Why the young believe they know more than they do ...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do we have a definition or consensus what are we saying is old and what is young??

I am interested which category I am in ha.. :)

I am happy if I can get to the point where I know what I do not know. Most times I do not even know that much :)

Jx

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@K-man Haha.. I hope that is not a bad thing lols.. :D anyway do not encourage me mister! if I believe I am "young" then I will only live up to the stereotypes we have of young = obnoxious know-it all.. Then again if you leave me to my devices I will default to being old and live up to the stereotype of BELIEVING I know most every thing if not ACTUALLY every thing :)

----

Before I would argue with my son that he did not know best for him and that I knew better by virtue of having already experienced what he could only theorize. As I found my self apologising to him ever more that the situation had transpired as HE reckoned and not as I had warned I concluded I had not the magick touch to read the future as I assumed.

So I deem it is best when younger generation and older generation can see each other without the ego of each other tainting the image.. If a younger generation person can have it demonstrated that the older has only their interest at heart then it will help them moderate their behaviour.. if the older generation person likewise refuses to be affronted if the younger declines their wisdom then this itself is wisdom!

To imagine as an older generation person we cannot be taught by one younger is for us to miss a lot.. we miss a lot that help to also keep us fresh and novel and innovative and not static and stagnant always doing a thing the way it is "supposed" to be done etc.

When each of us truly appreciate the value in our own selves we can much better see the value in each and every other :)

Jx

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do we have a definition or consensus what are we saying is old and what is young??

I am interested which category I am in ha.. :)

I am happy if I can get to the point where I know what I do not know. Most times I do not even know that much :)

Jx

please refer to post #11, I think I explained rather well.... and since it all depends on what age I am at the moment...well I believe you fall in the young category :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel young and I have the body of a twenty eight year old...his wife wants him back though. Still, as they say, you are only as old as the man you feel ( or woman depending on your preference)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel young and I have the body of a twenty eight year old...his wife wants him back though. Still, as they say, you are only as old as the man you feel ( or woman depending on your preference)

You are young, relatively speaking.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was training this morning (Aikido) and my partner, whom I have trained with for nearly fifteen years, asked me not to do the takedowns as he was starting to have trouble getting back up. He is only 53. I have difficulty even remembering when I was 53. :bored:

'Old' is not dependent on age.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I read this thread, and for some reason, the phrase, "I greet you," comes to mind. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was training this morning (Aikido) and my partner, whom I have trained with for nearly fifteen years, asked me not to do the takedowns as he was starting to have trouble getting back up. He is only 53. I have difficulty even remembering when I was 53. :bored:

'Old' is not dependent on age.

Especially in the martial arts, your physical age is different from your chronological age.

OP
pgsmith

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my Mum's favorite lines was "You're only as old as you feel, and that will depend on who's doing the feeling!" She was in her mid 80's then. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well anyway, I don't think we should stereotype about people based on their age. And this goes for both young people and old people, we shouldn't stereotype based on age.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So anyway this particular response is in direct response of what the OP said about being a Scoutmaster. This is a bit late but I am going to post it anyway. Pgsmith claims to have been a Scoutmaster and this is a quote from the original post.
A group of 20 or 30 teenage boys contains pretty much the sum of human knowledge within them. Just ask them, they'll tell you!
If you're talking about a group of 20 or 30 teenage boys in Boyscouts, if they hope to go far in Boyscouts they can't have that attitude. Its people who think they know it all who in fact usually don't know much and will not learn much because they already "know it all," as far as they're concerned. As they say you need to empty your cup so you have room to take in more knowledge. Anyway, in Boyscouts being an Eagle Scout is hard. There is so much you need to know and so many skills you've got to acquire and you're not going to get an Eagle badge without years of hard work and there is tons of learning you've got to do to get there. Surely, somebody who thinks they know the entire sum of human knowledge will not be an Eagle Scout. So those 20 or 30 teenage boys you worked with in Boyscouts, I doubt any of them were Eagle Scouts and I doubt you will ever find an Eagle Scout with a know it all attitude, because you can't have that kind of attitude and fulfill that kind of achievement.

Latest Discussions