why does rush limbaugh still have a job?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've been curious about this for a while. how did he maintain any sort of credibility with his fans after it became public that he was addicted to oxycontin? i mean the stuff is essentially heroine. it just seems inconsistent for a far-right, tough on crime, pro-drug war media figure to still be singing the same tune after that came out.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've been curious about this for a while. how did he maintain any sort of credibility with his fans after it became public that he was addicted to oxycontin? i mean the stuff is essentially heroine. it just seems inconsistent for a far-right, tough on crime, pro-drug war media figure to still be singing the same tune after that came out.

jf

Because the public doesn't hold their heroes accountable for anything anymore? Just a guess.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny thing,

His dad and brother etc. are hard core democrats. Being from the Jackson/Cape Girardeau area it is amazing how ones family can think a guy is of "No account" and still make it so far.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
dude, i just noticed your avatar. that's awesome.

jf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score

People have a tendency to overlook faults in people they like. And someone who's making a lot of money and enjoying his life will take full advantage of the fact.

Limbaugh is a very popular figure with lots of influence among the people who own the media business and create the images. So much so that Clear Channel is giving him a raise worth tens of millions even while their company is sinking. He's got a large, loyal audience who enjoy his product and believe he can do no wrong. That much market power can buy you a lot of forgiveness.

And before the usual suspects chime in with "What about fill in the blank" or "Clinton got a blowjob" or "But it wasn't an illegal drug" this isn't a Left or Right thing. It's a human tendency to judge the rich and powerful by a gentler standard than the little people. Limbaugh is incredibly rich and very, very powerful. So he gets a pass where a smaller fish would not.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or how about Rush Limbaugh obviously has created a huge niche for himself much like Howard Stern, and people will follow him wherever he goes.. more then 20 million people a week, and some estimates at over 30 million... thats such a huge percentage of the american population its not even funny....for 1 person to have the attention of on a consistent basis... how many people does the president of the United States have on a consistent basis?

The advertisement dollars he brings in is the lifeblood of clearchannel, they know if they lose him they are done. Period, the other hundreds, or thousands of layoffs and paycuts in their company is to non essential employees..The man is reaping his rewards for his abilities, foresight, and timing, I thought that was the American way? The man is not a politician, he does not run our government, he is not a public employee, and we have a man as president of the United States that freely admits to drug use in his past. We have a convicted felon preparing to leave prison and most likely return to play in the NFL for millions soon, who actually killed and tortured animals... We have Pro Athletes making millions who have abused steroids, gotten caught, had small slaps on the wrist and continue to get paid.. We have members of all levels of goverment who are continously getting caught with hands in the cookie jars who are allowed to continue on in their jobs of supposedly serving the American Public...
So how is surprising it in any way, that an entertainer, who had an abuse problem that the majority of people in the United States have no understanding of anyways, is still making money in private industry because he has a huge audience?

I find it much more surprising that American Public votes for some of the people that it does, given the facts about those people...
Hell... wasn't it Polanski who molested a Child, and still won an oscar, and has millions of people going to watch his movies, while he is living in France to avoid the lawful punishment for his horrendous crime?

I think we have alot of people who have their priorities out of wack... I mean obviously abusing oxycontin and injuring noone is much more dastardly then raping a 13 year old and winning the acadamy award while evading justice in another country....YA

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

jf
Because people listen to him, meaning they listen to the advertisements and buy the products, leading to advertisers buying air time for lots of money...

I find Rush amusing, at times, and annoying at other times. I don't always agree with him, and I think some of his interpretation of "conservatism" is kind of simplistic. And he's definitely got enough ego for 8 or 9 of us... What usually happens is I listen to him for a while, then he says something stupid or pisses me off, and I change to something else...

(I miss the satellite radio I had in my work car until recently... )

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never listened to Rush Limbaugh, but I've heard reports about him. All I know about him is that he is highly conservative and his Michael J Fox comments were distasteful.

Oxycontin addiction is prevalent right now. People are prescribed it for pain and end up addicted. It's not unusual. Rush obviously has some use to Clearchannel and their advertisers, so I see nothing wrong with his ongoing presence and pay increase. I do see something wrng, however with Ted Kennedy leaving a young woman dead at the bottom of a river, after driving drunk and then not reporting it until he had sobered up. The guy remains a senator for thirty years. If Teddy can do this and remain an alcoholic, while being the darling of the left, I' m sure Rush can take Oxycontin and be the darling of the right.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

jf

Because conservatives know that people aren't perfect and that simply because one's behavior doesn't always line up with one's standards doesn't mean the person has no credibility? I mean, I know it seems like a concept that people of certain political persuasions are incapable of understanding, but it seems fairly easy to grasp to me.

But hey, we get to see people dragged through the mud for moral failings every day on the news, our little homage to the Roman arena, I suppose.

The real question is why are any Air America stations still broadcasting?

Pax,

Chris

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talent on loan from God may have something to do with it, if you are so inclined.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you read his first book, very near the front he makes PERFECTLY CLEAR that his program is for entertainment purposes. Some people are entertained by his style, others are not.

There ya go.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't worry, once it's illegal to say inflammatory things he will be locked in a prison someplace.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry, once it's illegal to say inflammatory things he will be locked in a prison someplace.

Don't go there, alright? We just retired a President and VP who said that failing to support them was treason and terrorism. Political opponents - not terrorists - were investigated, had the IRS sicced on them, got wiretapped, were denied the right to travel freely and a number of other things. So far the current Administration is moving more towards traditional American values. They may not be who you wanted in the White House. They have angered their supporters by not going far enough in reversing the excesses of their predecessors. But anyone with even the most tenuous connection to reality has to admit they are a departure from the totalitarian trajectory we had been subjected to.

Some were glad to see M&Ms (Muslims and Mexicans) detained without trial, kidnapped, disappeared, tortured and killed in custody and are now panicking at the thought that they might be subject to the same treatment. To those people I can only say "Suck it you sorry hypocritical bastards. You deserve whatever happens to you." It's not going to happen, no matter how much the Whining Wingnuts try to make you pee yourselves in fear. But it would serve you right if it did. A bully who loves to dish it out but cries like a baby when he has to take it is among the most contemptible things on Earth.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the record and to advocate for Da Debol ... Obama won't be repealing the Patriot act and intends to keep wire taps in place.

Just sayin'.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the record and to advocate for Da Debol ... Obama won't be repealing the Patriot act and intends to keep wire taps in place.

Just sayin'.

And that is why I will support whoever runs against him in 2012. He was my third choice in the last election. Not a bad third choice but not up there with one and two.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the subject of Rush Limbaugh, he is predominantly on the AM band.

It is notoriously difficult to turn a profit on AM radio. AM stations require a lot more real estate and a lot higher maintenance costs for lower audio quality and lower listenership.

The vast majority of AM stations downlink most/all of their content off satellite. If a program director isn't happy with the way the content does in the market, s/he will switch to different content. When I worked for one of Rush Limbaugh's affiliate stations in the 1990s, his ratings were very strong, yet management wasn't opposed to replacing him with a different show, if they thought another show would do better in the market.

It all comes down to ad revenue. The one that can bring in the most money is going to be the most desired.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't go there, alright? We just retired a President and VP who said that failing to support them was treason and terrorism.
Show me where Bush or Cheney used the words treason about dissenters. If what you say is correct, all at MSNBC, CNN, Headline News and all at the network news outlets would have been persecuted along with the Hollywood elite. Last I saw, Sean Penn was still living the goodlife cohorting with America haters. It looks like he made it through the Bush years happily....Cheney is Darth Vader. Bush is Emperor Palpatine, yawn, yawn.

Latest Discussions