Why the young believe they know more than they do ...

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or, "Why you should go out and run the world while you still know everything!"

This is a response to a post made by a younger member of the forum, who accused me of stereotyping and being prejudicial. I thought it would be interesting to recount a small bit of a talk that I used to have annually with my Boy Scouts back when I was Scoutmaster. A group of 20 or 30 teenage boys contains pretty much the sum of human knowledge within them. Just ask them, they'll tell you! :)

All kidding aside, I have always felt that it's just as important for adults to realize why the young tend to spout nonsense with such assurance as it is for the young to realize that they actually know far less than they think they do. My experience from working with youth for 20 years was that it is a direct result of puberty. As teenagers grow from their early teens to their early twenties, they are attempting to transition from children controlled by their parents, to independent thinking adults. This is a difficult process that results in much emotion, a lot of it negative, in order to create separation and independence from their parents. They also are learning to think for themselves and assert their own ideas and views on the world. Unfortunately, they rarely have enough actual experience in life to know whether their ideas and views are reasonable. The fact that their ideas and concerns have been created by themselves rather than being dictated by those over them lends them more credence in their mind. They have part of themselves invested in these ideas and views, so they tend to defend them vigorously, even when it seems obviously wrong to others.

This being the case, I would always stress to the youth under me that it would serve them far better to listen to others and attempt to see their point of view rather than to attempt to defend their own. Other's point of view may be incorrect in the end, but the act of seeing it would stretch their own understanding of the world and enable them to make better decisions in the future. Understanding of others (and so themselves) is always the hardest thing for the young to grasp, in my opinion, and many people today never learn how. Therefore I always stressed that pushing for this understanding would expand their own knowledge of the world exponentially, and enable them to form views and opinions that are both valid and reasonable.

So in response the original post that started me on this tirade, I am neither stereotyping nor prejudiced, just experienced. This should have been obvious from that fact that I could tell the poster was relatively young without knowing a thing about him other than reading a few of his posts. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well said.
From a human development stand point, the human brain develops over a very long time and goes through stages. It's not really fully developed until after these "teen age" years.

Historically certain world leaders have always taken advantage of the youth and young adult exactly because of the traits you have mentioned.
When ever a potential world leader puts focus on young adults it should always be cause for concern and a double look.
But people seem to never learn from history.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's interesting that younger people think they know everything, but don't... according to older people. And older people think THEY know everything, but don't... according to younger people. In varying contexts, both are right and both are also wrong.

Youth brings an outlook that is not mired in the deep ruts, prejudice and bias that experience can create. But the risk is that you will repeat history because you will reinvent processes.

Experience brings with it a context that can help prevent you from making the same mistakes that have been made in the past. But the risk is that the ruts can become so deep that you will fail to recognize good ideas for what they are, and can fall into a habit of inflexibility and unwillingness to adapt.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair I've also encountered plenty of older folks who seem to think they know much more than they actually do.

This being the case, I would always stress to the youth under me that it would serve them far better to listen to others and attempt to see their point of view rather than to attempt to defend their own.

I think that's excellent advice for everybody, not just the young folks.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
pgsmith you said you were a scoutmaster than you should know that Boy Scouts can be a challenge, especially for scouts who hope to go far in the program, learn much, and attain a high rank. You point out that people who think they know it all in fact know very little and I would have to agree. The more you learn the more you find out how much you don't know and that's why experts often feel that they don't know much and that their base of knowledge is the same as everybody else's. Anyway, somebody who goes far in Boy Scouts is going to be exposed to all sorts of new stuff and is going to learn a lot and in doing so will find out how much they don't know. It is hard to be an Eagle Scout. There is all this stuff you've got to know and do and an Eagle Scout is not going to be a dummy. As it is, though, its the dummies who think they know it all and to be an Eagle Scout you have to be under the age of 18 when you get it so therefore, you can't be a know it all dummy to be an Eagle Scout even though you will be relatively young (under the age of 18.)

And adolescence is a completely natural and healthy process. The problem with today's world is that its viewed so negatively all too often. Growing up should be something to look forward to, not something to dread.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well said.
From a human development stand point, the human brain develops over a very long time and goes through stages. It's not really fully developed until after these "teen age" years.
Sometimes people are forced through circumstance to develop their brains earlier or at least to take on more adult roles earlier on in life. The brain is very malleable and can be made to adopt to various situations. I've known of young people who for whatever reason have run away from home and have survived for months, even years, on the streets. In the old days it wasn't uncommon for 16 year olds to be working full time, married, and to have children. Sadly since then we've gone backwards with the extended childhood and all.

Historically certain world leaders have always taken advantage of the youth and young adult exactly because of the traits you have mentioned.
When ever a potential world leader puts focus on young adults it should always be cause for concern and a double look.
True, very true. And very sad. One of the big mistakes young people make is to follow the mistakes of "older and wiser" people. Just because somebody is older and supposedly wiser doesn't mean they always have good ideas and it doesn't mean younger people should do them. Bad ideas are bad ideas, no matter who has them.

But people seem to never learn from history.

Sad but true as I pointed out earlier in the post.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's interesting that younger people think they know everything, but don't... according to older people. And older people think THEY know everything, but don't... according to younger people. In varying contexts, both are right and both are also wrong.
Not necessarily. I was 12 when I started training in the martial arts and I looked up to and admired my Sensei and I did not question his superior knowledge in the martial arts, otherwise I would be the Sensei and he would be the student. He was an older person of course and I did not have the mindset that he though he knew it all but didn't. He never came across to me as a know it all. A very knowledgeable person will know that they are sometimes wrong and its the know it alls who don't know much, no matter what their age.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair I've also encountered plenty of older folks who seem to think they know much more than they actually do.
Yes I've known people like that too. You will find know it alls among young people, old people, and everywhere in between. And you will find smart people with good ideas but who nonetheless know they still got a lot to learn in all such ranges as well

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
Mark Twain
Love it! :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kids.....know nothing
old people... know nothing
the age of people knowing anything is highly dependent on what age I am at the time
:D
Then again, the older we get the more we don't know.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ha. You guys are hilarious. Somebody admitting they don't know something??? Around here??? That's a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im good then Im not as old a PGSmith what are you like 100 and im not as young as Tez 29ish SO I have then best of both worlds so that pretty much says I really am always "write";)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
Mark Twain
That was Mark Train's experience, not everybody has the same experience as him.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha. You guys are hilarious. Somebody admitting they don't know something??? Around here??? That's a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q: How many martial artists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One hundred and one, one to change it and a hundred to say they could've done it better.