Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

As I look at the question posed in this particular discussion and also the responses being made it is interesting and only obvious that no one person will impact Kenpo more than another... they will just impact it in a different way.

We, as students, looking at these individuals will respond according to what benefits we are seeking and if one individual is meeting them or not.

As for my vote, I voted for Mr. Planas because he is my instructor and his method of training is the training I desire.

There are so many great Kenpo instructors out there contributing, lets celebrate them all.

Good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA
UPK Pittsburgh

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Marcus Buonfiglio
I believe that Michael Pick will impact Kenpo the most in the next 10 years and here is why. Unless I am mistaken he currently has the largest student base. There are 1500 students and growing just in his Kenpo Combatives Program with the military. This is non inclusive of the UKF's student base. The feed back from the combat arena continues to refine his understanding of application and the combat filter that he sees Kenpo through necessitates eliminating theory and building on principal. His understanding of blade application is without peer in the world of Kenpo. He neither perpetuates nor incorporates other systems into his Kenpo and does not cross train. He does however have a very good understanding of the other systems and the principles that they perpetuate. A necessity in understand how to best defeat them is to know what you are up against. Because of the successes of his program with U.S. Army Special Forces he has come to the attention of other branches of the military. His goal is to have Kenpo be the Combative Art for all of our fighting forces. Not only will this have impact on Kenpo in general but will bring world attention to the Combat effectiveness of this art. I think that that is some impact.

Marcus Buonfiglio
I hope not to catch to much hell for my opinion but here it goes. First of all, yes Mr. Pick does cross train. His nephew was showing me all kinds of crazy hand positionings and stuff that they are into these days. He named the japanese system that it was from but I forget. Secondly Mr. Pick is a big guy and he teaches a big guys art. Mr. Mills on the other hand stresses a proper method of execution for those of any size. I recognize Mr. Picks importance to the art; however his lesson has already been taught. Its a good lesson mind you, but not nescessarily new. Mr. Mills' is really showing us how to move like Mr. Pick or Mr. Parker. Its really a step by step procsess that anyone can learn where as practitioners are generaly left to there own devices under the other "Masters".
Sean

M

MisterMike

How do we decide what an impact is? Does it reflect their contributions to the art, number of students below him/her, how far does the person's teaching reach?

Why 10 years? I'm curious who has had the biggest impact, who's forging ahead now, and who the up-and-comers are.

I've met Mr. Planas, Wedlake and Pick and some other movie guys. Yea, even the movie guys have some sort of impact according to my last paragraph. They get the word out.

Some write books, make videos, travel the seminar circuit. I think anyone active outside their school and lineage is making an impact. They're passing on the art and their insights.

I won't say which "one" only because I've studied Kenpo and feel it would only look biased, but ask a non-Kenpo person what they think. OK, I won't pick one, but the above mentioned (by name)are at the top of my list.

Since I've come to MT, I see there are some good up-and-comers on this board. When the first generation Kenpoists pass on, I think the art is going to be in some good hands.

S

Sworn_Enemy

First of all, yes Mr. Pick does cross train. His nephew was showing me all kinds of crazy hand positionings and stuff that they are into these days. He named the japanese system that it was from but I forget

That would be news to me and to every other UKF member I know. I've never heard of any of these strange hand positionings you mention. Last time I trained with Mr. Pick which was a few months ago I destinctly remeber him saying he has never ventured outside the scope of Kenpo and never needed to.

Secondly Mr. Pick is a big guy and he teaches a big guys art.

That's just not true at all. I'm 5'6", 150lbs and I have absolutely no problems making it work. And I'm the smallest guy in my school. Everyone makes it out like Mr. Pick is this huge guy. He's incredibly strong, hits like a truck, but he's not that big.

however his lesson has already been taught. Its a good lesson mind you, but not nescessarily new

What lesson would that be? I look forward to continuing this conversation.

-Tom Chase
UKF
Northeast R.T.C.

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I hope not to catch to much hell for my opinion but here it goes. First of all, yes Mr. Pick does cross train. His nephew was showing me all kinds of crazy hand positionings and stuff that they are into these days. He named the japanese system that it was from but I forget. Secondly Mr. Pick is a big guy and he teaches a big guys art. Mr. Mills on the other hand stresses a proper method of execution for those of any size. I recognize Mr. Picks importance to the art; however his lesson has already been taught. Its a good lesson mind you, but not nescessarily new. Mr. Mills' is really showing us how to move like Mr. Pick or Mr. Parker. Its really a step by step procsess that anyone can learn where as practitioners are generaly left to there own devices under the other "Masters".
Sean

Greetings Sean.
Don't worry about catching hell. At least not from this corner. To address a few misconceptions. I emphatically state and reinterate that you are incorrect concerning his crosstraining. I have been a student of his for many years now. He and I have discussed this subject at length and he has clearly stated his dislike for crosstraining. I have never seen any evidence of what you state. We don't have any weird hand positioning. Simply 12 points which for lack of time is similar to how a boxer would hold his hands (slightly modified). I don't know which nephew you speak of but if he is showing you something goofy it certainly isn't Picks material. I will ask him if he is teaching any of his nephews as I am not aware that he is. Mr Pick is not a big guy. He is broad at the shoulders, slightly barrel chested, thick limbed, but only 5'8'' in height. I am 5'8 1/2" and am slightly taller than him. Not quite sure what you mean by "big guys art" One of my kid students (12 years old) nearly knocked me out going only 1/2 power and I had to tell him that it is time to lighten up his strikes. Granted he is 5'6" and an athlete but hardly what I would call big. Very presumptuas of you to say that his lessons have already been taught when you have never had a lesson with him or his ranking belts. I disagree with that statement. As far as Mr. Mills is concerned I have nothing but good things to say about him. He is fast, articulate, accurate, progressive, and has a fantastic organization in the AKKI that is respected by a lot of Kenpo organazations including the UKF. Mr. Mills however is not teaching you to move like Mr. Pick. He is teaching you to move like Mr. Mills which is not a bad thing mind you. I answered the original question of who I think will have the most impact in the next ten years. In reading the various responces it is gratifying to see the loyalty to various instructors. If you take the workof all of these extraordinary gentlemen and look at the sum of all their efforts the impact is huge indeed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sworn_Enemy
That would be news to me and to every other UKF member I know. I've never heard of any of these strange hand positionings you mention. Last time I trained with Mr. Pick which was a few months ago I destinctly remeber him saying he has never ventured outside the scope of Kenpo and never needed to.

That's just not true at all. I'm 5'6", 150lbs and I have absolutely no problems making it work. And I'm the smallest guy in my school. Everyone makes it out like Mr. Pick is this huge guy. He's incredibly strong, hits like a truck, but he's not that big.

What lesson would that be? I look forward to continuing this conversation.

-Tom Chase
UKF
Northeast R.T.C.
I don't know his nephew could have been pulling my leg, but I doubt it. What I mean by hand positionings is the same some ninjitsu guys do where they are crossing fingers in certain paterns for symbolic meanings. I believe its from his study with the sword. Whatever it is he has taught his brother-in-law and of course his nephew. I havn't seen either of them in years so I may sound like I'm making it up, but this ten or twelve year old was training at the school where I was training for a while, and was going on and on about it. As far as the lesson Mr. Pick teaches, I will say he is a very feel to believe sort of teacher, and after a lesson, most people will say "man, I have never been hit that hard."; however, I feel Paul Mills is more likely to get us to that point. Don't try telling me a black smith isn't strong, and I'll wager everyone on this board will claim there instructor taught them to make the art work.(more later)
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does however have a very good understanding of the other systems and the principles that they perpetuate. A necessity in understand how to best defeat them is to know what you are up against.

How could someone have a good understanding of a system if they have never spent any time in it? I would think that there would be more to understanding a system besides just watching or reading about what they do. I would think that having some experience in the art would give the best understanding.

For example, take BJJ. Someone could watch a triangle choke being applied. Does that mean that just by watching it be applied, that you will understand whats happening? Of course not. You need to get in there and do it to understand it.

Mike

N

Nick Ellerton

Hello all.

I dont really think it can be one person to whom can make a single impact on EPAK because as we are all well aware there are the various systems of the art. Each System has been modified to suit each of these elite instructors satisfaction. But as far as an impact is concerned each and every single person to whom wears a kenpo uniform is making an impact because they are doing what is important and that is keeping the art alive. Because saddly, like the late Mr Parker once things perish they never come back, so by all of us wearing a kenpo uniform it is us not just one person that is going to make an inpact it is everyone within the art. But without the imput of these instructors the art would not be as strong as it is today so they all have an extremely positive impact on the art. but it is all of those involved that makes it what it is.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The person who CAN impact EPAK in the next 10 years is Ed Parker Jr. Whether he will or will not will depend on what develops over the next year or two...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the stats on the poll, I can see there have been alot of changes. Very interesting!!

Mike

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
How could someone have a good understanding of a system if they have never spent any time in it? I would think that there would be more to understanding a system besides just watching or reading about what they do. I would think that having some experience in the art would give the best understanding.

For example, take BJJ. Someone could watch a triangle choke being applied. Does that mean that just by watching it be applied, that you will understand whats happening? Of course not. You need to get in there and do it to understand it.

Mike

You make a good point Mike and I agree. You can also say that having a lot of experience against an art gives you a good understanding of it. Although Mr. Pick hasn't trained as a student in any other system he has worked extensively against others who are highly trained in other disciplines. As examples I will use FMA knife and BJJ. These disciplines are prevalent in the military personal that he trains. On a regular basis he is challenged by these solders looking to test their metal against what he teaches. I have been witness to him working with trained UFC fighters countering what they were attempting and taking it to the simulated kill. I have been witness to him working freeform with trained FMA knife combatants and dominating their attack also taking it to the simulated kill. To become proficient at implementing another discipline requires extensive training at that discipline but in my opinion, the key to defeating it is understanding its core principles. Thank you for the dialogue.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You make a good point Mike and I agree. You can also say that having a lot of experience against an art gives you a good understanding of it. Although Mr. Pick hasn't trained as a student in any other system he has worked extensively against others who are highly trained in other disciplines. As examples I will use FMA knife and BJJ. These disciplines are prevalent in the military personal that he trains. On a regular basis he is challenged by these solders looking to test their metal against what he teaches. I have been witness to him working with trained UFC fighters countering what they were attempting and taking it to the simulated kill. I have been witness to him working freeform with trained FMA knife combatants and dominating their attack also taking it to the simulated kill. To become proficient at implementing another discipline requires extensive training at that discipline but in my opinion, the key to defeating it is understanding its core principles. Thank you for the dialogue.

You are welcome, and thank you for going further with your explaination!:asian:

I do not know Mr. Pick, anything about his training, etc. but now that you explain that he has worked with people from those various arts, I understand where you're coming from.

Mike

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read several comments on why people are voting for Mills, Pick, & Planas...

But the most votes so far are going to Tatum and Sepulveda and nobody has commented on why? Why do people think either of these two will impact the most? Just curious...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for Mr. Sepulveda because of his integrity and commitment to: first, his students; and second, the value he places on TRAINING - hence the name American Kenpo Training System (AKTS).

His newly formed organization, the AKTS, I see as being unique and attractive to Kenpoist world-wide, due primarily to Mr. Sepulveda's commitment to doing it right. It is all about his students, and their growth in the Art, not how much money can they generate for him. Mr. Sepulveda has a HUGE fund of knowledge, which he tries to increase every day, and his affiliation with Jeff Speakman in the AKKS was extremely high profile, drawing in a large number of schools worldwide. After splitting off, but not severing ties, in a little over a year, we have 60 schools in 9 countries that are AKTS (that is phenomenal to me, given that membership is by invitation only, or a member "sponsors" you in usually). It is not a "pay your money and take your chances" kind of organization.

Since I did the web site, let me quote myself "... dedicated to preserving and evolving in Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate, through actively training, regardless of belt rank or time in the Art." ALL BELTS!!! No sitting on the sidelines critiquing whoever is teaching ... if not worse. Some of the other things I like are the high value he places on the family and kids in the Art and great value is placed on professional personal responses from staff in a timely manner; it is much more affordable, for me and my students - memberships, patches, seminars, etc.

Something different is that Membership in the AKTS is not exclusive. It's members can have dual affiliation with other Kenpo, Professional, or Martial Arts organizations. This basically says that Mr. Sepulveda and the AKTS does not feel "threatened" by anything out there being taught now days. You are welcome to go learn, compare, contrast, and odds are, you are getting your Kenpo-related needs met within the organization.

I like Mr. Sepulveda's availability; his support and relationship with my instructor, Tommy Burks, his upper belts, 5th and up look and move great, and they understand not only what they are doing, but why they are doing it. The organization is not trying to be big, but Mr. Sepulveda's reputation, ability, and integrity are pretty powerful draws to those looking for a "family" of Kenpoist.

OK, now that was my shameless plug for who I voted for, but hey, you asked. His value will be to a select group of individuals that are looking for the "Ironworker" and the "Watchmaker" - I never hear negatives about Mr. Sepulveda, and that is plain amazing given the Kenpo environment today.

Respectfully
-Michael

edited for grammer

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two reasons

1) I am only acquainted with a few of the people mentioned and, being from his neck of the woods, I know John Sepulveda the best. And,

2) His outreach, his openness, his accessibility, all combine to make him the most accessible and unifying Kenpoist I've met.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Two reasons

1) I am only acquainted with a few of the people mentioned and, being from his neck of the woods, I know John Sepulveda the best. And,

2) His outreach, his openness, his accessibility, all combine to make him the most accessible and unifying Kenpoist I've met.
I'll give you that Mr. Sepulveda is a very open and accessible guy; however, the same can be said for the ones you have not met save for one. As for you first reason, well you know as well as I do that that is what is wrong with your poll in the first place. We are going to choose what we know and slight what we do not. My 7th grade English teacher is by far the best English teacher I ever had so I feel he is the model for all english teachers. Don't even try to bring your favs up because I never heard of um. :asian:
Sean

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, most of us will vote for our instructor or at least the one we know best.

Now if everyone lists the qualities that make them like their instructor, then we'll have a good idea of which directions Kenpo will take in the next few years.

And that is my hidden agenda for starting this poll in the first place. And, to me, it is an important agenda because so much of what I see about Kenpo and from Kenpoists on the internet is past-focused, closed-to-new-ideas, and condescending toward other arts and methods. I want to hear about the good things that Kenpoists are doing and I hope that this thread helps to bring that out of us.

R

rmcrobertson

Of course, you could take the "Time," magazine approach, and simply put up whoever might have the greatest impact, good or bad.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I agree, most of us will vote for our instructor or at least the one we know best.

Now if everyone lists the qualities that make them like their instructor, then we'll have a good idea of which directions Kenpo will take in the next few years.

And that is my hidden agenda for starting this poll in the first place. And, to me, it is an important agenda because so much of what I see about Kenpo and from Kenpoists on the internet is past-focused, closed-to-new-ideas, and condescending toward other arts and methods. I want to hear about the good things that Kenpoists are doing and I hope that this thread helps to bring that out of us.

Do a search- top five kenpoist you would like to have a lesson with and why... All kinds of what you are looking for there by all kinds of kenpo people.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, you could take the "Time," magazine approach, and simply put up whoever might have the greatest impact, good or bad. -rmcrobertson.

the question was not: Who would you LIKE to influence EPAK...
nor, Who is the most popular so-and-so, nor was it Who's classes or seminars would you like to attend, or whose products would you like to purchase...

although it is a poll, and just like the rediculous ones of the political variety, well, the results can be twisted to mean all of the above.

I for one (and that's probably an accurate count... since, so far all i've heard are the crickets chirping), feel that for out and out IMPACT, Edmund Parker Jr CAN be that person. After all, he shares his fathers name and it makes up 50% of our little acronym.

Latest Discussions