Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

Discussion in 'Japanese Martial Arts - General' started by Manwithquestions, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Spinedoc

Spinedoc Brown Belt

Ameri-Do-Te is the only martial art....

• Like Like x 1
  2. sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik Purple Belt

this video is for people who think Karate is weak:

• Like Like x 1
  3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Purple Belt

Dem axe kicks :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Funny thing is yes I know this is all comedy and a parody etc and I love enter the dojo I'm a big fan of it but the guy who plays master Ken is actually a kenpo black belt so is the guy who plays Todd his assistant. You can actually see in some videos there's a photo of ed Parker on their wall

5. marques

marques 3rd Black Belt

Think Lyoto Machida.

Anyway,
    - If you do self defence, what are you afraid of?;
    - If you do Aikido, you dance with long skirts and throw people trying to hug you;
    - If you do MMA, you’re a bloody violent person;
    and so on...
    - Ah, and wrestlers look gay in their suits and fighting. No one is immune from criticism .

I don’t think karate is exception. And I am careful when telling what do I do as well (except in these forum :))

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I disagree. Not in principle at all, I'm a Karate man and proud of it. But in the specifics of that video. I don't know anything about that competition except for one thing. If you tap that Karateka in the face he's a pussy. I don't mean land a good shot, I mean just touch him.

And why is it okay to kick to the face but punching is a no no? What up with that?

Normally, I'd be embarrassed for the guy, but God, I just want to fight him. A Karate man. Ha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Purple Belt

That's Andy Hug (RIP), absolute legend within Kyokushin and a renounced fighter. Is arguably one of the best kickboxers too, his tournament record for both karate and kickboxing is impressive. Not sure of the context of that particular fight, but yeah was odd his reaction to those, but perhaps were harder than they looked, not sure, especially if used to kickboxing. But not sure of the year.

Ah yeah and the no face punch thing is Kyokushin rules. I think the idea behind it is because multiple head punches are far more dangerous than kicks to the head, as kicks can generally just knock you out easier, whereas constant head punches again and again is potentially more damaging to the brain. And yeah, I guess kicks don't always knock out however hehe.

But yeah Sosai Oyama wanted to keep Kyokushin tournaments bare knuckle fighting, and bare knuckle constantly to the head he took out for obvious reasons.

I'm thankful in my Kyokushin training we didn't do head punches in our regular sparring sessions! XD

8. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Andy Hug could definitely take a punch to the head. His pro kickboxing record is testament to that. If it was illegal in that match, he was just trying to get a call IMO.

Kyokushin (actually Oyama dojo before he named it Kyokushin) had head punching. Too many guys were getting KOed by head punches and losing training time. Too many guys were breaking their hands. Too many guys were cutting their hands on opponents’ teeth. Shigeru Oyama (no relation to Mas Oyama) said that in an interview. He also stated they started throwing uppercuts at the chin and wrapping their hands in washcloths so the wouldn’t get cut by someone’s teeth :)

Oyama eliminated head punches but kept head kicks. The rationale was kicking the head took more skill, and it was easier to block head kicks than punches. KOing with a head punch was too easy; KOing with a head kick was significantly harder. Combine that with the injury rate and shortness of fights from head punching, and Oyama banned head punches.

I’m not saying any nor all of that is 100% logical; I’m just stating what I’ve read and heard.

And @Buka a karate man bruise on the inside, but these guys wouldn’t know that because they’re a bunch of Barry White lookin’ MFers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1