Who is the most Impressive martial artis that you have personaly seen

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dat's a hard question to answer. I'd have to rank several together for a 5 way tie. Shihan Everett Rodriguez of Yasashii Do - watching him move around our two toughest Black Belts like they were nothing when I was just a newly promoted Orange belt scared the hebedejeezus outta me. SGM Chuck Sullivan of the IKCA - Watching a 70+ year old man move the way he did was a testament to the fanatical approach to the basics Mr. Sullivan has. Doc Chapel of SL-4 - *Tap on da cheek.* Nuff said. - Although watching my buddy get tapped was infinitely more enjoyable cause I got to see what I probably looked like hehe. GM Vic Le Roux - Watching him rip on his assistant instructor at the WCKCII in August 05 was fun. Master Armando Deloa - IKCA - That was the first time I'd ever seen anyone move like water. He was taking down people who were 6 to 8 inches taller than his 5'8" frame with ease and the fluidity of his strikes, locks, sweeps, and finishes left my jaw on the floor.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to put my instructor Mr. Theron Sturgess on my list, I am continually amazed by his level of knowledge, technical skill, precision, and power. Just last night in class we were working out and I thought I was doing pretty good until he decided I'd had enough fun and handed me my a$$. :D
Another would be Bill "superfoot" Wallace, I attended one of his seminars last year and was very impressed. I can't imagine how he must have moved 30 or 40 years ago.
Overall though the most impressive thus far would have to be Datu Kelly Worden. I was at one of his seminars last March and was just blown away. I was "dummying" a technique at one point and remember getting "cut" or "stabbed" at least 10 times (and probably more that didn't notice) in the space of about 2 seconds. His level of skill was truly scary (I can't wait 'till next time :D)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bayonet said:
Throughout my short journey so far, 5 stick out: Rorion Gracie, Hee Il Cho, Tak Kubota, Larry Tatum and Huk Planas.

That's an impressive list for a "short" journey so far. I envy you! :partyon:

T

TheBattousai

My instructor ofcourse is at the top of list but other than that it would be Bill Beach (since he is the only master I've seen in person other than my intructor). But for ones on film it would be Seikechi Uehara, he was a true star of MA exellance that people try to be while he was in his 90s!

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Al McLuckie, Lee Wedlake, Huk Planas, Frank Trejo and Vladamir Vasiliev. There are dozens of others who amaze and inspire me and many i've not personally seen.

Jeff

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more although I would put Zach Whitson and Francis Fong's name on that list also.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ron Chapel
Shawn Steiner (my instructor)
Bradford Namahoe (KGS BBS)

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seen in person? Like a lot of us I have to separate into Kenpo and non-kenpo categories, just because its apples and oranges. For Kenpo: Paul Mills, Frank Trejo, Martin Wheeler.
Outside of Kenpo: Remy Presas, Kelly Worden, Wally Jay. Now here is some more fodder ot consider. When we talk about being impressive, what is our criteria? Are they impressive Martial Artists or is their knowledge impressive or their teaching ability?

Brian Jones

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Couldn't agree with you more although I would put Zach Whitson and Francis Fong's name on that list also.
I sure wouldn't want Zach to take it personally that I didn't put him in the first group . I'll take any seminar I can with Zach. if I made a second group it would be Zach Whitson, Martin Wheeler, Sean Kelley and Sonny Puzikas. Still there are dozens of others worthy of respect and worth seeking oyut as instructors.

Jeff

K

Kobayashi

I don't usually visit this subforum, but I'll give my two cents...

Mikhail Ryabko
Vladimir Vasiliev
Uncle Bill DeThouras

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seen in person?
That's easy (it's also a tie): Mr. Ence and Mr. Russel. I will NEVER forget those two highly skilled men.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. My aikido instructor.

2. Bignick (from this board).

I haven't really witnessed any significant others.

*Also, I think it can be assumed that Charles Bronson tops any "top..." or "best..." lists in the martial arts. Thank you.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kobayashi said:
I don't usually visit this subforum, but I'll give my two cents...

Mikhail Ryabko
Vladimir Vasiliev
Uncle Bill DeThouras

I trained under Keith Moffet in Colorado and frequently saw Uncle William de Thouras as well. There was once a demonstration on puaq wa that he did and I just stood there dumb founded... Watching this old man just decimate my entire school while doing very beautiful flowing display. One after another we would all try getting in on Uncle and everytime he would drop us like a bag of sand. I dont even want to remember the paq sau(hitting thru) drills...It was a blur after the first couple hits.

But I have to say that the most impressive thing about Uncle was how personable and kind he was all the time. He is definately one of the hidden gems in the world of martial arts.

Beau

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
2. Bignick (from this board).

And don't you forget it....

Shirt Ripper said:
*Also, I think it can be assumed that Charles Bronson tops any "top..." or "best..." lists in the martial arts. Thank you.

No doubt, no doubt...

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
But I have to say that the most impressive thing about Uncle was how personable and kind he was all the time. He is definately one of the hidden gems in the world of martial arts.

Bapak rules.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Bapak rules.

The best things were his stories about when he fought Java during WW2. That man had some stories that made your skin crawl but also many that were very inspiring. I really loved when he would come to watch class and hop in to show us a thing or two. Just having him around brought the whole class up a level. One interesting little thing was he was showing the wonder of pukalong(Like striking the incoming hand or body part of the attacker). He asked for a punch and wanted me to mean it. So I did and he did something that had me up on my toes and then thrashed to the ground. When I looked up he did it with one damn hand and was using the other to use my belt as a leash.... Uncle was a great influence in my life.

Course, I am equally thankful for my teacher Guru Keith Moffet as well. He taught me for almost 3 years. I bleed a lot, broke toes and cursed my fair share, but I loved every minute of it. When I was in school I was a member of a fraternity of wonderful men and woman. Guru Moffet taught us to be that person people could depend on and to watch out for those that arent looking. I truly wish I could have studied under him more, but the stresses of college destroyed me for a long while. I was truly thankful for the time I spent with him at Kun Lun Pai.

Beau

dstuart

White Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt...Hugh Van Putten. He created his own style called White Eyebrow Explosive Fist that is a combination of Kenpo, Hapkido, Escrima, and practical experience as a bodyguard. He is currently the martial arts coach of the Denver Nuggets.

If you ever get a chance to see him, take it. You will be amazed.

Latest Discussions