Why is the sky so different in these two shots?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something I haven't been able to figure out. Why does the sky look so different with the use of an outdoor fill flash? These were taken with my Powershot...not with a DSLR.

The top photo -- with the pale blue-gray sky -- was taken with no flash.

The bottom photo -- with the deep blue sky -- was taken with the flash.

The photos are SOC, taken 10 seconds apart in the early morning.

Attachments

• $Morning Snow 004.jpg
    $Morning Snow 004.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 158
  • $Morning Snow 005.jpg
    $Morning Snow 005.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 166

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My guess is because maybe the flash causes more light to bounce off the objects closer(which causes them to illuminate more), while blocking light from objects further away. So the light reflecting off the air from the sun isn't as present in the shot.

I don't know lol. :confused:

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Second shot is underexposed compared to the first shot. Take a look at the EXIF data, you'll probably see the second one probably has a lower ISO or lower shutter speed (or both).

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Second shot is underexposed compared to the first shot. Take a look at the EXIF data, you'll probably see the second one probably has a lower ISO or lower shutter speed (or both).

That's exactly it! There's a marginal difference in ISO...big difference in shutter speed. Top photo is 1/8 sec , bottom photo is 1/60 sec, both F2.8 0EV.

Thank you very much :asian:

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Glad to help, although I did get the shutter speeds switched. I should have said the second one has a lower ISO or higher shutter speed (or both) to get the lower exposure.

Exposing for a light sky and dark subject can be tough!

Latest Discussions