Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
I've worked in juvenile correctional facilities for about 11 years now, I've seen LOTS of minor squables, to fights to riots... and I've yet to see any of these guys do anything that even remotely looks like a step-through punch, and though they are "juveniles" and not trained fighters (well, not most of them at least) the majority of them have grown up in the streets and in gangs where they've been forced to scrap on a consistent basis... So I figure their fights are indicative of a regular street-thug.
It's interesting work.

Your Brother
John

Not to get off of the topic and maybe this should be a new thread but, what would they do? I picture them still in their stance probably bouncing and throw a punch from their back hand and maybe put their shoulder into it (much like a boxer). yea na what have you seen the most? I would be intrested in talking to you in depth.

Thanks Rick

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
can you guys say
LONG run-on sentence?

sorry...:rolleyes:

Your Brother
John
I just started the sentance with And. That is not a run on sentence. I may have broke a rule, but it was no run on sentence. Now proffessor, which rule did I break. Robert may actualy be of some help with this one. :D
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I just started the sentance with And. That is not a run on sentence. I may have broke a rule, but it was no run on sentence. Now proffessor, which rule did I break. Robert may actualy be of some help with this one. :D
Sean
No dude....
MY run-on sentence....
The one in the post JUST before the GEEZE one. Was poking fun at myself.
;)
Your Brother
John

J

jeffkyle

Did you ever hear Mr. Parker tell the story about getting stabbed with a six inch blade as opposed to a twelve?

BIG difference between a knife and a fist!!!!

I never said step through punches weren't more powerfull; however, a punch step through will be faster and Knock your *** out all the same. And Step through punches will only be found and taught in a karate studio.

I don't disagree here...I was just focusing on a different point.:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

1, Try the first sentence of Milton's "Aeropagitica, " which goes on for like a week.

2. A Texan is visiting Harvard. He walks up to a professor, and asks, "Sir, can y'all tell me whur the lib'rary's at?

Professor says, "My good man, never end a sentence with a preposition."

Texan says, "OK, sir, can y'all tell me whur the lib'rary's at, a******?"

3. Glad I was sick yesterday, and couldn't respond. Guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't comment on other people's character (whatever their fantasies), and I'd appreciate it if you'd leave mine out of the discussion. Just discuss what I write; given the amount of dopey stuff there, it shouldn't be too hard to take apart.

4. One day, Albert Einstein is observed talking intensely to the little girl next door for over an hour. Later, her parents come up and apologize for their daughter's having taken up so much of the great man's time. "What could she have to discuss that would possibly be of interest to you?" they say. "We were discussing relativity," says Albert. "Relativity?" they say. "How could you possibly explain relativity to a four-year-old?" "Well," says Albert, "If I couldn't explain relativity to a four-year-old, it would just show that I don't understand it myself."

5. Please just a brief explanation of, "D1/D2 flexion/extension patterns to increase speed while maintaining control."

Thanks.

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score

5. Please just a brief explanation of, "D1/D2 flexion/extension patterns to increase speed while maintaining control."

Thanks. [/B]

Ask your instructor.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
BIG difference between a knife and a fist!!!!

I don't disagree here...I was just focusing on a different point.:asian:
Mr. Parker didn't relate the story to talk about knife lengths. :asian:
Sean:) :asian: :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fastmover
Ask your instructor.
Why, is it a secret? Its ok to give a breif explanation I'm sure we can handle it. "D" is just a letter and 1 and 2 are just numbers. At least tell us what "D" stands for.:asian:
Sean

R

rmcrobertson

Ya know, it's odd. I can't think of anything I've learned in kenpo that could be put into words that I couldn't give either a) a succinct, fairly-clear explanation of; b) a statement that gee, I hadn't heard of that, c) a statement that aw shucks, I should know that but I don't remember, followed by my looking it up because I should remember, d) a statement that says, nope, I think you're wrong and here's why.

I realize that I put a couple people's noses out of joint, but I have to say--it reminds me of teaching writing classes, when I hear students who claim to have been told things like, "never use the pronoun 'I' when you write," but then can't recall any explanation of why you should never use the pronoun, "I."

I'm sure some of you folks have an explanation; I'm plain and simple just asking, and I don't see what the big deal is.

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why, is it a secret? Its ok to give a breif explanation I'm sure we can handle it. "D" is just a letter and 1 and 2 are just numbers. At least tell us what "D" stands for.:asian:
Sean

Really there are no secrets, but consider the person asking the question and their attitude toward different ideas throughout
the forums in general.

From his point of view there can be nothing new in Kenpo; therefore, I told him to get the answer from his instructor.

However, for those with an open mind,
the "D" stands for Diagonal and it is used to teach one
proper kinesthetic movement on a diagonal plain. Doing so
improves economy of motion, speed, power and effect of
the movement.

K

Kenpo Yahoo

I totally agree with Fastmover. Why the hell should I take the time to explain to someone the things that we are doing when that person has repeatedly, and arrogantly, dogged our Head Instructor and association. The phrase,"There is nothing new in kenpo" comes to mind. Well, If there is nothing new in kenpo, then ask Tatum. A number of our colored belts know, understand, and apply these concepts, so surely Tatum knows what they are and how they work.

A wise man once said,"There are really only two types of questions: those that are asked to seek information and those that are asked to challenge what is being done.

If I for one minute thought that you were actually sincere I might take the time to explain. Unfortunately I don't, so I guess I won't.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that Robert was being a little snotty, but he may have directed it at me and the way I gave my answer, and basicly got hit by Mr. Mills' supporters like a freight train commin'. I couldn't have planned it any better. Secondly, the Jargon is confusing and You are being just as snotty as Robert for asking him to ask his instructor. I belong to Kenpo 2000 and we arent't using D1 and D2; so, I thought I would ask. We do however do what you are doing with our own terminology.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree that Robert was being a little snotty

Actually, I thought he was becoming reminscent of Clyde, with his 'I don't support/believe/belong to that school of thinking, so it can't be right' attitude.

Maybe I've mis-read him, but the way he is challenging people on here who (I believe) are lower ranks than him on here seems designed to intimidate and humiliate rather than anything else.

In this thread I have twice suggested that Robert should call Mr Mills with his questions. Did he call him yet? Apparently not.

Someone earlier said "Ask your Instructor" Why not?

Professor Gary Ellis, 6th Degree Kenpo, once told me, "If you don't ask questions I can't learn"

I'm sorry if this reads as a personal attack on Robert, it wasn't intended as such, merely as support for my Association and my fellow AKKI Instructors on here.

Les

R

rmcrobertson

Sorry, you are collectively completely wrong. I haven't impugned anybody's instructor (for example, I haven't referred to anybody by their last name alone), I haven't been, 'snotty," (I haven't written, "go ask your instructor," certainly) and above all I haven't claimed superior knowledge and then evaded questions about just what that was.

Ya know, guys, it's just discussion. They're just questions. It's just argument; what's the big deal? You're happy with the guy teaching you and with your individual schools; I think that's great; I'm happy with the guy teaching me and the school I attend; you should think that's great.

But I'm about tired of asking questions and getting met with hostility and remarks about what people fantasize to be my character, which (again!) I stay away from. For about the 95th time, I do not think what you think I think. I'm just asking: that really is all. I have no real idea what some of you are learning, and I'm simply curious: that's all.

If I meant to criticize anybody, believe me, you wouldn't need to be interpreting. Here's an example: at this point, I've gotten the distinct impression that all this D1/D2 stuff is just hocus-pocus. Why? because every time I've asked what it means--which we academic types do all the time; ask questions and try to provide answers--evasions, character attacks, and now remarks about, "tatum," result. Where I come from, these are signs you haven't got the intellectual goods.

That clear enough for you? Of course, it's easy to dispel this impression: just explain. Isn't that what these damn forums are supposed to be for?

As for the way I write, well, too damn bad. It's natural to me, and it comes out of the way I've been taught. One symptom, by the way, that the problems with it ain't my problem are the constant mentions of my name whenever spelling and grammatical issues come up. Well, guess what. They are very, very seldom relevant on these forums. They don't matter. Personally, I barely notice them, and I couldn't care less.

In the first place, these aren't formal papers. In the second, pro writers have editors, little elves who clean up spelling and grammar. In the third, Shakespeare's name was spelled at least 16 different ways in contemporary documents, the Folio first editions of his plays are a mess, AND WHO CARES?

I certainly don't take spealling and grammar as signs of anybody's intelligence and knowledge, much less their knowledge of kenpo or ability to whup my tail--for example, I'm a much better speller than Clyde, and over the years I have found this to be of remarkably little help on the mats with him. I have also consistently found him to be far more-knowledgeable about the intellectual material of kenpo. And guess what? (Yes, THAT was sarcastic. Finally.) I've never had him evade a question, or tell me that I was being a jerk to ask, or say, "Oh, go ask Larry if you're so interested."

In the fourth place, what counts here is honest writing, details to back things up, and a bit of courtesy.

But not to worry. This is the third time that I've asked questions about what Mr. Mills teaches, and the third time simple questions have been met with considerable discourtesy. So, I won't be asking anything that--inconvenient--again.

Yep, I am now officially a bit ticked off. Which, for me, means that I will not be posting on this thread again.

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Robert,
Please email me through the board. I have a website that may answer some of your questions.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Sorry, you are collectively completely wrong. I haven't impugned anybody's instructor (for example, I haven't referred to anybody by their last name alone), I haven't been, 'snotty," (I haven't written, "go ask your instructor," certainly) and above all I haven't claimed superior knowledge and then evaded questions about just what that was.

Ya know, guys, it's just discussion. They're just questions. It's just argument; what's the big deal? You're happy with the guy teaching you and with your individual schools; I think that's great; I'm happy with the guy teaching me and the school I attend; you should think that's great.

But I'm about tired of asking questions and getting met with hostility and remarks about what people fantasize to be my character, which (again!) I stay away from. For about the 95th time, I do not think what you think I think. I'm just asking: that really is all. I have no real idea what some of you are learning, and I'm simply curious: that's all.

If I meant to criticize anybody, believe me, you wouldn't need to be interpreting. Here's an example: at this point, I've gotten the distinct impression that all this D1/D2 stuff is just hocus-pocus. Why? because every time I've asked what it means--which we academic types do all the time; ask questions and try to provide answers--evasions, character attacks, and now remarks about, "tatum," result. Where I come from, these are signs you haven't got the intellectual goods.

That clear enough for you? Of course, it's easy to dispel this impression: just explain. Isn't that what these damn forums are supposed to be for?

As for the way I write, well, too damn bad. It's natural to me, and it comes out of the way I've been taught. One symptom, by the way, that the problems with it ain't my problem are the constant mentions of my name whenever spelling and grammatical issues come up. Well, guess what. They are very, very seldom relevant on these forums. They don't matter. Personally, I barely notice them, and I couldn't care less.

In the first place, these aren't formal papers. In the second, pro writers have editors, little elves who clean up spelling and grammar. In the third, Shakespeare's name was spelled at least 16 different ways in contemporary documents, the Folio first editions of his plays are a mess, AND WHO CARES?

I certainly don't take spealling and grammar as signs of anybody's intelligence and knowledge, much less their knowledge of kenpo or ability to whup my tail--for example, I'm a much better speller than Clyde, and over the years I have found this to be of remarkably little help on the mats with him. I have also consistently found him to be far more-knowledgeable about the intellectual material of kenpo. And guess what? (Yes, THAT was sarcastic. Finally.) I've never had him evade a question, or tell me that I was being a jerk to ask, or say, "Oh, go ask Larry if you're so interested."

In the fourth place, what counts here is honest writing, details to back things up, and a bit of courtesy.

But not to worry. This is the third time that I've asked questions about what Mr. Mills teaches, and the third time simple questions have been met with considerable discourtesy. So, I won't be asking anything that--inconvenient--again.

Yep, I am now officially a bit ticked off. Which, for me, means that I will not be posting on this thread again.
Robert,
For what it is worth I was intentionaly skirting what Mr. Mills teaches for I only have the gist of it through my instructor talking about it in relation to what we are doing. I told you a little about it in past postings but we weren't exactly connecting. What I meant by "the way I wrote it..." was my limmited description of the subject. I don't think I can do it justice but just from the word Diagonal I can tell where they are going with the concept. They would not have responded to you if you had not been responding to me; so, that is what I was refering too there. :asian:
Sean

R

rmcrobertson

Sean, thank you for the courteous reply. I owe you a bit of an apology in this regard; I shouldn't have included you, since nothing you wrote was all that big of an issue.

As for looking up a website, I'd have done that if I wanted to know what a website would tell me. But I'd appreciate the link nonetheless: would you mind posting it on this thread? Thank you, "Mace."

Apparently, I also should have written that I would post on this thread only in response to polite discussion. Sounds like a good policy, anyway...

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Robertson
As for looking up a website, I'd have done that if I wanted to know what a website would tell me.

Ummmm..... or you could call Mr. Mills, as Les suggested.

Robertson
Sorry, you are collectively completely wrong.

Hey look everybody!!! We are ALL wrong about Robert. Perhaps this has more to do with how you treat people, than with our lack of understanding.