Why do you like fighting?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can always try it with your training partner and draw your own conclusion.

I think if it's hands only, then uppercuts to the solar plexus would land on the easier side. Hooks to the body. And then comes the feints. Not to mention that this restricts the hands together, slowing down the returns and counters significantly.

If there were kicks, then this would be very bad news.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if it's hands only, then uppercuts to the solar plexus would land on the easier side. Hooks to the body. And then comes the feints. Not to mention that this restricts the hands together, slowing down the returns and counters significantly.

If there were kicks, then this would be very bad news.

getting head injuries, ...
The "rhino guard" can only be used to "protect your head". If you don't get head injury, your chance to survive from a fight can be increased.

Your opponent has 2 hands. You also have 2 hands. Now you have combined 2 hands into 1 to enforce the structure of your rhino guard. When your opponent's hands are not punching at your head, his head will be exposed to your "rhino guard - big fist".

There are many advantage to use the "rhino guard".

1. Your hands are away from your own body but close to your opponent's head. This is what I will call, "To fight in your opponent's territory and not to fight in your own territory".
2. You don't give your opponent enough space to generate speed/power for his punch. You squeeze his space.
3. You can interrupt your opponent's punch during the initial state while the power is still weak and speed is still slow,
4. If you are a good wrestler, you can use it to "separate your opponent's arms away from his head" (since your opponent's punch can only come from both sides of your "rhino guard").
5. It can help you to obtain the "arm wrap head lock", or "double over hooks".
6. It can help you to change a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP.
7. ...

Last edited:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anything that causes dopamine release can be addictive. I don't think I've met anyone addicted to combat dopamine release, but it seems likely they exist.
Dopamine is related to pleasure among other things that is correct to say?? Do you think it is possible dopamine to get released when fighting? and why might this be so if by our ethical, moral and societal standards, fighting is apparently quite the opposite to pleasurable? Thank you!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Adrenaline rush....release of dopamine. It's a weird yearning to legally hit someone while getting hit back.
Can I ask you some thing else please? You use the word weird, can you explain for me in what way it is weird? thank you

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually the higher the risk, the more reward that you will get. When your opponent tries to knock you down and you are still standing, that kind of "reward feeling" can make you smile in your dreams for many night. You just can't get this kind of feeling through light contact sparring. Even money won't be able to buy you this kind of "excitement".

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually the higher the risk, the more reward that you will get. When your opponent tries to knock you down and you are still standing, that kind of "reward feeling" can make you smile in your dreams for many night. You just can't get this kind of feeling through light contact sparring. Even money won't be able to buy you this kind of "excitement".
Risk yes, some thing about that is intuitively true.. is riskier out side than in training place correct? is it legitimate fighting out side then?? is morally unsanctionable you would say to do this for excitement?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dopamine is related to pleasure among other things that is correct to say?? Do you think it is possible dopamine to get released when fighting? and why might this be so if by our ethical, moral and societal standards, fighting is apparently quite the opposite to pleasurable? Thank you!
Dopamine is part of the chemical dump that happens in the fight or flight response. My memory is failing me on this, but its primary function in this case may be to reduce felt pain. Someone with a better memory (or deeper education on it) can probably correct or expand on that. The dopamine release is probably why some people react pleasurably. And different people will release different combinations/amounts of the catecholamines (including dopamine, adrenaline, etc.). They will also respond to them differently, and will have different rates of re-uptake. I remember listening to some information on that not too long ago, perhaps in one of the Great Courses, and there's some evidence that both addictive people and depressive people have predictable dopamine-related differences from the general population.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect this is something similar to the "adrenaline junkies" who like dangerous sports. I've enjoyed dangerous sports (loved skiing and rock climbing), but apparently never got the rush those folks get. Maybe that's why I don't see the same enjoyment others do in heavy sparring and competition. I've never really been into individual competition in anything. For me, the joy of competition was always the team. I really wanted to win, but with a team.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The "rhino guard" can only be used to "protect your head". If you don't get head injury, your chance to survive from a fight can be increased.

Your opponent has 2 hands. You also have 2 hands. Now you have combined 2 hands into 1 to enforce the structure of your rhino guard. When your opponent's hands are not punching at your head, his head will be exposed to your "rhino guard - big fist".

There are many advantage to use the "rhino guard".

1. Your hands are away from your own body but close to your opponent's head. This is what I will call, "To fight in your opponent's territory and not to fight in your own territory".
2. You don't give your opponent enough space to generate speed/power for his punch. You squeeze his space.
3. You can interrupt your opponent's punch during the initial state while the power is still weak and speed is still slow,
4. If you are a good wrestler, you can use it to "separate your opponent's arms away from his head" (since your opponent's punch can only come from both sides of your "rhino guard").
5. It can help you to obtain the "arm wrap head lock", or "double over hooks".
6. It can help you to change a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP.
7. ...

This may fall into the category of "trickery" that may work vs. equally trained opponents once in a while/by surprise and therefore, should be used sparingly. Like the Superman punch or this one:

I can also see this working for the grappler more and more so in tight, confined space (like an elevator). But if there's decent amount of space, I'm going to use a lot of footwork and also start kick that lead leg.

It's a pretty cool technique. I'm all for learning new stuff to surprise the Purists.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask you some thing else please? You use the word weird, can you explain for me in what way it is weird? thank you

Because in general, it is out of the norm to enjoy punching each other in the face (up to knocking them out) as a form of sport in current society.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Risk yes, some thing about that is intuitively true.. is riskier out side than in training place correct? is it legitimate fighting out side then?? is morally unsanctionable you would say to do this for excitement?

If society allows it one day, I would be in favor of this. But right now...no...because you'll go to jail, get sued, spend lots of money on legal defense, probably lose, get a felony record, may go to prison, lose your career, probably won't be hired in a high paying career again, etc.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because in general, it is out of the norm to enjoy punching each other in the face (up to knocking them out) as a form of sport in current society.
would it be weird if it were a form of gaining experience of fighting?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
would it be weird if it were a form of gaining experience of fighting?

Yes and no. To a person who doesn't fight nor understand what it entails, you can probably say this to them and they'd buy it and not think that you're weird.

But to those who understands, especially fighters, they'd know that you're getting a "weird" rush/high off of hitting people in the face (and from getting hit back in the face also).

Although gaining experience is also apart of all of this. Like you can gain experience as a Martial Artist by getting great at doing kata only, but that doesn't necessarily make someone a competent fighter or even a fighter at all. Fighting for sport is literally trying to kill someone with regulated strikes and/or submission, and stopping short of killing them once they get KO'ed or the Ref stops it. And in UFC 1-4, there was nothing that would cause disqualification. You literally could do anything. This is definitely not normal, especially in today's society. You have to have a certain propensity for controlled violence in order to enjoy this as a sport.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dopamine is part of the chemical dump that happens in the fight or flight response. My memory is failing me on this, but its primary function in this case may be to reduce felt pain. Someone with a better memory (or deeper education on it) can probably correct or expand on that. The dopamine release is probably why some people react pleasurably. And different people will release different combinations/amounts of the catecholamines (including dopamine, adrenaline, etc.). They will also respond to them differently, and will have different rates of re-uptake. I remember listening to some information on that not too long ago, perhaps in one of the Great Courses, and there's some evidence that both addictive people and depressive people have predictable dopamine-related differences from the general population.
I'm commenting now as a reminder to myself to leave an in depth response once I get off work. Unfortunately, I saw this right as my lunch break is ending.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, the risk that you will take in the street fight is "no fun". It's no fun if you lose. It's also no fun if you win - jail time, lawyer fee, medical expense to your opponent, ...

There are 3 major reason to train MA.

1. fighting.
2. health.
3. fun.

Of course you can add self-cultivation, inner peace, new world order, ... into it if you wish. The "fun" is a big part of it.

- You can have fun for what you can do on your opponent.
- You can also have fun for what your opponent can't do on you.

You can have fun through "sport".

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Our ethical standards are manufactured though. And we are basically gorillas. We are still set up to fight for girls and compete for rescourses.

There is a mental element where if you are winning a fight you are psychologically helped along and if you are loosing you are psycologically hindered. And that is all different sets of chemical release.