Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Kenpo Yahoo

I for one (and that's probably an accurate count... since, so far all i've heard are the crickets chirping), feel that for out and out IMPACT, Edmund Parker Jr CAN be that person.

Other than sharing his father's name, I fail to see where Mr. Parker Jr has been much of an influence in the world of kenpo (please let me know if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will). Sure he's drawn a few portraits, but as of yet, he really hasn't done anything to standout in the kenpo community. This may change over the next couple of years with the restructuring of the IKKA, but to date Mr. Parker Jr. seems to be known more for his artwork and the fact that he cut up and sold his daddy's belt than for his martial arts ability. I also might add that despite the fact that he is the SGM's son, he didn't really train with him and actually received his rank from a 1st gen blackbelt (which essentially makes him a 2nd gen blackbelt, but who really cares).

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not EP jr. will step out of daddy's shadow and truly influence the kenpo community or if he will continue to prosper by virtue of his NAME alone.

After all, he shares his fathers name and it makes up 50% of our little acronym.

Surely this isn't the only reason. IS IT?

S

Shiatsu

I believe he received his balck belt from Doc Chapel. But I don't see how he will lead them into greatness either. I will stay with my first vote.:asian:

C

CoolKempoDude

i think old fat kenpo is a person who will impact EPAK in the next 10 years. Why?

he was the one who brought up "fighting when you are down", Brazil jujitsu thing, from AK's point of view.

as the result of his comment, he took a lot of hits.

If you see AK focus on "ground techniques" down the line, do not forget OLD FAT KENPO from Martial Talk forum:D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by SThiess
Again as I said earlier John, you read what you want to read. I never denied anyone listed above their reputation or put down what they have done for Kenpo. And I never judged them. Look closly at my statement. And what about the statement NONE of the ABOVE is negative John ? It is what it is, not more not less. My personal opinion. If you make it to yours, analyze and judge it, then you make it negative. I didn't. You see what you want to see.
No Sven, I didn’t read what I wanted…I read your words. There’s nothing wrong with putting down “none of the above”, that’s just your opinion and you’re free to it, but you must admit it goes against the nature of the poll question, as there was no choice called “none of the above”, there was one that said “Somebody else”. The question wasn’t will anyone make an impact, but who amongst these choices do you feel will make the greatest impact. No doubt those listed will be those who make the biggest impacts on our art. If you think someone else will, there was a choice for it.

You said:
“I never denied anyone listed above their reputation or put down what they have done for Kenpo.”

That’s not even in question; don’t know why you inserted this here. I never said you did either.

You said:
“And I never judged them.”
Really? Yes you did.

You said:
“And what about the statement NONE of the ABOVE is negative John ? It is what it is, not more not less.”
No, it was more…you qualified this opinion with something else, that the “ego” must be eliminated and that since it’s not you chose none. This is what I perceived as being negative. Seemed like you were saying that these men weren’t spiritually evolved enough.

You said:
“If you make it to yours, analyze and judge it, then you make it negative.”

I’d really like to comment on this, but I don’t think I understand what you are saying. I didn’t ‘make it mine”, as I stated in the previous point, I thought you were saying that none of these men qualify based on your judgment. You see when anyone says/writes something the very act of receiving this message entails ‘analyzing’ and ‘judging’ it. How else shall I make up my mind about what you’ve said?

If I’m wrong, sorry. My mistake, I’m human.
Like I said before, I’m sure your motives are good, just that what you wrote did seem judgmental.
Thanks

Your Brother
John

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
If you see AK focus on "ground techniques" down the line, do not forget OLD FAT KENPO from Martial Talk forum:D

Are you familiar with the self defence technique 'Rolling Thunder'? It's not the only groundfighting technique in the syllabus either.

Kenpo ground fighting is already there, you just need the right exposure to Kenpo.

Les

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SThiess
Unless the Ego will be eliminated out of this system there will never be the true spirit of the Martial Arts in Kenpo. So I would say none of the above

You're right. Certainly no ego involved in any other systems.

Jeff:)

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couple of things. Why the animosity toward Ed Parker Jr? We are talking about impact on Kenpo, not stripes on our belt. If indeed Mr. Parker continues to reorganize the IKKA that could have a great impact. Mr. Parker Jr. came to our shcooland did a seminar for us, and he was both knowledgable and humble. And no, I am not a student of his or a part of the IKKA. In fact I voted for Mr. Mills.
And so what if he sold his father's picture with a piece of Mr. Parker's belt? I mean its his belt he can do what he wants and no one had to buy it. There are a lot of people who know cna say they have a part of one of Mr. Parker's belts now.

Brian Jones
ps. Tommy Chavies is a first generation Parker student who is in some of the photos of Infinite Insights vol. 5

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Brian Jones

And so what if he sold his father's picture with a piece of Mr. Parker's belt? I mean its his belt he can do what he wants and no one had to buy it. There are a lot of people who know cna say they have a part of one of Mr. Parker's belts now.

i saw it on ed parker jr's web site last year. I thought it is weird for him to do that.

i don't understand why he wanted to cut his father belt into many pieaces and sold it to anybody who wanted a pieace ????

ed parker jr is obviously not a poor man compared to other. He didn't have to do that.

i see what he did was REALLY interesting and EXTREMELY STRANGE.

Think about it: if your father is a founder of this or that or a famous person, why would you want to destroy his stuff and sell it to other?

you should keep all his stuff because they are invaluable.

i guess he (ed parker jr) can do whatever he wants to his father stuff.

i hope that AK people don't take this as an insult.

a special note for other high ranking 5 degree or above, please tell your children NOT to cut your belt and pant into many pieaces and sell it on Ebay because i'm not going to BID on it

Special Update: When i went to his web site, i saw the picture of his cutting belt into pieaces. He surely is a heck of artist

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only reason I mentioned it was that I remember this being a huge issue on the AKKI forum a year or two ago. I think I remember Mr. Parker Jr. chiming in and clarifying that it wasn't the only belt of his father's he had. If it was the only one he had, yeah it's a little odd. But then again it's his belt to do what he wnats. But since its not liek Mr. parker only had one belt, its really not that big a deal to me, I thought it was sort of cool. although I didn't buy one.

Brian Jones

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Brian Jones
The only reason I mentioned it was that I remember this being a huge issue on the AKKI forum a year or two ago. I think I remember Mr. Parker Jr. chiming in and clarifying that it wasn't the only belt of his father's he had. If it was the only one he had, yeah it's a little odd. But then again it's his belt to do what he wnats. But since its not liek Mr. parker only had one belt, its really not that big a deal to me, I thought it was sort of cool. although I didn't buy one.

Brian Jones

Ed Parker had more than 1 belt ???? I did not realize that you can change belt when you change your clothes?????

i am a conspiracy theorist and i love to be one and the question here is

how do you if that cut belt is ed parker's belt because belt with the same strike looks alike????

hell, i can go out and "order" one which looks the same and claim it's my father stuff and sell it to you AND you don't know the different right????

just want to let you know what i think................no offense to anybody.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gosh no not offended at all. Just relaying what, if I rememeber correctly, what Ed Parker's reply was when this came up before. As I rememebr he sounded pretty upset that his integrity was being questioned. At least that's how it seemed to me. But all in all, I do think its interesting his name came up. When we think of impact on kenpo we have been talking about Seniors. It may be the person who has the greatest impact won't be the person with the highest degree but the greater organizational, or promotional skills.

Brian Jones

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
i saw it on ed parker jr's web site last year. I thought it is weird for him to do that.

i hope that AK people don't take this as an insult.

a special note for other high ranking 5 degree or above, please tell your children NOT to cut your belt and pant into many pieaces and sell it on Ebay because i'm not going to BID on it

Special Update: When i went to his web site, i saw the picture of his cutting belt into pieaces. He surely is a heck of artist
I don't mind that Edmund Jr has done this. Without its owner the belt is just a peice of cloth, and in this case it probably means a lot more to the purchasers than the person selling it. He was Senior Grandmaster parker to us and just plain old Dad to them. I thought it was a kind gesture, and its not as if he is selling peices in baggies; the peices are attached to great art works, as you have acknowledged.
Sean

K

Kenpo Yahoo

You guys have just given validation to my argument. I couldn't care less that the guy hacked "Daddy's" belt to pieces and sold it on the internet. My point was that EP Jr. is known more for this particular event than he is for his martial arts skills. As for the future of the IKKA, after a few spits and sputters, we are all still waiting to see if anything will actually happen.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As for the future of the IKKA, after a few spits and sputters, we are all still waiting to see if anything will actually happen.- kenpo yahoo

You've just validated my original rationale for bringing EPJr into this discussion... not as a vote for 'best in show', but upon who else is everybody waiting to see what happens next? If its a homerun (big impact), strike out (big negative impact), or he can stay up at the plate and keep fouling 'em off (yawn)...

pete

K

Kenpo Yahoo

The only reason I have been waiting to see what will happen is because I'm curious how, exactly, they will get a bunch of people together who for the most part don't get along. I'm not waiting to join, I'm just waiting for something to happen and thus far we have seen bupkus!!! They appear to have charged everyone an arm and a leg just to wear their patch without any other real benefit.

If the association takes off and starts playing a big role then great. Kenpo is big enough to have multiple players, but until then we can only go on Jr's history which, quite frankly, isn't all that impressive.

Anyway, this is starting to get off topic so I'll leave it at that.

C

CoolKempoDude

who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years ????

this is a good question and god knows what will happen to EPAK in many years.

Ed Parker Sr did not name any successor before he passed away and it certainly makes thing complicated and chaos.

from what i have seen and read in this forum, i can say that it is very much everybody in AK goes different ways and goes their own ways.

some of us are students of SENIOR members and we surely want our grandmaster or master to be the person who impact EPAK in next 10 years BUT it is not going to work because

if 10 person of larry say LARRY is the one, 20 student of DOC or goldendragon 7 say he is the one and i'm sure many will claim so. Unless you all fight each other to death for the "impact person of EPAK" TROPHY.

it is certainly sad.

i don't know or fail to see if Ed Parker Jr has any roles in EPAK since he is the "ambassador" ??? I don't know if this "ambassador" has the ability to unite everybody together. He has a heck of the mission to do.

good luck to you AK people. One thing good certainly happens is we have EPAK forum here where we discuss about it and talk about it.

to me, it is awesome

Latest Discussions