Who is your favorite boxer? Why?

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
muhammad ali, because he really is the greatest.

gatti and ward, because they gave us some of the best ever.

hitman hearns, if you look past his losses, he is one of the most dangerous guys to ever step in the ring. he always gives 100%, and always beat the **** out of his opponents.

i am surprise none of the martial artist said this, but right now my favorite is barnard hopkins. not just because he is a fellow east coast brother, but he approaches bxing like a fighting art. he is mean, and he looks to hurt his opponent as well as win the match. if the knockout doesnt come easy, he pound the life off your body, and makes sure you dont want to get in the ring with him again. he is laughed at because he wont fight for less than 50%, but then, why should he take less just because somebody doesnt want to? he does a good job intimidating his opponents, including the interviewers.

roy jones, of course he is the most skillful fighter to watch, has lots of confidence, except i have a feeling he is avoiding hopkins.

floyd mayweather, even though he lost to castillo, he is the best package and the most adaptable fighter to his opponents.

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Sugar Ray Robinson, and Sugar Ray Leonard.

I like their style.

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Roy Jones Jr. With him you either put up, or shut up. Next, (In no certain order)

Apollo Creed
Clubber Lange
Rocky Balboa
Ivan Drago

There, now beat my stable of fighters! I dare ya!:p

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by tmanifold

Evander holyfield- will fight anyone any time and place, even if he can't remember where it is.
:rofl: ROFL :rofl:

I've met Evander once (for about five seconds) but I'll have to say that he is a pretty good man

M

MartialArtist

The actor that played Ivan Drago did some studying in the martial arts. Hell, he even played in a movie with Brandon Lee, which featured the actor that played Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat and that bald-headed guy from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D

B

Box Out 2003

smoking joe frazier has always been an underdog that i liked. he deserves more respect.

T

tmanifold

The actor that played Ivan Drago did some studying in the martial arts. Hell, he even played in a movie with Brandon Lee, which featured the actor that played Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat and that bald-headed guy from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Dolph Lundgren was a Pentathlete who went to U. of Washinton. He studies Kyukoshinkai. I knew I guy that got to spar with him and he said he was really good. Not a boxer though

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by tmanifold
Dolph Lundgren was a Pentathlete who went to U. of Washinton. He studies Kyukoshinkai. I knew I guy that got to spar with him and he said he was really good. Not a boxer though

Dolph Lundgren was a Husky? I didn't know that. Another celebrity from the Pac-10 exposed... :ultracool

T

tmanifold

Yeah that is how he came to the states from swedin on a full ride athletic scholarship. He was actually the "captain" of the US Pentathalon team in Atlanta IIRC.

Tony

RyuKyuBushi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns!!!- Win or loose 100% Warrior

"Marvelous" Marvin Hagler!!!- He Feared No Man

"Sugar" Ray Leonard- True Master of the Art!!!

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if he's my favority boxer, but I have an anecdote about Gene Fullmer. He used to own a restaraunt in Midvale, Utah.

Many years ago, my boss took me to lunch there and my boss was talking about how, when he was a kid, he was close friends with Fullmer's kids. He said he knew Gene well. Gene came by our table (he was going to each table, saying "hi") and my boss tried to start a conversation with him. Gene had no idea who my boss was. Maybe it's an anecdote about my old boss.

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm an Arturo Gatti fan myself. The guy's got heart. I'm itching for the Gatti-Mayweather fight this June in Atlantic City.

Kostya Tsyu is a machine, I agree.

The heavyweight division is just sad.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
Personally, I like Chris Byrd. The guy is a very small heavyweight, but he will take on all comers. This guy is known to put ads in newspapers asking for fights. How 'Gracie-esque', huh? :) No one has ever accused Chris Byrd of ducking them. Plus, he seems like such a nice, classy guy.

Of course I'm also a Roy Jones, Jr. fan. I've been following Roy since the Seoul Olympics (1988).

So, how about you folks? Who do you like?
No contest. Commander Jack Dempsey, USCG Reserve, WW2. Served both in the States and in the Pacific. He was well past draft age when he volunteered. Compare his class act to, well Mike Tyson...

Boxing's had many greats, though, and I like to think the good ones (character wise) outnumber the Tyson's of the world.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the Tzyu-Hatton fight last weekend? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it sounds like it was good.

Sad to see Tzyu finally go down, but this Hatton bloke sounds like he's the next big thing. 39 -0 I believe he is, and a world champion to boot.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
Did anyone catch the Tzyu-Hatton fight last weekend? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it sounds like it was good.

Sad to see Tzyu finally go down, but this Hatton bloke sounds like he's the next big thing. 39 -0 I believe he is, and a world champion to boot.
I watched it, it was well worth staying up for. Hatton is a great fighter but his 39 wins aren't against great opponents, but he shon against Tzyu and Tzyu really is an opponent with great substance.

Latest Discussions