more and more open carry, and that there is Much more concealed carry than you may think.
They do have the right to open carry. I don't dispute that. I have the right to not bathe. But I'd be a jerk to subject others to my stench on purpose. Same with open carry. They have the right, but they're being jerks on purpose.

If concealed carry is done legally, I can't tell, and in any case, I'm not offended.

Please understand, the gun involved in open carry doesn't offend me. People being jerks in public does. Legal yes. Aholes also yes.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
They do have the right to open carry. I don't dispute that. I have the right to not bathe. But I'd be a jerk to subject others to my stench on purpose. Same with open carry. They have the right, but they're being jerks on purpose.

If concealed carry is done legally, I can't tell, and in any case, I'm not offended.

Please understand, the gun involved in open carry doesn't offend me. People being jerks in public does. Legal yes. Aholes also yes.
Itā€™s the retention issue that worries me. All it takes is one ahole to try and grab the gun, and weā€™re all in trouble. At least if youā€˜re doing security at an event, youā€˜re paying attention. When was the last time you worked retention on the mat?

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Itā€™s the retention issue that worries me. All it takes is one ahole to try and grab the gun, and weā€™re all in trouble. At least if youā€˜re doing security at an event, youā€˜re paying attention. When was the last time you worked retention on the mat?
Thatā€™s why it is generally recommended to use at least a level III retention holster if you choose to open carry. Sadly, most donā€™t listen.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

To each his own. I am really indifferent about open carry. Think about it; if something really goes down, they are going to be the first person the bad guy draws a bead on. It will not be me, so I am okay with that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To each his own. I am really indifferent about open carry. Think about it; if something really goes down, they are going to be the first person the bad guy draws a bead on. It will not be me, so I am okay with that.

People who open carry around here are looking for trouble. They either want to provoke cops, provoke liberals, or both. They arenā€™t good guys, and I have no faith that theyā€™d be any use at all in a real crisis.

I see someone open carrying and just presume theyā€™re an insecure, unpredictable coward.

Fortunately, we donā€™t see it all that often.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who open carry around here are looking for trouble. They either want to provoke cops, provoke liberals, or both. They arenā€™t good guys, and I have no faith that theyā€™d be any use at all in a real crisis.

I see someone open carrying and just presume theyā€™re an insecure, unpredictable coward.

Fortunately, we donā€™t see it all that often.
Itā€™s beginning to become common here, except itā€™s more ā€œobscured carry.ā€ The trend is they carry a subcompact pistol IWB without a cover garment. When standing, their gut or shirt overhang obscures the view somewhat. Sitting however, exposes the grip.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Itā€™s beginning to become common here, except itā€™s more ā€œobscured carry.ā€ The trend is they carry a subcompact pistol IWB without a cover garment. When standing, their gut or shirt overhang obscures the view somewhat. Sitting however, exposes the grip.
Is that still considered open carry, according to the law?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It is, but this is an open carry state.
Washington is also an open carry state. I live in a semi-rural area where I would guess half of my neighbors carry a gun everywhere they go. I am curious what the local deputies would think if someone who looks like theyā€™re sorta kinda hiding their gun.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington is also an open carry state. I live in a semi-rural area where I would guess half of my neighbors carry a gun everywhere they go. I am curious what the local deputies would think if someone who looks like theyā€™re sorta kinda hiding their gun.
They donā€™t care here, since most have their permit, and we just became a constitutional carry state.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought.
1 - Open carry provides a deterrent; a bad guy is likely to go elsewhere looking for unarmed victims.
2 - open carry is a sign that says "shoot me first".
There's not actually any evidence at all to support either position, so go with your gut. I lean slightly towards the "shoot me first" sign, and also feel like open carry is attention seeking behaviour. So I conceal.

Latest Discussions