Enter the Vegetable

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thinking of returning to my vegetarian ways, Iā€™ve been gaining weight and having all sorts of joint pain since I stopped. I was trying to be what they call a Lacto-ovo vegetarian

Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.

But if I am to be entirely truthful, if I was in a good Chinese restaurant vegetarian went out the window, but luckily there were only 2 in my area then, now 3 and I rarely get to Chinatown.

I am debating if I should try to go full on Lacto-ovo again or just except my Chinese food weakness and just be a Flexitarian

Flexitarian ā€“ A plant-based diet with the occasional meat item on the menu. These folks do their best to limit meat intake as much as possible and they have an almost entirely plant-based diet. This is not technically considered a ā€œvegetarianā€ diet, but we commend the effort!

So far so good today as a Lacto-ovo vegitarian...but the day is not over yet

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some of the best vegetarian and vegan food is Chinese, I'm never out of our local asian supermarket.

Degree of vegness is entirely your choice, and a little slip is not the end of the world. I don't eat dairy or eggs, but I have been know to set aside that policy for a good naan bread if one without dairy is not available.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Some of the best vegetarian and vegan food is Chinese, I'm never out of our local asian supermarket.

True, but there are so many yummy meat dishes too.... and at home if my wife makes dumplings or Baozi..... I can kiss vegetarianism goodbye for that meal too. However after I have been on a plant based diet for awhile I do not eat anywhere near the amount of this stuff that I seem to be able to eat at the moment

Degree of vegness is entirely your choice, and a little slip is not the end of the world. I don't eat dairy or eggs, but I have been know to set aside that policy for a good naan bread if one without dairy is not available.

I am generally ok with little slips here and there, but of late (last year) I have been rather carnivorous and I do honestly feel my heath has taken a hit because of it. I have also noticed and yogurt seems to have a negative effect on me as well, or at least I feel better if I don't eat it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I sit here eating a whole wheat bagel with hummus...thinking of last nights gouging on Guō RĆ²u (similar to sweat and sour pork), but at least I had it with green beans...I have been, for at least the last year a see-foodarian as well.... but it is not agreeing with me so I shall go back and give this another try

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if it does not agree with you, leave it be!
I have about 60 dollars worth of girl scout cookies sitting in my freezer now.
A few years ago, they would have not stood a chance, now, more than 3 or four cookies, and I am sick!
So I don't.

The deal is, we need to eat less over all. In turn we can then afford to eat better quality. What that is is different for everybody though.
Eating meat for every meal, every day is a relatively new thing. Most people went meatless most of the time, safe a bit of bacon for flavoring etc, but in essence, you didn't have meat unless it was Sunday/Holiday!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have found that every person, depending on God knows what, eats differently. Maybe it's genetics, maybe it's habit, availability, knowledge or taste. Damned if I know. But I hope it involves good pizza.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did great yesterday with this...until I got home...my wife had made dumplings....... not beating myself up over this because they are delicious, but I am back at it today
Now I will be happiest when I hear from you XS.. "I cooked my wife and lovely family an awesome dinner. It was good for me on my extremo veggie plan.. and but they really enjoyed it too and did not even notice it was missing delicious tasty meat and fish" !!! :D
Jxxx

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Now I will be happiest when I hear from you XS.. "I cooked my wife and lovely family an awesome dinner. It was good for me on my extremo veggie plan.. and but they really enjoyed it too and did not even notice it was missing delicious tasty meat and fish" !!! :D
Jxxx

My wife would be ok with all veggie, my youngest would not do as well, my oldest would starve, his current 4 food groups are Bread, Beef, Chicken and fish :D

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just made mexican spiced stuffed baked aubergines topped with almond creme and it was delicious. Vegtastic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first things they said to my husband after his heart attack was that he should change his diet, no more fry ups, takeaways etc. he looked at them and said he eats properly we don't have any of that. They came back later after all the tests and said that his blood pressure and cholesterol levels were actually good so they said well it must be what he eats, implying he wasn't telling the truth about his diet, they came back again and said his weight is good and he seems very fit for his age. They asked him what he ate he told them, home made food mostly, fresh veggies and fruit, no factory made 'food' or takeaways. We eat fish, venison, chicken, pheasant, grouse, turkey and some beef, lamb and a little duck. Now nearly three months on they've told him he's diabetic which is what is mostly likely the cause of the heart disease, the diabetes is 99% certainly hereditary and he will have to change his diet, no fry ups, takeaways..........

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I hope he follows his diet, you may want to pick up a video "Forks over Knives" and give it a look another site with some pretty good vegitable recipes is Engine 2, but I believe he is full on Vegan

Several years ago a good friend of mine had a heat attack and in the hospital he started telling me how he was going to change his diet and quit smoking. When he returned to work he continued to tell everyone how things have changed. One night I caught him outside of our building smoking and then a few days later a pizza delivery guy showed up with a large pizza for him and he was right back smoking and eating horrible. 2 heat attacks and a surgically installed defibrillator later....he actually quit smoking... have not seen him in years, but then if he went back to his old habits again I doubt he is around anymore

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he follows his diet, you may want to pick up a video "Forks over Knives" and give it a look another site with some pretty good vegitable recipes is Engine 2, but I believe he is full on Vegan

Several years ago a good friend of mine had a heat attack and in the hospital he started telling me how he was going to change his diet and quit smoking. When he returned to work he continued to tell everyone how things have changed. One night I caught him outside of our building smoking and then a few days later a pizza delivery guy showed up with a large pizza for him and he was right back smoking and eating horrible. 2 heat attacks and a surgically installed defibrillator later....he actually quit smoking... have not seen him in years, but then if he went back to his old habits again I doubt he is around anymore

He's always as I have eaten 'properly', we eat very healthily, they just couldn't believe that he did eat like that. He'd had a heart attack so therefor must have been eating badly! It's quite annoying when they start to lecture you so then you point out that you eat exactly the way they say you should and we have done for 40 odd years. They've said the heart problems are caused by hereditary diabetes, there was little to nothing he could have done better, he doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, exercises and eats properly. sometimes, s*** just happens as a friend of ours put it! Still, he's survived it all which I guess he wouldn't have if he HAD smoked, drank and ate fry ups!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the first things they said to my husband after his heart attack was that he should change his diet, no more fry ups, takeaways etc. he looked at them and said he eats properly we don't have any of that. They came back later after all the tests and said that his blood pressure and cholesterol levels were actually good so they said well it must be what he eats, implying he wasn't telling the truth about his diet, they came back again and said his weight is good and he seems very fit for his age. They asked him what he ate he told them, home made food mostly, fresh veggies and fruit, no factory made 'food' or takeaways. We eat fish, venison, chicken, pheasant, grouse, turkey and some beef, lamb and a little duck. Now nearly three months on they've told him he's diabetic which is what is mostly likely the cause of the heart disease, the diabetes is 99% certainly hereditary and he will have to change his diet, no fry ups, takeaways..........

See, haven't we told you the UK medical system is not good!?!?! :)

My wife is from Korea and that is mostly what we eat, and have done so for over 35 years. I have had triple by-pass surgery and am diabetic. Some people are just prone to cholesterol buildup, and doctors I have talked to say they aren't sure why. That includes vegans. I have had prostate cancer, but that was apparently due to the all expense paid 4 year vacation I had in Vietnam. I have diabetes and the 4 year vacation probably had a lot to do with that as well, considering my diet. Keep him on his medication, and him (and you) on a good diet; don't overeat, and keep exercising. Then whatever comes, comes. He may just be predisposed for those problems. But medicine, diet and exercise will do a lot for anybody's longevity.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
p
He's always as I have eaten 'properly', we eat very healthily, they just couldn't believe that he did eat like that. He'd had a heart attack so therefor must have been eating badly! It's quite annoying when they start to lecture you so then you point out that you eat exactly the way they say you should and we have done for 40 odd years. They've said the heart problems are caused by hereditary diabetes, there was little to nothing he could have done better, he doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, exercises and eats properly. sometimes, s*** just happens as a friend of ours put it! Still, he's survived it all which I guess he wouldn't have if he HAD smoked, drank and ate fry ups!

That was likely my friends issue, he ate horrible. per his Doctor after the first heart attack, he was dead twice and they brought him back.

My family has a history of cardiac problems, which is why I say a cardiologist for years. Then one day a couple years ago my cardiologist was suggesting adding an additional medication to fight cholesterol and I was rather resistant and said I wanted to try diet change first. He said that was fine but he also added very few people, and based on his experience none, are ever able to change like that. It was that statement that got me to look at vegetable based diets and after a year I went back to his office and he kicked me out for being to healthy. I fell off that diet a little over a year ago and I can feel the changes in my health and mobility so now I am getting back on that plant heavy, no red meat, very little meat at all, diet. And after reading several studies about arthritis/joint inflammation and dairy, I am considering dropping dairy from my diet as well, but that will be really hard for me to do.

Doctors are very good at not listening when they are already decided what the truth is...whether or is truth or not does not matter much because they came up with it..oh and I'm married to one and related to a few more so I speak from experience :D.....I hope Mr Tez recovers fully and continues to do well

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, haven't we told you the UK medical system is not good!?!?! :)

My wife is from Korea and that is mostly what we eat, and have done so for over 35 years. I have had triple by-pass surgery and am diabetic. Some people are just prone to cholesterol buildup, and doctors I have talked to say they aren't sure why. That includes vegans. I have had prostate cancer, but that was apparently due to the all expense paid 4 year vacation I had in Vietnam. I have diabetes and the 4 year vacation probably had a lot to do with that as well, considering my diet. Keep him on his medication, and him (and you) on a good diet; don't overeat, and keep exercising. Then whatever comes, comes. He may just be predisposed for those problems. But medicine, diet and exercise will do a lot for anybody's longevity.

Ooh that's fighting talk! It's not that the NHS is no good it's that he was in the James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough, in the NE of England a place famous for the diet of it's inhabitants, such delicacies as fried Mars bars, fired pies and of course the Parmo. That last is a killer all on it's own. We have never tried it let along eaten it and we live over 30 miles away from 'Boro'.

You will love this.....

Latest Discussions