Why do you study?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) The reason you first signed up
I was very young when I first signed up and I thought it would be "cool" to know karate. I soon realized whether it was "cool" or not it was fun, and very rewarding.

2) The reason you are training today
I am training today because martial arts has improved my way of life so much. I never noticed it until I had quit. Durring the time I was not actively taking a martial arts class I was searching for something to do, something that team sports, school, or anything else could satify.

3) The reason you think you will continue
I will continue because of the personal satisfaction gained, but more because it is my goal in life to teach karate. I want to help others find what I have found: a new way of life that gives satisfaction and focus.

-Josh-

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of the other black belts in our organization started just for something to do or they were curious about Tae Kwon Do.
My home life was pretty bad: I was the middle child, the one nobody really paid any attention to.
In school, girls wouldn't give me the time of day, and other guys thought I was the weird one. Didn't have very many friends. Never dated in junior high or high school. Self esteem was rock bottom.
Tae Kwon Do was the first activity I did that I was good at and people respected me. Other people practiced because they enjoyed it. I practiced Tae Kwon Do because I literally had to-it sustained my life. I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't started practicing. Can you say Columbine?

OP
L

Littledragon

MisterMike said:
This is open to anyone. Feel free to put:

1) The reason you first signed up
2) The reason you are training today
3) The reason you think you will continue

For the teachers,

4) The reason you started teaching
5) The reason you teach today
6) The reason you think you will continue

They may be the same or all different reasons but if you'd like to share, then thank you.

I'll start:

1) Lack of security. (was 15)
2) Have found deeper meaning in training
3) To stay on the Path and of course the health benefits

4) To further my own understanding
5) same as 4) but with the addition of passing the teachings on to my students. Sort of my "service" to society.
6) same as 5)
1) The reason I first started when I was 6 years old was because of the Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. I tried almost every sport and stopped and I did not like any of them but when I started Tae kwon do my passion and love was for martial arts.
2) The reason I am training today because martial arts is my passion, it is the one thing in life I feel determined to do. I am still training today to understand as many styles of martial arts and trully understand martial arts in a spiritual aspect as well as for a self defense. I also train to compete I want to start competing in mixed martial arts and vale tudo events.
3) The reason I KNOW I will continue is because I want to make a career out of martial arts. I want to be a world champion and write books and videos for self defense, I also want to open up a school but most important share my knoweldge through the movies and film and try to re revolutionize the martial arts presumtion in a time of everything is just wires and special effects.
4) I am also a teacher even though I am 16 in Tae Kwon Do, I teach to help my master out because he is so busy with international and national competitions but also to be a positive role model to younger kids that look up to me as well as any other adult or peer my age. To share my knoweldge of martial arts with them that is forever growing.
5) The reason I teach today is to spread my knowledge to other kids.
6) I will continue teaching because in a simple sentence, that is my passion.

Tarek ;)

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

1) i wanted to learn how to defend myself and build my self esteem

2) i love to spar and learn new forms

3) there so much to learn and i can't wait to learn it

1) for the joy of the student, nothing warms your heart like hearing a young student saying "your a good teacher"
2) i love to talk to people and interact, to lend helpful knowledge when needed

3) for all the people i will meet some day.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
3) The reason I KNOW I will continue is because I want to make a career out of martial arts. I want to be a world champion and write books and videos for self defense, I also want to open up a school but most important share my knoweldge through the movies and film and try to re revolutionize the martial arts presumtion in a time of everything is just wires and special effects.

Tarek ;)
Very ambitious! I hope you succeed. KT

Latest Discussions