Who has contributed the most to JKD?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
The truth be told, the people who understand more about JKD, are people who are not involved in teaching JKD. Lee's fellow WC students when he was under Yip Man, have great insight into what JKD really is. Hawkin Cheung and William Cheung, have written insightful articles detailing the essence of JKD, both strenght, weakness and its core essence.

The truth be told, the people who understand more about JKD, are people who ARE involved in teaching JKD!

Those old guys knew Bruce well, but what JKD "was" and what JKD "is" are not one in the same! :D

S

sercuerdasfigther

akja,

that leads to the question "is jkd any better today then it was?"

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by sercuerdasfigther
akja,

that leads to the question "is jkd any better today then it was?"

First “those old guys” were not JKD people. They were Bruces peers in Hong Kong. Bruce left Hong Kong when he was 18. He stayed in contact with them, but they were not his students and and I don’t believe that they would of really “seen" JKD for what is. They themselves, all of them, have been and are still "bound" by their traditional systems.

Now I think that today JKD is what Bruce “in the end,” ultimately wanted for his art. JKD is about ourselves exploring our self-knowledge and self-discovery of “our” ultimate reality of combat.

But we must accept the bitter with the sweet. For the Yin to exist, there must be Yang. The politics and confusion of “whose right” is the bitter and the sweet is when we actually achieve our ultimate reality of combat.

If you listen to Helio Gracie, he says that all Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. It all came from the Gracies. It is similar with JKD. It all came from Bruce. First the techniques. Then the concepts and philosophical aspects of how to choose our techniques and make them work.

If I come to the conclusion that Bruces “Original” method is a great method to expand on. There should not be a problem. But why the label of OJKD or JKDC. I hear and see a lot and what most describe as JKD and what they are describing “both” OJKD and JKDC is me.

I do see though that the concern is valid on both sides and sometimes I do lean in 1 particular direction. What I don’t agree with on the concept portion is that JKD is not an art. It is not 100% concepts and philosophy. If it was, it would only exist in our minds or it would be taught in every martial art school imaginable with no credit to JKD.

JKD is a concept and a martial art. We use the concepts combined with the art to achieve “our ultimate reality.” Todays JKD that was taught with Jun Fan as a base is both a martial art and a concept. If one is fortunate enough to understand the concepts then they have the right to do whatever they chose to with their art and or concepts.

But it is wrong to say that my way is right and your way is wrong. My way is not your way. My self-knowledge can be shared with you, but will not make it the same.

So I feel that the “way of no way, the art of no art” is definitely better today but somethings that have been done and said by the heavy hitters of the art and concepts can be done without.

:asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no such thing as JKD as a martial art. Bruce Lee had pointed out in his own words that he did NOT invented a new style, nor HIS OWN fighting method. JKD is a method (a scientific method) to train in martial arts. A true JKD practioner, applies the JKD method to learn (and refine) other martial arts. I have yet to hear any JKD people truly comprehend this point. They all yep non-stop about Jun Fan this , jun fan that, OJKD, JKDC etc etc etc. Missing the point completely. Non of those has anything to do what JKD really is. It is nothing more than Bruce Lee's method, apporach, philosophy to learn, train and apply OTHER martial arts!! It is NOT Bruce Lee's fighting method.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Akja, I didn't mean for the previous post to offend you (only mean for other JKD talkingheads in the magazines ). While I disagree to many of your viewpoints, you are still a stand up guy in my book. You believe in yourself and your skills, and that is all good. (BTW, you really don't know jack sh#$ about JKD, bro! :D )

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Akja, I didn't mean for the previous post to offend you (only mean for other JKD talkingheads in the magazines ). While I disagree to many of your viewpoints, you are still a stand up guy in my book. You believe in yourself and your skills, and that is all good. (BTW, you really don't know jack sh#$ about JKD, bro! :D )

Ken, where have you been? I missed ya!

Heres a reading thats kind of in between what "we" are "seeing."

A few words from Tim Tacket an older guy from behind the scenes a bit.

"When I studied JKD with Dan Inosanto in the backyard, Bruce was still alive, and there was a way to do things. There was a way to do the lead punch. There was a way to do the side kick. These are just 2 examples of many. There is a core curriculum. This doesn't mean that you should be bound by it. If you can find a better way, by all means throw the JKD method away. JKD has a basic structure. The punches and kicks that Bruce taught work best from that structure. There are also basic prinicples. For example, Bruce said to avoid passive moves as blocking is the least efficient method of defense. He also stressed that you should have the minimum of resposes to a single stimulus. To understand JKD you need to understand its structure.

Heres the direct link:

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?postid=74650#post74650

Also alot of Bruces "own words" contradicted himself. They're a;; in print but we have to understand "his evolution" to be able to take them in context.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee's half assed attempt at mixing his philosophy with MA and without a cohesive effort to organize and structure his thought, left a bunch of confusing notes behind for John Little and other editors to sort out.

I disagree with the statement that Bruce Lee's fellow students from his Yip Man era do not know as much about Lee's JKD. If you have read their writings and analysis of JKD, you might see it differently.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee's half assed attempt at mixing his philosophy with MA and without a cohesive effort to organize and structure his thought, left a bunch of confusing notes behind for John Little and other editors to sort out.

I disagree with the statement that Bruce Lee's fellow students from his Yip Man era do not know as much about Lee's JKD. If you have read their writings and analysis of JKD, you might see it differently.

I've read a bit here and there, but the biggest factor was that they were not physically there. Mostly they kept in contact with Bruce through letters and when Bruce would make it back to Hong Kong. That hardly makes them "authorities" on the "evolution" that Bruce went through in America. Also Bruces "attempt" at mixing philosiphy and MA was that of a "young mind."

He came here when he was 18. He no longer had an instructor and America at that time was not very skilled in MA. He set out on his own and what came of it is the changes that "Bruce" went through from age 18 to the time of his death at 32 or 33.

My Sigung was NOT trained primarily in a concept manner, nor was I but I accept both the original and concept as ONE. Thats me.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You said you are only briefly acquanted with their analysis, yet you saw fit to dismiss their analysis.... ;) lol

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You said you are only briefly acquanted with their analysis, yet you saw fit to dismiss their analysis.... ;) lol

I did not dismiss their analysis. Based on "our" other posts, I said that they were not in my opinion "authorities" compared to those who actually teach JKD.

That was what I meant anyway.

S

sniperB-4

I would have to say Dan Inosanto, but I think that Paul Vunak and Kelly Worden have done amazing things streamlining and making JKD an even more street oriented art. They have simplified and added a new level of brutal efficiency and aggressive nature.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since JKD is designed to be a personalized system, as long as someone trains diligently, they are contributing the most to their JKD.

Now, if you're talking in terms of popularizing JKD, that's another matter. I'd have to say Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak, Chris Kent, Tim Tackett, Larry Hartsell, Burton Richardson, and John Little. Not only are some of these people big names in JKD, but many of them have written fairly popular books on JKD, or in the case of Burton Richardson, write regular magazine articles about JKD.

I'm sure I've missed a few names that follow under the same criteria, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Cthulhu

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the answer would be Guro Dan Inosonto,but to tell ya the truth who would come in to tie for first,or be a close second would be Larry Hatsell,and Richard Bustillo.

B

Black Bear

No doubt Dan Inosanto. While everyone else is debating, he's been out there doing it. Seeking out the best fighters in all the cultures of the world. I mean, the guy's a zillion years old and rolling with the Machados.

Vunak is not my favourite JKD man in the world, but anyone who talks trash without having worked with his material firsthand... meh. *shakes head*

I think the greatest innovator in JKD TODAY is Matt Thornton. Amazing scholar-warrior in the tradition of Lee. His is the cutting edge at this moment.

B

Black Bear

Wow, another Matt Thornton fan! Last place I thought I'd find one.

S

Shiatsu

You won't find many here. Combat solutions forum has some too!

B

Black Bear

Whoa, Mousel's sure looks different than it did when I last visted it... five years ago?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Black Bear
Whoa, Mousel's sure looks different than it did when I last visted it... five years ago?

The JKD discussion is a bit childish but sometimes interesting.

Latest Discussions