Who is the most Impressive martial artis that you have personaly seen

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
dstuart said:
Without a doubt...Hugh Van Putten. He created his own style called White Eyebrow Explosive Fist that is a combination of Kenpo, Hapkido, Escrima, and practical experience as a bodyguard. He is currently the martial arts coach of the Denver Nuggets.

If you ever get a chance to see him, take it. You will be amazed.
I know Hugh. We used to bang in the old days. We studied Hapkido with Sea Oh Choi, along with Cliff Stewart in the first Hapkido school in the country. Hugh was working part time as a box boy for Boys Market. Man that was a long time ago.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, good question. I don't know if 1 stands out overall, but I have a few.
Back in 1995 I got to see Jeff Speakman and he was pretty amazing.

Around 1991-1992 I saw Michael Bernardo do a Staff Form and that was pretty amazing.

In 1995 I got to see Pete "Sugarfoot" Cunningham kickbox and that was a blast.

I have seen many good forms competitors like: Carmichael Simon, Mike Chatterendabaut (sp?) and others..

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to see some pretty impressive Kenpoists up to now, and in no particular order,
My instructor Don Gardner, whose background is primarily in Chinese Kung Fu, and his power belies his stature.
Claus Pedersen, the head of our national organisation, his understanding gives me head aches and it is disturbing to see a man of his mass move so fluidly
Mr Eddy Downey from Ireland, is such an un-assuming ordinary type of guy, but when he nailed me with a front kick (bruising a couple of ribs in the process...) I thought I got hit by a bus
Mr Planas, he has probably forgotten more about martial arts than I will ever know, and watching him walk around, he looks like a fragile old man, but see him on the mats... How a man so small can generate so much power and throw a big lump like me around like a rag doll, I will never know.
Doc, from here on MT, great character, friendly outgoing personality, and dropped me like a sack of potatoes, when I regained control of my motor functions, I was smiling for weeks...
Not to forget his assistant that day Mr Perez, again another amiable guy who, from the little I was fortunate enough to see, is extremely knowledgable, and moves like a Tasmanian Devil.
Mr Kevin Mills from the UK (known here on MT as SION), when he whipped out his sword hand at my brother, my brother just turned white...
Mr Tatum, incredible speed and fluidity of motion, performed Sleeper on me, and even though I knew the strike to the side of the throat was coming and tried to get my hand up there, I was hit before my hand got above my waist...
There are many others I will probably remember at some later date, but that is the list as it came to mind just now.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
rziriak said:
Jeff Speakman
Dan Pribble

Greetings. Are you one of Jason Mather's students? I'm a friend of Dan and have been to a number of Mr. Speakman's classes, and have shared some mat time with Mr. Mather. Dan's a great guy and is enormously talented. Please slug Jason and tell its from me.

Once a year, our group has a training session out on one of our guy's property, outside of Capetown. Kenpo in the cowpies we call it. I will make it a point to drop into Mr. Mather's school when I'm there next.

Cheers and good day.

Steven Brown
UKF

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jeremy Horn
Renzo Gracie

Both were awesome in all ranges and had a real talent for teaching. Awesome martial artists.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Remy Presas, GM Wally Jay.
Although not as famous of a name, also Shihan Eric Alexander. A phenomenal fighter and he always "walked his talk."

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
I recently asked the question "Of All the 1st generation students out there who moves the most similar to Mr Parker?"

An even better question is. Who is the most impressive martial artist that you have ever seen.

In my opinion(besides Brue Lee) would be Morihei Ueshiba.His ability to blend the force of a violent attack into Harmony was legendary.In fact the entire Aiki conpect is quite elegent,but Ueshiba was able to make an unremakerable blend of the Aiki and Ju arts to make a beautiful self-defense art;which,when ulitilzed, is poetry in motion.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Edmund Kealoha Parker, Hawaii's greatest son. Moved like lightning, thumped like a bear with those big ole Hawaiian feet and hands, and always opened the way with a sense of humor and a twinkle in his eye.

I'm pushing 41 years old at the time of this posting; I first learned of Mr. Parker at 6 years old, saw him at a demo/seminar at eight, and admired his skill and abilities into adulthood. I hope to honor the man after his passing, and up to mine, by focusing on continuing to learn and pass on quality kenpo.

Respectfully,

Dave

PS -- Not hero worship; just respect for a man, worthy of respect.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our Professor Martin T Buell, I have not known him as a younger person, but for someone his age and with replacement hips..this guy is strong. Very humble and easy to talk to.

Usually when a question is ask about a certain technique...and you ask? He will tell you to come up...go thru the techniques and before you know it..."kapow"...your down...he moves so fast and powerful. Then explains the process....He is very nice about it too....we all have fun and learn alot too...

Being very bias here........Aloha

PS:Many of his top students are not well known..our Professor likes's to keep a low key.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bignicks got an instructor that I met this year for jujutsu...no longer in his hayday his movements still flow and look effortless...little guy that controls the situation no problem...also had more surgeries and been through more than any other person i know...tim cruff most impressive martial artist i've ever seen

seen a lot of people at competitions but they never seem to move far beyond the dicipline they train in (e.g. sparring) so i dont feel that they would be the most impressive martial artist i've seen...flashy yes but not good overall strengths

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tony Cogliandro - for his explanation and execution of Kenpo(concepts/theory/history/psychology etc..)

Chuck Norris - just for being Chuck Norris (nicest guy you will ever meet and very humble)

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Probably the most talented and impressive person I have seen as a Kenpoist is Mr. Jim Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell has such and extensive knowledge about Kenpo and he knows everything with such perfection and ability.

But two other people who strike my mind are Mr. Phillip Retana and Mr. Michael D. Witt. Mr. Retana has an amazing sparring technique and precision. He teaches my private classes and has a great way of explaining new techniques. His strenght and power that radiates from him when he sparrs and does techniques is impressive.

Mr. Witt is great at explaining the things and finding ways to alter a technique for people who can't execute techniques because of reasons of height, size, etc. Also how he can sparr while being very relaxed and calm gives him an advantage to others. Mr. Witt is one of the greatest people I have ever met and I enjoy being taught by him. I look up them all highly and admire their hardwork, dedication, and love of martial arts.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my eyes: Dad - Hapkido. All MSK hapkido dans are amazing, however I don't think I need to justify anymore.

Charles Hildebrand - Tae Kwon Do
Mike Swain - Judo
Kurt Angle - Greco
Bill Wallace - Point Fighting. This guy is amazing, he came to two of our national conventions. 2003 and 2004.

I met as well as had some training time Kurt and Mike while I wrestled for the Marine Corps. Truly outstanding athletes.

Latest Discussions