Why until recently effective TMA practitioners were not represented in MMA?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people looked at professional mma fighters and compared how they trained they would become better at civilian self defense.

So you want people who have careers other than pro fighting to train full time because you think it will make them better at self defence designed for people who cannot train full time. of course though you always make the assumption that TMA don't train hard within their style, plenty of TMA train harder that amateur MMA people a lot of whom never take a fight. It, as always, is more down to individuals than styles.

Nope actually Gsp beat Hendricks by decision. Do your homework. Otherwise you look stupid....and you don't need any help with that

I find much of the posts he puts up confusing. I've never put up a syllabus of the Wado Ryu training so am not sure why he thinks it's all sparring. As I also do MMA training it's possible he's confused the two which is, to be honest, a very hard thing to do.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep Shihan Judd's was incredible... he holds camps every year pretty close to where I live, have not gone on one though.

But yeah the 100 man kumite is something very special in Kyokushin and it's probably one of the most difficult challenges in MA altogether... absolutely brutal... and I think you can put in interest to do it but have to be invited. A Sensei in our branch was invited to do the 50 man kumite last year, was amazing...
If your school encourages training at other organizations and you live near Shihan Judd’s school, Why don’t you you the camp ?

It’s an uchi deschi experience for 5 days. Incredible opportunity to learn from someone who has done some amazing things.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you want people who have careers other than pro fighting to train full time because you think it will make them better at self defence designed for people who cannot train full time. of course though you always make the assumption that TMA don't train hard within their style, plenty of TMA train harder that amateur MMA people a lot of whom never take a fight. It, as always, is more down to individuals than styles.

People can do what they want. But the more effective their training is the better a martial artist they will become.

If results mattered in self defence then yes I would say train full time.

If the results are more down to the individual than the style. It is an indication the style isn't working.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your school encourages training at other organizations and you live near Shihan Judd’s school, Why don’t you you the camp ?

It’s an uchi deschi experience for 5 days. Incredible opportunity to learn from someone who has done some amazing things.

I'm no longer with Kyokushin, but I still help teach the kid's classes at my old dojo.

Yeah the camp is held not too far from me (and it's not uchi deshi style one that he holds in Thailand, but a 2-3 day one), and I've definitely considered it, but honestly I'm just not well enough to do it (have been unwell for more than a year). Would be far too intense for me at the moment, and am trying to leave behind that style of training, as educational as it would be. Would be awesome though...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the results are more down to the individual than the style. It is an indication the style isn't working.

So you have a fat lazy guy who trains MMA once a week and is useless so it's the style's fault, there's someone who only trains Muay Thai when he feels like it and is a lousy fighter but it's Muay Thai's fault? That is an amusing thought but complete rubbish.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused is that meant to be an insult or do you think I'm a guy who rides a horse

I think we are both supposed to know what he means, sort of by mind reading or 'far seeing', I don't know about you but it's not working for me!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think this statement conflates common TMA training (Whig I was referring to - mostly hobbyists) and the elites. Elites train differently, tend to cross-train more, and focus more on fitness. I think what Tez is getting at is that MMA is an extension of TMA. I tend to see it that way, too, though not quite the same way she does.
If you took 300 regular people, sent 100 to a school that trains "tma" and 100 to a school that trains MMA or even some other combat sport (wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ), and then 100 who don't train at all as a control. The two groups who train both train 3 nights each week for 90 minutes. After a year, how do you think the three groups would fare in a fight? To be clear, I'm not talking about professional athletes or elite athletes or even people who are athletically inclined.

MMA is a training model. The difference in the training model is exactly what DB is pointing to. To say that MMA is an extension of TMA is a copout, like when Someone brags about how their cousin is successful, implying that they are also successful by proxy, or that they could also be successful if they wanted to be, while dismissing the hard work involved with success. Take the doctor example. A guy who works 80 hours at the hospital isn't going to become a great martial artist. Probably developing some real skill as a doctor, though. That person is making a choice.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, what you keep saying is that TMA isn't as effective as MMA. You keep saying that MMA is trained harder than TMA's, well all professional athletes train harder than amateur ones, simple fact. I know a lot of people who train MMA 'lightly' who still have a fight a year. it's down to the person not the style.

Tiger Camp is professional, most martial artists aren't. it's isn't the epitome of martial arts at all, it's the epitome of professional fighters who do martial arts. Big difference. it's fit for it's purpose but it's not the purpose of other martial artists who train for reasons other than fighting, no comparison. As I said, you are comparing oranges to apples. Only a few people want to be pro fighters, many people who train MMA don't. Saying that because pro fighters train hard TMA is rubbish is just silly.

Btw there's not that many Aussies in Hollywood, more Brits actually and funnily enough more Americans!
And all of your American accents stink! ;). The Hemsworths are the worst!

Also, most who train MMA are not pros.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused is that meant to be an insult or do you think I'm a guy who rides a horse

Your are confused, the admission confirms. Jockey, it's simple & straightforward. How you like it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your are confused, the admission confirms. Jockey, it's simple & straightforward. How you like it.
All I know is where I'm from a jockey is a guy who races horses so if that's your insult you need to try harder

Latest Discussions