Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't read its history in England.

Careful there Mountie, using 'England' as a generic reference for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is tantamount to me calling you an American ;)

You can usually get away with 'UK', slightly less usually 'Britain' (unless you're talking to the Irish), but very rarely / almost never England unless specifically referring to the English (which definitely excludes the Scottish, Welsh and Irish).

Southern Ireland, well I'm woefully underqualified to comment except to state "use none of the above"...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember one of the Gracie’s (maybe Royce?) had printed a column in Black Belt magazine where he publically challenged Mike Tyson to a match. He was very arrogant in how he presented it. This was in the mid-late 1990s. It was a real turn-off for me, soured me to the very notion of studying with them.
That was nothing more than publicity. I’m quite sure Gracie highly doubted Tyson knew of or payed attention to Black Belt Magazine and the like.

He knew Tyson would never accept. Why would he get in the cage for about $50k or whatever they were paying the tournament winners back then, when he was paid around $22 million to fight McNeeley? He didn’t have the money to pay Tyson’s “going rate” and he knew there’d be no way Tyson would risk his career for Gracie and Gracie money.

If Gracie really wanted to fight Tyson, all he’d have to do was go hang out at a bar and insult him a bit. Several others were stupid enough to do just that.

Gracie isn’t stupid. Challenging Tyson was part of the marketing machine. He knew there was no way Tyson would get in the cage. But if he did, I’m pretty sure Tyson in his prime would’ve hurt him pretty good. Tyson didn’t exactly play by the rules. As great of a boxer as he was back then, I’d bet a ton of money that he was an even better street fighter.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was nothing more than publicity. I’m quite sure Gracie highly doubted Tyson knew of or payed attention to Black Belt Magazine and the like.

He knew Tyson would never accept. Why would he get in the cage for about $50k or whatever they were paying the tournament winners back then, when he was paid around $22 million to fight McNeeley? He didn’t have the money to pay Tyson’s “going rate” and he knew there’d be no way Tyson would risk his career for Gracie and Gracie money.

If Gracie really wanted to fight Tyson, all he’d have to do was go hang out at a bar and insult him a bit. Several others were stupid enough to do just that.

Gracie isn’t stupid. Challenging Tyson was part of the marketing machine. He knew there was no way Tyson would get in the cage. But if he did, I’m pretty sure Tyson in his prime would’ve hurt him pretty good. Tyson didn’t exactly play by the rules. As great of a boxer as he was back then, I’d bet a ton of money that he was an even better street fighter.
Oh I figured as much. And that didn’t help his image in my eyes.

Mountie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Noted. Although you may want to tell the website. See bottom right.

And I'll add an emoticon so you know I'm having fun with this. ;)

England.PNG

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Careful there Mountie, using 'England' as a generic reference for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is tantamount to me calling you an American ;)

You can usually get away with 'UK', slightly less usually 'Britain' (unless you're talking to the Irish), but very rarely / almost never England unless specifically referring to the English (which definitely excludes the Scottish, Welsh and Irish).

Southern Ireland, well I'm woefully underqualified to comment except to state "use none of the above"...
Pommie land.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope :D, I am English and live in England, you were talking about the history of karate and that would be in the UK because they stopped throwing cabers at each other long enough in Scotland to learn karate as well. Even the Welsh, Cornish and Manx did, Northern Ireland we'll leave out because they were fighting each other for real. The only place they weren't keen on karate was Lancashire, that's because they have their own martial art Ecky Thump. Ecky-Thump

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually like that BJJ practitioners went around the world and challenged other styles. It's how it learned and grew so well while martial arts like karate stagnated.

Karate masters used to do the same thing, travelling around Asia and learning different martial arts to incorporate into their style.

I have mentioned the culture of the open mat being instrumental in the progression of martial arts.

Not just the mix of cultures. But the mindset that someone on holiday can just roll in and murder the whole club.

And make that a positive experience.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pommie land.

Be careful, my daughter ( with husband) is coming out shortly for a few months, Sydney this time, she will hunt you down and horsewhip you! ( artificial material whip though as they won't allow wood and other natural substances through the customs, even the horse poo isn't allowed off the plane)
She did enjoy the Melbourne Cup even though their horse didn't run after all the trouble getting there.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only place they weren't keen on karate was Lancashire, that's because they have their own martial art Ecky Thump

The only art that comes close to Ameri-Do-Te

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Be careful, my daughter ( with husband) is coming out shortly for a few months, Sydney this time, she will hunt you down and horsewhip you! ( artificial material whip though as they won't allow wood and other natural substances through the customs, even the horse poo isn't allowed off the plane)
She did enjoy the Melbourne Cup even though their horse didn't run after all the trouble getting there.

Bummer for the Melbourne cup. But while she is over here she could pick up a proper Australian stock whip pretty cheap. And just hunt me down with that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer for the Melbourne cup. But while she is over here she could pick up a proper Australian stock whip pretty cheap. And just hunt me down with that.

It was the first time she'd been, as you know her husband was over the year before that for the Cup. Don't know about this year as Emirates aren't going to sponsor it by all accounts.
While they will be working I'm sure they are going to find time for looking around perhaps even make it to the Commonwealth Games which would be cool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was the first time she'd been, as you know her husband was over the year before that for the Cup. Don't know about this year as Emirates aren't going to sponsor it by all accounts.
While they will be working I'm sure they are going to find time for looking around perhaps even make it to the Commonwealth Games which would be cool.

Competing?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly not, but she does MMA as well ride so who knows what she'll end up doing, if you got dangerous things to do she'll be there.

Actually I thought some sort of equestrian in the Commonwealth games.

In a MMA vein Robert Whittaker is competing for Australia in wrestling.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ecky-Thump rules, girl!

Latest Discussions