This is open to anyone. Feel free to put:

1) The reason you first signed up
2) The reason you are training today
3) The reason you think you will continue

For the teachers,

4) The reason you started teaching
5) The reason you teach today
6) The reason you think you will continue

They may be the same or all different reasons but if you'd like to share, then thank you.

I'll start:

1) Lack of security. (was 15)
2) Have found deeper meaning in training
3) To stay on the Path and of course the health benefits

4) To further my own understanding
5) same as 4) but with the addition of passing the teachings on to my students. Sort of my "service" to society.
6) same as 5)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

For the teachers,

!) I signed up for exercise, my daughter got me to do it, actually she harangued me to do it..
2) I am training for exercise, for goals, for fun
3) I will continue for exercise, for fun, to teach
4) I have had off and on teaching jobs, hope to have a full time women's class soon. I want to teach to give them the same joy TKD has given me.
5) NA
6) I think I have reached my apex, if not long ago, :( at 54, just can't feature training for 3rd dan breaks let alone doing them. So I will exercise, have fun and teach! Do what I can, that's all I can do.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Did we do something like this recently? I know I've been on and off here, but I could have sworn I recently posted something about why I started. Well, I guess there's enough here to be different.

(1) I started taking classes because I wanted to learn tai chi. It was done later, after learning some of the kung fu forms that was the primary style of the class, but I was mainly in it for tai chi.

(2) I'm not really training that much right now because I'm too busy trying to finish my PhD research so I can graduate. I try to do some now and then, mostly tai chi, but sometimes refreshers on the basic kung fu forms we learned. It's usually good exercise and the tai chi in particular helps me relax.

(3) I'll probably continue with the tai chi at least because I like it. I was interested in it for a while before I started learning for real because of the reported health benefits, but after finding out about the martial aspects I became more interested in knowing about that, too. I'm glad our teacher knew about these and didn't teach it as just exercise for health. The practice is good and I enjoy reading and learning about more of the deeper level of it even if I may never be able to get anywhere near acheiving those levels. Some of the higher level kung fu stuff I learned is already slipping, but I might try to at least keep the basic forms in memory for when I want some harder exercise.

Since I don't teach, the last three don't apply to me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dronak said:
Did we do something like this recently?
We've had several threads like this before in this forum.

I got into it for self-defense and to a lesser extent exercise, but now I do it for the enjoyment. I don't expect to need it for self-defense, though it's good knowing I'm reasonably well prepared if I do.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My best friend started this "karate" thing, and I thought it looked like fun.

Studying the art(s) has remained fun and it gives me challenges to overcome.

Addiction, friendship, family, personal challenge.

Required to for belt advancement.

There is nothing better than watching a student "get it" because of some tip that you showed them.

Pass on the art, and to repay my instructors for all of their hard work with me.

Lamont

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started because my father was a instrctor, stay in for the values that was tought to me, keep teaching for the satifaction of giving back that was so greatly given to me.... God Bless America

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started, because I wanted to learn self defense. That's not my main reason now (eventhough I think I can handle a self defense situation if I had to). I'm still training for the mental side of MA now. I still have so much to learn both physically and mentally.

I started teaching, because it's required. I like to see someone's face light up when they finally get something right. Specailly the little ones. They get all excited because, at first, they thought they couldn't do that technique. I will keep teaching as long as I'm allowed to (or branch out on my own), because MA is so fullfilling.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1. My mom and I first signed up for Aikido to learn how to defend ourselves from my brother (long story but he's not normal) and we were told it would be a good way to control him without necessarily hurting him.

2. Partly for the same reason as #1. We've haven't had a "incident" for a couple of years (before that he went berserk several times and we used Aikido all 3 times to successfully get him down and control him) but we continue to train in case something does happen again. But a bigger reason why we still train, is that we've come to really just love the art itself!

3. My mom is going to turn 54 this year and she has a hard time with aches and pains and occasional knee problems but she hopes to continue to train unless something happens so she can't do it anymore. As I previously stated, I LOVE Aikido and I can't get over how complex it is! The more I do it the more I find out how much I DON'T know! It's by far the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life but it's also a lot of fun and the guys in my class are great! I really hope I can do it for the rest of my life. :asian:

Robyn
nature-smiley-009.gif
link.gif
078a.gif

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

1. I love sports and while growing up, I had always wanted to take karate but didn't have a chance. However, the motivation that started me taking it up was when I was attacked. I trained for purely physical reasons.

2. The reason I'm training currently is because I am beginning the internal/spiritual journey.

3. I will continue because I love it. There is never a dull moment and always something new to learn, a new perspective.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Brother was in MAs and parents thought it was an okay idea, I thought I would learn chop-saki like the movies.

2) I love the culture and I find it interesting. I also need the excercise.

3) Addiction, Passion, Fun, ect.

OP
R

ronnie_au

1) I started cause I thought it would be a cool way to get into shape.

2) There are so many challanges to overcome. It is an abosolute blast. I'll be so tired after work I can hardly keep my eyes open and I'll go to class anyways and I always seem to have energy. I've also made some great friends which I like to see after work.

3) I plan to stick with it for a long time because of many of the reasons listed in part 2. I'm only 21 so I have many good kicking years left. Also, it should help keep me in shape.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started because I thought martial arts were cool. I was watching every Bruce lee and what ever bad Kungfu movie that HBO or Showtime would play in the late seventies and early eighties. There was just no other choice for my life! I also mistakenly thought it would attracked the ladies.
I train today because I still secretly want to be a kungfu master someday, and I don't believe in dieting so Ma is what keeps the pounds off, I weigh 230 but could easily hit 250 if I stopped the martial arts. I plan to get back down to 200 sooner or later. I actualy feel better about myself when I train and I enjoy feeling that edge.
I suppose I will always train; because, I don't see any reason to stop.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ever since I was a youngster, I've always wanted to study the martial arts. Unfortunately, I never found or made the time to do so. My daughter began studying the MAs when she was 7, and after a few years of taking her to the dojang and watching her train, I decided to take the inititive and finally give it a shot and sign up myself. I haven't looked back since. It's one of the best choices I think I've made in my life.

It's the best excercise I can get now. I hope to continue as long as my old bones hold out. Me and my daughter, my training partner, have earned BB rank, and we would like to continue to the next level.

I truly enjoy the study of the arts. It's fun! After a long day at the job it's good to go into the dojang, train for one or two hours, work up a good sweat, and release all of the day's stresses. Competing in tournaments is also a blast.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do I practice Tae Kwon Do? Might as well ask me why I breathe, eat, and drink. I have to to live.

Why do I teach? Because I have all this enormous talent that must be passed on to a future generation.:)
Actually, see above.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

1) To fight off nap attacks I attributed to inactivity.
2) It worked.
3) I enjoy it, and the people.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

For the teachers,

1. felt drawn to it, don't remember exactly the motivation.
2. it is really part of my daily life. I know the philosophical "self defenes/personal growth stuff" but it is not that grand when I am doing it. It is just part of the routine. It has gone past the logical explanation to a part of my healthy routines (in contrast to my unhealthy routines...)
3. Keeps me in contact with people I respect, fitness, self defense....
4. Teaching is rewarding, to all the rest.

OP
M

marshallbd

MisterMike said:

3) The reason you think you will continue on the Path and of course the health benefits
1. Got mugged when I was younger and decided I didn't want to be unprepared again.

2. Peace of mind, enjoyment, stress relief, excersize

3. See answer number 2

:asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

My son told me I'd never be able to do it, knowing full well that I could.

My instructor, my friends who support and encourage me (and I them), and I love it.

See #2.

For the teachers,

In idealistic terms - that's what it's about - helping one another along the journey.
In realistic terms - I love it and the kids I teach.

I love it and the kids I teach.

6) The reason you (think) KNOW you will continue
I love it and the kids I teach. Also, I wanted to be a teacher from the first punch and kick I was asked to throw. All I ever wanted out of ma - and then found out there was so much more: self esteem, not being a victim anymore, and -- I CAN do it. KT:samurai:

OP
E

elcajon555

I have always been interested in the martial arts and wanted to train for many years before I did. I joined when I was 16 I am now 23. I love the art, but what keeps me there is my instructor and my fellow black belts, we are really close and I like being around them

Latest Discussions